The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This will just create even more tension and some extremist muslim is bound to retalite. Not a good idea at all.
Bslforever
Ahh, another Christian organisation sabotaging the name of Christianity.

This. It's a shame for them :dontknow:
How silly. Fighting extremism with extremism. And they're not even fighting, they're making an offensive gesture towards millions of people who have done nothing to deserve it. I don't know what exactly they think they're going to get out of this.
near_comatose
lol i'm sure some mosques organise much worse things than burning some bibles (not advocating the burning of anything either way.. not really condoning it either, though) :/

Yes mosques in dirt poor areas of the World's poorest nations (usually invaded by the Americans :s-smilie: ) not mosques in the world's most advanced nations. Poverty brews extremism which makes this all the most disturbing as its happening in a wealthy "civilised" country.
Reply 104
If they really wanted to piss off Muslims, they shouldn't burn the Qu'rans, they should go into bookshops, and secretly rip the last page out of every copy - ruins the story...

But seriously, this has more to do with people in that church being dicks than being christians (dicks come in all shapes and sizes, colours and creeds - but they are united by their dickishness)
Folderol
No, I don't. In fact I have categorically said today: "I don't agree with military engagement (i.e, combat troops) on Iranian soil and nor do I agree with military engagement on Iranian soil". I really have no idea where you get that I support an invasion of Iran from.

Yes.

I, personally, have no interest in burning any religious text but I would say that American flags, British flags, Bibles, Torahs, Qurans should be allowed to burnt, yes.

:jumphug:
Karl-fresher2be
im not saying this is a good idea but they come to our country drive about in posh cars, get benefits and moan about us being racist.. were not allowed pirmary songs such as bla bla BLACK sheep had to remove the name of blackboards (this could go on and on..) imagine if we went there country and tried to build a church not a chance !!

There's churches in every country you dickhead. Learn the facts then talk.
Reply 107
Folderol
Oh, I agree there should be limits on the freedom of speech so far as they cause direct, non-consensual, percievable harm. As Mill argued in On Liberty. The rest of your post should be addressed by this, I hope.

but that is not what you said to Govnur...
Karl-fresher2be
ofcourse its related u dope they do alot worse than us burning a book ..

:rofl: you do know that islam is not a race? It's got nothing to do with blacks or any other race.
Obadetona
I think it's completely stupid that anyone would even contemplate this. A day based on hatred of another religion :sigh:

DEVILS ADVOCATE: Well Muslims do a lot worse things than that to people who don't agree with them.

I disagree, a Muslim would never do that. We believe in the Bible, so anyone that would contemplate burning the Bible, is by default a non-Muslim. I find this atrocious :mad:
Reply 110
younglawyer
I disagree, a Muslim would never do that. We believe in the Bible, so anyone that would contemplate burning the Bible, is by default a non-Muslim. I find this atrocious

You believe in the bible so much that in most muslim states you can be killed or punished for owning one or passing one on if you are a Muslim? I see.
Reply 111
vnupe
but that is not what you said to Govnur...

I've had a consistent view on the limits of freedom of speech for over a year. I didn't just change my mind. I have essays going back months. Could you please quote where you think I'm being inconsistent? :smile:
Reply 112
moregano
How silly. Fighting extremism with extremism. And they're not even fighting, they're making an offensive gesture towards millions of people who have done nothing to deserve it. I don't know what exactly they think they're going to get out of this.

Publicity and self satisfaction... they really are blinded by this pseudo-christain ideology that they share... when it is not very Christian at all... I don't quite understand it either
Elipsis
You believe in the bible so much that in most muslim states you can be killed or punished for owning one or passing one on if you are a Muslim? I see.

I don't know where you got that from but I take it, it's a very backward country. I'm British but where my parents come from, we lived amongst Christians, Hindus and Muslims, we celebrated Christmas, so my view may be slightly distorted. But again, these states that claim to be "Muslims" if in fact they persecute people for passing on the Bible, are not true Muslims.
I think its a mess. But I guess it makes a change.
Elipsis

So I guess Zakir Naik should be persecuted. :lolwut:
Reply 116
Magic_007
:jumphug:

:confused: .. :awesome:
TheProdigy2k9
There's churches in every country you dickhead. Learn the facts then talk.

DICKHEAD, ill slap you... sorry bigman forgot I were speaking to DEVVO
Obadetona
I think it's completely stupid that anyone would even contemplate this. A day based on hatred of another religion :sigh:

DEVILS ADVOCATE: Well Muslims do a lot worse things than that to people who don't agree with them.

They dont do it to people who dont agree with them, rather those that choose to ridicule and insult their religion, and in their eyes, invade their countries etc.

I dont remember a case of muslims 'doing worse things' to people that dont agree with them.
younglawyer
I disagree, a Muslim would never do that. We believe in the Bible, so anyone that would contemplate burning the Bible, is by default a non-Muslim. I find this atrocious :mad:

this

Latest

Trending

Trending