The Student Room Group

How do university credits work?

I'm so confused. Ok. I'm going to be doing a biomedical course at university this summer. If I get more than 60% at the end of my first year, I can then be transferred onto the first year of pharmacy. I just wanted to know if my first year means a lot in terms of my pharmacy degree? I know I need the marks to be transferred but do the 'credits' for those exams or whatever they are get added up right at the end of my MPharm degree or do they not mean much once I enter my pharmacy degree?
1. What are credits and how do they work?
2. I have 10 credit points from an OU course and what on Earth does that mean?
3. Do they decide whether you get a first/2:1 etc?

Please,please help!!!!
completely depends on the university

all of them have different ways of doing things
Reply 2
didgeridoo12uk
completely depends on the university

all of them have different ways of doing things

Oh no :frown:
PotterLover
Oh no :frown:

just ask current students at the university on here, and i'm sure they'll explain how it works
PotterLover
I'm so confused. Ok. I'm going to be doing a biomedical course at university this summer. If I get more than 60% at the end of my first year, I can then be transferred onto the first year of pharmacy. I just wanted to know if my first year means a lot in terms of my pharmacy degree? I know I need the marks to be transferred but do the 'credits' for those exams or whatever they are get added up right at the end of my MPharm degree or do they not mean much once I enter my pharmacy degree?
1. What are credits and how do they work?
2. I have 10 credit points from an OU course and what on Earth does that mean?
3. Do they decide whether you get a first/2:1 etc?

Please,please help!!!!

At my uni.
You need a 120 credits to pass first year.

15 credits per module
8 modules.

Even if you get 40% in one of the modules ( Which is the pass rate ) you still get those 15 credits.

If you need 60% to transfer..
Then you'll need to aim for high 2.2's...2.1's/1sts in all your modules/assignments in first year.
In theory your credits don't count towards your transfer because you could get 50% across all your modules and still get those 15 credits for each module. But you will only average out at 50%, which means you can't transfer, because they've asked for 60%.

I have no idea about the structure of a pharmacy degree.. Whether they have modules or if it's practical. Pharmacy might even follow a completely different route with the credit system. But if not it should be something similar to this.
Reply 5
Lilrascal19
At my uni.
You need a 120 credits to pass first year.

15 credits per module
8 modules.

Even if you get 40% in one of the modules ( Which is the pass rate ) you still get those 15 credits.

If you need 60% to transfer..
Then you'll need to aim for high 2.2's...2.1's/1sts in all your modules/assignments in first year.
In theory your credits don't count towards your transfer because you could get 50% across all your modules and still get those 15 credits for each module. But you will only average out at 50%, which means you can't transfer, because they've asked for 60%.

I have no idea about the structure of a pharmacy degree.. Whether they have modules or if it's practical. Pharmacy might even follow a completely different route with the credit system. But if not it should be something similar to this.

Thank you! I know this sounds stupid but do you get 2:1/First etc for each year? Or is there an 'overall' 2:1/First for the entire degree eg,MPharm? How is that calculated? Do they add up all your scores from every year? And if so,would my foundation year scores/credits count?
PotterLover
Thank you! I know this sounds stupid but do you get 2:1/First etc for each year? Or is there an 'overall' 2:1/First for the entire degree eg,MPharm? How is that calculated? Do they add up all your scores from every year? And if so,would my foundation year scores/credits count?

They will add up your scores for each module.
So if you're in first year...

8 modules and lets say you got:

1) 58% - 2.2
2) 67% - 2.1
3) 71% - 1st
4) 75% - 1st
5) 62% - 2.1
6) 66% - 2.1
7) 80% - 1st
8) 63% - 2.1

They'll add that all up and divide it by 8... So that would be 67% on average which equates to a 2.1.

First year doesn't tend to count towards your degree. (At some uni's it does though)

Second year is usually worth 40% of your degree

So if you got those results in your second year... it would be 26.8% of the 40% for second year.

Third year is usually worth 60% of your degree.
So you'll need something like 60% overall in your third year modules to get a 2.1 overall for your degree.

I haven't got the slightest clue about foundation degree's and whether they count towards your degree.
Sorry.
But I hope the rest helps:smile:
Reply 7
logic123
i like having sex aswell

uh? I don't get the relation! :confused:
Reply 8
asanni
uh? I don't get the relation! :confused:

It was just random sarcasm I presume :biggrin:

Or just sexually frustrated? :yep:
Reply 9