The Student Room Group

access course grades

For each module/unit you do, will you get told whether you got pass, merit or distinction? Or do you have to wait till results day where you find out about your whole qualification?

More specifically about Highbury online access course
Original post by cherryhitchkins
For each module/unit you do, will you get told whether you got pass, merit or distinction? Or do you have to wait till results day where you find out about your whole qualification?

More specifically about Highbury online access course

They should tell you the marks right after you have completed the module.

The grades will get will be determined by the size of the module e.g. if it's a 3 credit module, you will get 3 grades DMM for example. The grade you will get for the specific module will be the average of the module e.g. M for the previous 3 credit module.

Where you would see an even split in modules (e.g. 6 credit modules), and the average is on a grade boundary (e.g. DDDMMM), the tutor will have to make a judgement call on what grade to assign for the overall module. The tutor would look at the essentials of the grading criteria and needs to ensure you have at least met the minimum requirements before giving you the grade e.g. Harvard Referencing, SPAG, etc. If these are not met, he/she will more likely to reward you with the lower grade e.g. M.
Original post by MindMax2000
They should tell you the marks right after you have completed the module.

The grades will get will be determined by the size of the module e.g. if it's a 3 credit module, you will get 3 grades DMM for example. The grade you will get for the specific module will be the average of the module e.g. M for the previous 3 credit module.

Where you would see an even split in modules (e.g. 6 credit modules), and the average is on a grade boundary (e.g. DDDMMM), the tutor will have to make a judgement call on what grade to assign for the overall module. The tutor would look at the essentials of the grading criteria and needs to ensure you have at least met the minimum requirements before giving you the grade e.g. Harvard Referencing, SPAG, etc. If these are not met, he/she will more likely to reward you with the lower grade e.g. M.

How does ungraded credits work? the work says its ungraded but then it says its got 3 credits

If universities are looking for 30 distinctions and 15 merits, do you count the individual grades you got and not the overall one? If that made sense. because in total there are only 20-21 modules so u cant get 30 distinctions from there
How does ungraded credits work? the work says its ungraded but then it says its got 3 credits

If universities are looking for 30 distinctions and 15 merits, do you count the individual grades you got and not the overall one? If that made sense. because in total there are only 20-21 modules so u cant get 30 distinctions from there

The undgraded credits are capped at a Pass. They don't count towards the overall grade, but it's necessary for you to cover the basics e.g. how to write academically, how to research for your assignments, SPAG, basic maths, etc. If you don't pass these, then you might have problems with the rest of the course (I don't know what the consequences are, but they are very difficult not to pass; you should also get 2 attempts at this)

The grades are based on the credits, and it's based on the overall grade of the units, not the individual grades within the units.
For example, if you have DMP in one unit, your average is M for the 3 credit unit. For application purposes, this means you have 3M in the bank.

If you need 30 distinctions and 15 credits for example, you cannot afford to have a 9 credit module and a 6 credit module (15 credits in total) below a merit, whilst you have every other units as straight distinctions. Likewise, you cannot afford to have one 6 credit unit and 3 3 credit units (6+3*3= 15 credits) below a merit whilst you have the rest at distinctions.

I don't know what Highbury's policies are, but you usually only get 2 attempts at the graded modules. If you have to submit your work for the second time, your grade will be capped at a pass for that unit. Getting the work right the first time round is pretty important.
The undgraded credits are capped at a Pass. They don't count towards the overall grade, but it's necessary for you to cover the basics e.g. how to write academically, how to research for your assignments, SPAG, basic maths, etc. If you don't pass these, then you might have problems with the rest of the course (I don't know what the consequences are, but they are very difficult not to pass; you should also get 2 attempts at this)

The grades are based on the credits, and it's based on the overall grade of the units, not the individual grades within the units.
For example, if you have DMP in one unit, your average is M for the 3 credit unit. For application purposes, this means you have 3M in the bank.

If you need 30 distinctions and 15 credits for example, you cannot afford to have a 9 credit module and a 6 credit module (15 credits in total) below a merit, whilst you have every other units as straight distinctions. Likewise, you cannot afford to have one 6 credit unit and 3 3 credit units (6+3*3= 15 credits) below a merit whilst you have the rest at distinctions.

I don't know what Highbury's policies are, but you usually only get 2 attempts at the graded modules. If you have to submit your work for the second time, your grade will be capped at a pass for that unit. Getting the work right the first time round is pretty important.

Maybe because i am overthinking it, it seems confusing

So if I get DDP and that module/unit is worth 3 credits, as the overall grade for that specific module will be 3D/D3?

The highest credits for my course is 6
If i get PPPPMD, my overall grade will be 3P?

If the uni i want to go is asking for this: “minimum of 30 level 3 units at Distinction and 15 level 3 units at Merit”. As the overall grade, will i need to get distinction for 10 modules and merit for 5 modules?
(edited 1 year ago)
Maybe because i am overthinking it, it seems confusing

So if I get DDP and that module/unit is worth 3 credits, as the overall grade for that specific module will be 3D/D3?

The highest credits for my course is 6
If i get PPPPMD, my overall grade will be 3P?

If the uni i want to go is asking for this: “minimum of 30 level 3 units at Distinction and 15 level 3 units at Merit”. As the overall grade, will i need to get distinction for 10 modules and merit for 5 modules?

If you get DDP in a 3 credit module, it's going to be likely to be a merit grade for the unit.
Think of a D = 3, M =2, P = 1. 2*3+1 = 7/9 which is closer to a Merit (6/9) than a distinction (9/9). If it was a DDM (8/9), you get more leway to calling it a distinction. Do note, they don't use the above numbering system to grade units, it's just what I use for illustration purposes.

If you get PPPPMD, you will likely get 6P (6 for the number of credits) i.e. 9/18 is half way between 6/18 (pass) and 12/18 (merit), but it's leaning more towards a pass becuase you got 4Ps instead of more merits and distinctions.

I don't know what your units are and how many credits you get for those units, so I can't say. The overall grades they are looking for is 30 credits distinctions and 15 credits merits, which is pretty standard for most university courses.
If you get DDP in a 3 credit module, it's going to be likely to be a merit grade for the unit.
Think of a D = 3, M =2, P = 1. 2*3+1 = 7/9 which is closer to a Merit (6/9) than a distinction (9/9). If it was a DDM (8/9), you get more leway to calling it a distinction. Do note, they don't use the above numbering system to grade units, it's just what I use for illustration purposes.

If you get PPPPMD, you will likely get 6P (6 for the number of credits) i.e. 9/18 is half way between 6/18 (pass) and 12/18 (merit), but it's leaning more towards a pass becuase you got 4Ps instead of more merits and distinctions.

I don't know what your units are and how many credits you get for those units, so I can't say. The overall grades they are looking for is 30 credits distinctions and 15 credits merits, which is pretty standard for most university courses.

with any access course, ur able to get 30 distinctions and 15 merits right?
How many modules will i need to get distinction in?
and how many modules will i need to get merit in?
How many modules will i need to get distinction in?
and how many modules will i need to get merit in?

Yes, you can get the same grades in any Access course.

How many modules will i need to get distinction in? and how many modules will i need to get merit in?
This would depend on the size of the units (number of credits), as the size of units will vary (not all are 3 credit units, and not all are 6 credit units).
Yes, you can get the same grades in any Access course.

How many modules will i need to get distinction in? and how many modules will i need to get merit in?
This would depend on the size of the units (number of credits), as the size of units will vary (not all are 3 credit units, and not all are 6 credit units).

this is what my course says:
5 ungraded credit 3 module
13 graded credit 3 module
1 graded credit 6 module
2 ungraded o credit module
this is what my course says:
5 ungraded credit 3 module
13 graded credit 3 module
1 graded credit 6 module
2 ungraded o credit module

I will ignore the ungreaded modules, as they won't count towards your grade.

Assuming that you have achieved distinctions in your 6 credit module, you can only afford to have 5 modules at merit.
If you have achieved merit in your 6 credit module, then you can only afford 3 modules at merit.
Everything else needs to be at distinction.
I will ignore the ungreaded modules, as they won't count towards your grade.

Assuming that you have achieved distinctions in your 6 credit module, you can only afford to have 5 modules at merit.
If you have achieved merit in your 6 credit module, then you can only afford 3 modules at merit.
Everything else needs to be at distinction.

What if i only get pass in 6 credit module

Ignoring the 6 credit module and the undrgaded ones, how many modules do i need to get distinction and merits in ?
What if i only get pass in 6 credit module

Ignoring the 6 credit module and the undrgaded ones, how many modules do i need to get distinction and merits in ?

If you only get passes in the 6 credit unit, then you fail to meet the grade requirement of 30D and 15M. The rest of the grades won't matter per se as the grading system doesn't quite work that way.

If you are looking for equivalent UCAS points, then you would need 128 UCAS points. The equivalent of 128 UCAS points can be 36D, 3M, 6P. However, that's if the university is particularly lenient (if you have 39D and 6P, then it raises a few questions).
If you only get passes in the 6 credit unit, then you fail to meet the grade requirement of 30D and 15M. The rest of the grades won't matter per se as the grading system doesn't quite work that way.

If you are looking for equivalent UCAS points, then you would need 128 UCAS points. The equivalent of 128 UCAS points can be 36D, 3M, 6P. However, that's if the university is particularly lenient (if you have 39D and 6P, then it raises a few questions).

If I get 30 credits from 10 modules that are worth 3 credits
and with the 6 credit module I get a merit, I will still be able to get 30D and 15M right?
If I get 30 credits from 10 modules that are worth 3 credits
and with the 6 credit module I get a merit, I will still be able to get 30D and 15M right?

If you get straight distinctions from 30 credits, you will get 30 distinctions. If you get 6 credits at merit, you will get 6 meits. However, you still need to get 9 credits (the 3 remaining 3 credit units) at merit in order to mee the 30D 15M requirement (there are 45 credits that are graded in any Access course).
If you get straight distinctions from 30 credits, you will get 30 distinctions. If you get 6 credits at merit, you will get 6 meits. However, you still need to get 9 credits (the 3 remaining 3 credit units) at merit in order to mee the 30D 15M requirement (there are 45 credits that are graded in any Access course).

okay I sort of get it
Did anyone do learn direct access course ? Did anyone’s grades modify in final grading stage at the end before certificate. I have 27 credits at distinction from my tutors and I need overall 30. I’m hoping one of my merit grades change to distinction. Is this possible? What should I do !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending