The Student Room Group

I have 'pass' credits in my access to HE, should I still apply to competitve unis?

I hoped to apply to either the University of Warwick, the University of Birmingham or the University of Nottingham; however, I have six pass credits in my access to the HE course. The rest are at distinction, and I feel I make a good student.

I'm a little worried my pass credits mean my application will be disregarded in these competitive universities. Please let me know what your thoughts are.

I am looking to do a business management course.
Original post by Marcusceb
I hoped to apply to either the University of Warwick, the University of Birmingham or the University of Nottingham; however, I have six pass credits in my access to the HE course. The rest are at distinction, and I feel I make a good student.

I'm a little worried my pass credits mean my application will be disregarded in these competitive universities. Please let me know what your thoughts are.

You are right to be concerned.

For their Management BSc, Warwick want "45 Credits at Level 3, including Distinction in 33 Level 3 credits and Merit in 12 Level 3 Credits".
For their Business Management BSc, Birmingham make no mention of a Access to HE Diploma and being an acceptable entry qualification and say here that "Access to HE qualifications will be considered by some programmes. However, this is usually on a case-by-case basis check our course finder for more information." That doesn't sound promising.
For their Management BSc, Nottingham suggest that they might accept an Access to HE Diploma but point you towards this page which says that for an AAA course (which this is) they require 36 distinctions, 9 merits, and 0 passes.

Unfortunately, the fact that you say, "I feel I make a good student" won't be of much help. It's demonstrable academic performance, as measured by grades and exams, that they're looking for. You might need to set your sights a little lower, uni-wise. :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You are right to be concerned.

For their Management BSc, Warwick want "45 Credits at Level 3, including Distinction in 33 Level 3 credits and Merit in 12 Level 3 Credits".
For their Business Management BSc, Birmingham make no mention of a Access to HE Diploma and being an acceptable entry qualification and say here that "Access to HE qualifications will be considered by some programmes. However, this is usually on a case-by-case basis check our course finder for more information." That doesn't sound promising.
For their Management BSc, Nottingham suggest that they might accept an Access to HE Diploma but point you towards this page which says that for an AAA course (which this is) they require 36 distinctions, 9 merits, and 0 passes.

Unfortunately, the fact that you say, "I feel I make a good student" won't be of much help. It's demonstrable academic performance, as measured by grades and exams, that they're looking for. You might need to set your sights a little lower, uni-wise. :frown:

Thank you for your reply, I thought this might be the case. :frown:

Hey @Marcusceb 👋

Were these pass credits in modules where the only options were pass/fail or were they modules where a merit or distinction could have been achieved? How many distinctions credits did you get, have you completed your course yet?

It would be a good idea to email or call the admissions departments of the high entry requirement unis you are hoping to apply for.

You do get up to 5 choices so by all means apply to these unis but have some insurance options too with more flexible entry requirements that you would be happy to attend if your first choices don't work out. You need to be happy wherever you end up as it will be your home for at least 3 years.

Your personal statement is important too so take your time with that and tailor it to a business management degree that would be applicable to any university.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 4
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey @Marcusceb 👋

Were these pass credits in modules where the only options were pass/fail or were they modules where a merit or distinction could have been achieved? How many distinctions credits did you get, have you completed your course yet?

It would be a good idea to email or call the admissions departments of the high entry requirement unis you are hoping to apply for.

You do get up to 5 choices so by all means apply to these unis but have some insurance options too with more flexible entry requirements that you would be happy to attend if your first choices don't work out. You need to be happy wherever you end up as it will be your home for at least 3 years.

Your personal statement is important too so take your time with that and tailor it to a business management degree that would be applicable to any university.

Best wishes

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid they were graded. I'll certainly contact some of those uni's, but I'll make sure I have some more realistic options also. Thank you :smile:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid they were graded. I'll certainly contact some of those uni's, but I'll make sure I have some more realistic options also. Thank you :smile:

You're welcome 😊

I did an access course too, in science. When I was applying to uni I wasn't really sure about how entry requirements worked for the Access to HE, so I hedged my bets and applied for a couple of courses that had a foundation year. I don't know which uni in Birmingham you were looking at but at a glance Birmingham Newman offer a business management degree with a foundation year.

It depends on what you would prefer to do. A foundation adds an extra year, and the costs that go along with that. Or heading straight into year one at a different uni with lower entry requirements.

In my experience, I applied for the 3 year course and the foundation year course at Essex and was accepted for both thankfully so I decided to go for it and not do a foundation year as I found my access course was enough prep for me to manage year one of biomed without too much stress.

Best wishes
Reply 6
Just to add the foundation year is a one possibility or possibly a HNC which is the level 4. More options on top I did all accountancy modules to HND. Also BTECs made the degree 1 year top up easy.
Reply 7
Does anyone know if taking extra credits will help? I am in a similar situation to op - 6 credits that were capped at a pass, the rest are all distinctions.
Original post by AlexM12093
Does anyone know if taking extra credits will help? I am in a similar situation to op - 6 credits that were capped at a pass, the rest are all distinctions.

Hey @AlexM12093 👋

The modules that are capped at a pass are fine. The ones where the only option is pass/fail don't count against you if you've passed them. Fantastic results getting all distinctions, well done!

Best wishes
Reply 9
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey @AlexM12093 👋

The modules that are capped at a pass are fine. The ones where the only option is pass/fail don't count against you if you've passed them. Fantastic results getting all distinctions, well done!

Best wishes

Sorry if it wasn’t clear but it’s a graded unit that’s been capped. I have 39 credits at distinction and 6 at pass. If I take extra credits so I have a total of 45 credits at merit or above, would the universities take this into account?
Original post by AlexM12093
Sorry if it wasn’t clear but it’s a graded unit that’s been capped. I have 39 credits at distinction and 6 at pass. If I take extra credits so I have a total of 45 credits at merit or above, would the universities take this into account?

I get you. If you're able to take extra credits and can get a merit or above for those then you should definitely try to. A lot of uni's will accept a mix of distinctions and merits, some top unis might want all distinctions. But like I mentioned to OP it's a good idea to get in touch with the admissions departments of some unis you're interested in to see how strict their entry requirements actually are.

Best wishes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending