The Student Room Group

Universal credit single mum help?

Hi I'm looking to start university in 2023, I currently recieve universal credit, standard allowance, child allowance, housing benefit and also disality entitlement for my daughter. I've been trying to figure out how my UC will be affected, I'm told it's all based on what student finance give to me and I have to accept what ever they give as UC will consider it as an income and that it was available to me if I turn it down.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, single parent, did you still recieve your housing benifit and child allowance? How much student finance did you get and how was it deducted? Where you still okay? Like payment wise was it around the same as before?
Original post by Sophie elliott
Hi I'm looking to start university in 2023, I currently recieve universal credit, standard allowance, child allowance, housing benefit and also disality entitlement for my daughter. I've been trying to figure out how my UC will be affected, I'm told it's all based on what student finance give to me and I have to accept what ever they give as UC will consider it as an income and that it was available to me if I turn it down.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, single parent, did you still recieve your housing benifit and child allowance? How much student finance did you get and how was it deducted? Where you still okay? Like payment wise was it around the same as before?

Are you doing a full time or part time course? If it’s full time, you cannot be at uni and receive benefits, as well :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DrSmile
Are you doing a full time or part time course? If it’s full time, you cannot be at uni and receive benefits, as well :smile:

You can be studying full time and receive benefits, i am a single parent and a full time student and receive them. Im not sure of OPs relationship status and whether it differs on other household income.
Student finance will be calculated as income whether you take it or not and it does affect my UC quite a bit, which is annoying considering finance needs to be paid back and isnt really an income in my eyes.
hope you worked out your situation ok OP
Reply 3
I looked into this and for a Allied health course, I would get £12k student loan (with special support element), £8000 NHS bursary, £1900 parental allowance grant and £17K childcare grant. The only part the UC take into account is £12K - £4K (special support element) so they use around £6 for the income for the year, which would still give me about £1000 a month with UC. :smile:
Reply 4
Student Income and Universal Credit
Guidance on how student income should be calculated in Universal Credit awards. if you type that into google -bristol uni universal credit they break it down really easy to understand
Reply 5
Original post by Lunathree
You can be studying full time and receive benefits, i am a single parent and a full time student and receive them. Im not sure of OPs relationship status and whether it differs on other household income.
Student finance will be calculated as income whether you take it or not and it does affect my UC quite a bit, which is annoying considering finance needs to be paid back and isnt really an income in my eyes.

When I worked mine out it seemed they'd only be working it out on about £6K as NHS training grants/parental allowance or childcare grant are not taken into account
Reply 6
Original post by alrowley18
Student Income and Universal Credit
Guidance on how student income should be calculated in Universal Credit awards. if you type that into google -bristol uni universal credit they break it down really easy to understand

This really helped tysm xxx
Here the site if anyone wants a quick route
https://www.uwe.ac.uk/courses/funding/full-time-undergraduate-funding/student-income-and-universal-credit
Reply 7
Original post by Lunathree
H - I am in a very similar position. I am now considering leaving Uni even though I was supposed to be joining the final year of the Bed next year in order to complete my teaching degree. I feel it's been such a waste of the last 2 years!
Original post by alrowley18
I looked into this and for a Allied health course, I would get £12k student loan (with special support element), £8000 NHS bursary, £1900 parental allowance grant and £17K childcare grant. The only part the UC take into account is £12K - £4K (special support element) so they use around £6 for the income for the year, which would still give me about £1000 a month with UC. :smile:

Hi, I’m in a similar situation to you and I’m wondering whether it would be ok for me to PM you for some info? Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending