The Student Room Group

Failing

Got no clue about university and struggling with work load. exams and assignments are timed badly and feel like i lack enough knowledge especially with strikes and my own fault tbh, 2 of my accounting modules im struggling with yet i think i passed one, how many can modules can i fail. And if i fail a resit do i automatically just fail it and proceed to second year or can i not fail at all and have to retake the year as a whole.

And how do i contact my personal tutor/advisor really not sure

and if i manage to get through sexond year and drop out do i still leave with a level 5 qualification.

thanks
Original post by tonyscott
Got no clue about university and struggling with work load. exams and assignments are timed badly and feel like i lack enough knowledge especially with strikes and my own fault tbh, 2 of my accounting modules im struggling with yet i think i passed one, how many can modules can i fail. And if i fail a resit do i automatically just fail it and proceed to second year or can i not fail at all and have to retake the year as a whole.

And how do i contact my personal tutor/advisor really not sure

and if i manage to get through sexond year and drop out do i still leave with a level 5 qualification.

thanks

Different universities have different policies when it comes to failed modules, resits, exit awards etc. Which university are you at?

(That's also an important piece of information required to answer your question about contacting your personal tutor/advisor.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Different universities have different policies when it comes to failed modules, resits, exit awards etc. Which university are you at?

(That's also an important piece of information required to answer your question about contacting your personal tutor/advisor.)

Im at queen mary
Im at queen mary

OK, you've basically got three questions.

1. What are rules governing progression from one year to the next?
The rules are described in section 4 ("Progression and Award: Undergraduate Programmes") of their Academic Regulations 2022-23, here. Note what they say about the fact that "Certain programmes have special regulations", which I will assume is not the case for your degree.

Are you taking either a BA, BEng, LLB, BSc, BSc (Econ), or BSc (Eng)? If so, then paragraph 4.26 applies, which says,

"To progress from one developmental year to the next ... a student must both:
i take and pass modules as follows: ... Pass a minimum 90 credits in year one. Achieve a minimum weighted average year mark of 40.0 or higher.
ii fail (after resit) no more than 30 credits in any one developmental year."

Your specific question was, "how many can modules can i fail"? That would depend on how many credits each module is worth, but is likely to be one or two. Note that you will have an opportunity to resit before this condition is applied.

2. How do exit awards work if I drop out?

Exit awards are covered in paragraph 2.118 in the same document: "An exit award is an award at a lower level than that for which a student initially registered. An exit award may be recommended where a student meets the requirements for the lower level award and where the student has either withdrawn or been deregistered."

You may, for example, be eligible for a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE), which requires that you "take 240 credits (120 per developmental year), including a minimum 90 credits at each of academic levels 4 and 5" and "pass a minimum 210 credits, including at least 90 at level 5 or higher".

3. How do i contact my personal tutor/advisor?

See this "Advisors" page and this page which provides a list of student support contacts by School or Institute. It contains e-mail addresses and phone numbers and looks to be a good way to make contact with someone who can help.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
OK, you've basically got three questions.

1. What are rules governing progression from one year to the next?
The rules are described in section 4 ("Progression and Award: Undergraduate Programmes") of their Academic Regulations 2022-23, here. Note what they say about the fact that "Certain programmes have special regulations", which I will assume is not the case for your degree.

Are you taking either a BA, BEng, LLB, BSc, BSc (Econ), or BSc (Eng)? If so, then paragraph 4.26 applies, which says,

"To progress from one developmental year to the next ... a student must both:
i take and pass modules as follows: ... Pass a minimum 90 credits in year one. Achieve a minimum weighted average year mark of 40.0 or higher.
ii fail (after resit) no more than 30 credits in any one developmental year."

Your specific question was, "how many can modules can i fail"? That would depend on how many credits each module is worth, but is likely to be one or two. Note that you will have an opportunity to resit before this condition is applied.

2. How do exit awards work if I drop out?

Exit awards are covered in paragraph 2.118 in the same document: "An exit award is an award at a lower level than that for which a student initially registered. An exit award may be recommended where a student meets the requirements for the lower level award and where the student has either withdrawn or been deregistered."

You may, for example, be eligible for a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE), which requires that you "take 240 credits (120 per developmental year), including a minimum 90 credits at each of academic levels 4 and 5" and "pass a minimum 210 credits, including at least 90 at level 5 or higher".

3. How do i contact my personal tutor/advisor?

See this "Advisors" page and this page which provides a list of student support contacts by School or Institute. It contains e-mail addresses and phone numbers and looks to be a good way to make contact with someone who can help

Thank you. i do bsc business with law, am i still permitted to fail 2 modules?

thank you for clearing everything up.
Thank you. i do bsc business with law, am i still permitted to fail 2 modules?

thank you for clearing everything up.

BSc Business with Law is not one of the programmes to which "special regulations" apply. So what I quoted earlier stands.

From what I can see, Year 1 of Business with Law at QMUL is comprised of 8 modules, each worth 15 credits. Is that correct? If so, then yes - according to the regulation I quoted above you would allowed to progress from Year 1 to Year 2, even if you fail (after resit) 2 modules (i.e. 30 credits). However, note that the requirement to "Achieve a minimum weighted average year mark of 40.0 or higher" still applies.

I would suggest that you contact the engagement team within the School of Business and Management ([email protected]) for further assistance. They are the first point of contact for all enquiries related to student support, which is sounds like you would benefit from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending