The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I dont think BT provaide anything, but you can get little box things that attatch to the phone socket that lets you lock the line with a key i dont know if this would be any good.
Reply 2
got such thing? what is it called? roughly how much is it? and most important where can I get it?
Reply 3
you can get a pin code for when dialing out.
Reply 4
lhwjud
got such thing? what is it called? roughly how much is it? and most important where can I get it?

ooohh, thats put me on the spot, I've seen them online before and most shops/ supermarkets have them on phones which are out in the open to stop customers using them, I'll have a look to see if I can find one.
Reply 5
how to set the PIN??? can't figure out and find no info on the BT website. Any help is appreciated!
Reply 6
On some phones there is a built in option generally called 'babysitter mode' where you select one number and once activated ('babysitter mode' is pin protected), that is the only number that will be dialled until you disable it.
Reply 7
Ring up BT and ask them. i dont think they actually do it anymore. You can buy payphones from BT but I don't think that you can set security on regular phones could be wrong though.

WHy aren't your flatmates sharing the phone?
Reply 8
I guess I wish to password protect the line itself instead of the phone.

I'm just afraid that people will unplug the phone and connect another phone to make calls (international call in particular).

If there is a PIN to protect the line then it would be ideal.
Reply 9
After a quick look I can only find american ones but I'm sure there are brittish ones as I was considering one for myself a while ago (when I has dial up internet and had to pay for it, but people kept using it while I wasnt in so I had to pay) they were called phone jack locks or phone line locks or something, I'm cirtain there out there I just cant think where, meby try a DIY store they might have one.
Reply 10
Not sure about PIN numbers but you can stop people making premium and international calls

https://www.bt.com/premiumrates/
Reply 11
Steeeeevo
After a quick look I can only find american ones but I'm sure there are brittish ones as I was considering one for myself a while ago (when I has dial up internet and had to pay for it, but people kept using it while I wasnt in so I had to pay) they were called phone jack locks or phone line locks or something, I'm cirtain there out there I just cant think where, meby try a DIY store they might have one.

actually I'm not sure if getting a physical phone lock will work since the line is going to be shared with a ADSL connection.

any more idea? BT got PIN protect service?
lhwjud
actually I'm not sure if getting a physical phone lock will work since the line is going to be shared with a ADSL connection.

As long as they dont touch the pins on an unfiltered side of the connection, you'll be fine using one.

Latest

Trending

Trending