The Student Room Group

Is it worth remarking for Core Maths?

Hi. I'm a Y13 student new to TSR, seeking advice on whether it is worth having my Core Maths exam remarked.
I didn't realise how low the points were, since it was equivalent to an AS qualification, and I was only 2 marks away from getting the grade above, so I feel like the worst case is that I pay and my grade doesn't change, even though I am aware of the risk it could go down.
Plus, I scored the same in both papers, so I don't even know which marking to dispute - and I only have until tomorrow to decide!
Someone help!
Reply 1
Original post by lanois
Hi. I'm a Y13 student new to TSR, seeking advice on whether it is worth having my Core Maths exam remarked.
I didn't realise how low the points were, since it was equivalent to an AS qualification, and I was only 2 marks away from getting the grade above, so I feel like the worst case is that I pay and my grade doesn't change, even though I am aware of the risk it could go down.
Plus, I scored the same in both papers, so I don't even know which marking to dispute - and I only have until tomorrow to decide!
Someone help!

Has a teacher looked at a copy of your papers?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Has a teacher looked at a copy of your papers?

Good question. Sadly, the teacher isn't available to review it, and the head of faculty isn't willing to review it because they don't want to get the school in a dispute with an exam board. So I can't truly know beforehand whether there was marks missed or not.

The only detail spurring me on was that my teacher continuously said last year about how in previous seasons remarks occurred and people jumped up by several grades entirely, since examiners for this qualification specifically are largely non-maths teachers, so they are less experienced.
Reply 3
Original post by lanois
Good question. Sadly, the teacher isn't available to review it, and the head of faculty isn't willing to review it because they don't want to get the school in a dispute with an exam board. So I can't truly know beforehand whether there was marks missed or not.

The only detail spurring me on was that my teacher continuously said last year about how in previous seasons remarks occurred and people jumped up by several grades entirely, since examiners for this qualification specifically are largely non-maths teachers, so they are less experienced.

I don't believe that markers aren't maths teachers -
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
I don't believe that markers aren't maths teachers -

Yup. Perfectly hard to believe, and I don't know who else can verify that statement.
If I ask anyone else, like my head of year or head of sixth I'd just get an answer warning me about the dangers of remarking, but no one can give a firm yes or no answer. I think I'm going to have to lean on the side of 'no' this time...
Reply 5
Original post by lanois
Yup. Perfectly hard to believe, and I don't know who else can verify that statement.
If I ask anyone else, like my head of year or head of sixth I'd just get an answer warning me about the dangers of remarking, but no one can give a firm yes or no answer. I think I'm going to have to lean on the side of 'no' this time...

This is what it says on applying to mark

"Apply now to secure your place on our list of approved applicants.
To do so, you’ll need:
to have three full terms of teaching experience gained in the last five years
a senior professional referee able to verify your relevant experience
Windows PC (version 8 or above), we're not able to support Apple Mac
a private mobile phone or landline (to gain access to the Associate Extranet)
preferably a degree, teaching qualification, or equivalent in your chosen subject"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending