The Student Room Group

Dauphine-PSL or McGill ?

Hi everyone,
I am French and did the IB in the UK and got into both Dauphine-PSL in France (for Licence Sciences des Organisations) and McGill in Canada for a Bachelor of Arts. I want to study Political Science / Econ / Law and both unis seem to be ranked similar on international rankings, and I really don't know where to go so I was hoping for some advice / personal experience / opinions on anything (studies but also student life etc)... What would you do if you were me pls ?
Also, French, but will answer in English.

On a first note : International rankings reflect the research output of each university rather than its reputation among employers, so it is misleading to compare universities solely based on ranking.

Studied at both unis (Mcgill as undergrad and Dauphine as a grad). Here is my suggestion :

Pick McGill for undergraduate studies. Why ?

1. It is a world class institution, and will give you access to some of the best graduate programs (you can easily go to LSE / ESCP / New York University or even Ivys after graduation).

2. You will become perfectly fluent in English. Trust me, it is a huge asset.

3. The campus life is very pleasant and nurturing at McGill. Definitely can't say the same about Dauphine.

4. The workload is less heavy than at Dauphine (though it remains substantial) so you'll be able to actually enjoy what you learn.

5. McGill is truly a multicultural institution, while Dauphine is very francophone.

For your Master's studies, Dauphine is a maybe a better choice if you want to find a job / internship easily right after graduation (chose Dauphine because they had a Master's I really wanted to enrol into
(edited 10 months ago)
Hello,
I’m also in the same situation regarding what university to choose and I need your help.
I got admitted to McGill Bachelor of Arts major economics and minor political science and finance as well as Edhec business school global bba track with two certifications from ucla extension and nanyang technological university.
I really don’t know which one to choose- which school would give me the best career opportunities in the future in business or finance?
I’m just scared with Edhec as it is the bachelor and not the programme grande école, if the bachelor was this good, people wouldn’t do 2 years of hard preparation for the exams
Could I easily come back to Europe after my mcgill bachelor and do a master at sciences po or the master « grandes écoles » at Hec or any top universities in Europe ?
(Original post by Hhhhytt de xvb)
Hello,
I’m also in the same situation regarding what university to choose and I need your help.
I got admitted to McGill Bachelor of Arts major economics and minor political science and finance as well as Edhec business school global bba track with two certifications from ucla extension and nanyang technological university.
I really don’t know which one to choose- which school would give me the best career opportunities in the future in business or finance?
I’m just scared with Edhec as it is the bachelor and not the programme grande école, if the bachelor was this good, people wouldn’t do 2 years of hard preparation for the exams
Could I easily come back to Europe after my mcgill bachelor and do a master at sciences po or the master « grandes écoles » at Hec or any top universities in Europe ?

Hi there. So here would be my response

Reputation: EDHEC is well known in France, but when it comes to international recognition, McGill University has the upper hand, even in Europe outside of France.

Program: Unfortunately in France, bachelor programs are viewed as substandard in France, so if I were you, I would probably stick to a University degree. It's just that French education is still based on a divide between University path and Grande école path, and anything in-between will probably be looked down upon, a BBA falls into this category.

Education style = EDHEC will probably have small sized classrooms with reinforced tutoring sessions and an accessible teaching staff, so it's a good option if I want to have some guidance. McGill on the other hand, requires a lot of autonomy as a student. You are the one responsible for deciding which classes you have to take, and most of your study time will be done at home, not in class.

Graduate insights = I don't know about EDHEC BA but I guess that its a gateway to their programme grande école. On the other hand, it's fairly easy to come back to France after your studies at McGill.
People with fairly decent GPAs got admitted into EMlyon. Those with good GPAs got admitted into ESCP. and those with very good GPAs got admitted into HEC. So I would not worry about that. For instance I got an offer at LSE
Original post by Conspicuoussy
(Original post by Hhhhytt de xvb)
Hello,

Hi there. So here would be my response

Reputation: EDHEC is well known in France, but when it comes to international recognition, McGill University has the upper hand, even in Europe outside of France.

Program: Unfortunately in France, bachelor programs are viewed as substandard in France, so if I were you, I would probably stick to a University degree. It's just that French education is still based on a divide between University path and Grande école path, and anything in-between will probably be looked down upon, a BBA falls into this category.

Education style = EDHEC will probably have small sized classrooms with reinforced tutoring sessions and an accessible teaching staff, so it's a good option if I want to have some guidance. McGill on the other hand, requires a lot of autonomy as a student. You are the one responsible for deciding which classes you have to take, and most of your study time will be done at home, not in class.

Graduate insights = I don't know about EDHEC BA but I guess that its a gateway to their programme grande école. On the other hand, it's fairly easy to come back to France after your studies at McGill.
People with fairly decent GPAs got admitted into EMlyon. Those with good GPAs got admitted into ESCP. and those with very good GPAs got admitted into HEC. So I would not worry about that. For instance I got an offer at LSE

Thank you very much for your answer!
I think I am going to go with McGill are the Edhec program is only the bachelor- my main goal is to do a masters degree at a well-rewown school so McGill woul be better
Reply 5
Original post by Hhhhytt de xvb
Thank you very much for your answer!
I think I am going to go with McGill are the Edhec program is only the bachelor- my main goal is to do a masters degree at a well-rewown school so McGill woul be better

I am à McGill & Sciences Po/Strasbourg grad. I am so glad you chose the path you did. You will have Such an Incredible & SMART group of classmates at McGill. And since they’re Canadian, no obsessive competitiveness. So refreshing! You’ll discover & hone your self-discipline, diplomacy & global outlook. Then you’ll be ready for Any Uni in France. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending