The Student Room Group

sleeveless vests (on guys)

Over this summer I've got into the habit of wearing sleeveless vests, not basketball style baggy ones but reasonably tightish. I'm not a body builder, I'm slim but not skinny so I'm not shy about showing my arms.

I enjoy the freedom of having my arms free and think they kind of feel cool and relaxed, but I tend to get a fair bit of stick for wearing them from some males, when I went into work in them the blokes would say I looked like I was in Wham and had to do all the making cups of tea for everyone as a punishment for wearing a vest....my housemates keep making nudge-nudge homosexual jokes as though I'm wearing them round the house to impress them, and then the other day I was walking back home after a night out and 2 blokes asked me for a light, when I didn't have one they started shouting "loving the tank top gay boy" etc after me

Now this stuff doesn't bother me, if I want to wear something I will wear it and if someone thinks I'm gay again I'm cool with that because I'm not homophobic

just thought it would be interesting to get some opinions...are these seen as not very "macho" and is the fact that other men give me stick about it more showing that they don't want to be thought of as gay and so want to show their "disapproval" of something a bit camp
also girls, what do you think of sleeveless vests on guys...?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it looks gay face it
Reply 2
I bought one for a fiver. I look like a gimp wearing it, I only wear it when I want to upset the people I share a building with.
Reply 3
I don't have anything against them.
Reply 5
Personally I think they look pretty good on guys if they have the physique for it. Never thought of them as a camp thing, especially since some of my straight male friends wear them and none of the gay ones do that I have seen. I would actually say they are pretty macho :biggrin:
Reply 6
i think they are regarded as a bit of a gay indicator, but depends alot on the style of the vest and the person wearing them.

For example i'm thinking of a plain white sleveless vest and i know its a sterotype but it is regarded as camp clothing.

But if someone had the physique of a bodybuilder it somehow changes the image of it, and its not "gay" anymore, but macho.

Sorry if this causes offence!, as i say its a stereotype/
Reply 7
it justs depends on the type of guy-some ppl look awful in them but others can really pull the look off!!
you have to be built to wear it...
well i have mixed opinions on them, they can either make you look like on of the viliage people or if you wear it with a t-shirt underneath it looks quite kl, but then agin it also depends on how well it suits you. if you feel comeofrtable wearing it then wear it, i know i look stupid wearing one as i have tried one on... and i won't be doing that again any time soon. but its up to you and how you feel about how you look with it on.
Reply 10
It makes you look like a right funboy. Don't do it, and vest over long sleeved tees look even worse if that is at all possible
Reply 11
Racer-back vest tops aren't the manliest clothing around but the normal ones are fine... I've seen guys wearing them and I didn't think they looked gay at all!
seems theres a difference between the male and female viewpoints on it!
that corroborates with the same views I get when chatting to people at uni, most girls don't think there's a big issue but the blokes are all hung up on it looking gay
Reply 13
MagicNMedicine
that corroborates with the same views I get when chatting to people at uni, most girls don't think there's a big issue but the blokes are all hung up on it looking gay

thats true!!!
Reply 14
Only if you have nice arms.
Reply 15
next you'll be asking if g-strings on guys are ok :rolleyes:
MagicNMedicine

if the girls dont mind it you then surely its ok, who cares what blokes think if your straight anyway? well you might lose a couple of mates but still..
looks really...well...gay on men
If it's tight then, i pity you sir. :frown:
you sure you're still talking about my vest there big boy...?

Latest