The Student Room Group

Received a low mark in my Geography NEA coursework

I am very disheartened having received 20/70 in my coursework, I understand it was not deserving of a top mark having scrutinised my work against the mark scheme, but I believe it justifies a slightly higher mark. Potentially around 30/70. My teacher is defo prejudicial for a multitude of reasons that I shall not go into unless it’s in the DM’s. Therefore should I appeal? But I don’t really expect that much will change as whoever marks it will just look at the mark it’s already given and pass it off as okay because they don’t have a vested interest in me doing well…
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
sorry to that that bro
what grade do you need?
Oh no, was the mark scheme not made clear to you before you submitted it? Did your teacher not check it through at any point to make sure you were on the right track? Would it be worth speaking to your teacher and saying you feel it is worth more than they've given you? Or ask the Head of Department to take a look maybe?Then if you still feel the mark isn't right you could appeal.
Original post by JTengz
I am very disheartened having received 20/70 in my coursework, I understand it was not deserving of a top mark having scrutinised my work against the mark scheme, but I believe it justifies a slightly higher mark. Potentially around 30/70. My teacher is defo prejudicial for a multitude of reasons that I shall not go into unless it’s in the DM’s. Therefore should I appeal? But I don’t really expect that much will change as whoever marks it will just look at the mark it’s already given and pass it off as okay because they don’t have a vested interest in me doing well…

i just got mine back and got 32/70 i’m literally so mad im 3 marks off a B and someone i know did their whole thing two days before AND handed it in late and they got a B? im not even finding out who marked mine until monday
Original post by jad3msryann
i just got mine back and got 32/70 i’m literally so mad im 3 marks off a B and someone i know did their whole thing two days before AND handed it in late and they got a B? im not even finding out who marked mine until monday

I appeal so I got my marked version from my teacher reviewed by an external teacher and they bumped it from 20/70 to 27/70 which is still nowhere near enough for a B and I’ll have to compensate elsewhere in the other 3 papers but it’s better than nothing, just make sure you appeal with solid grounds…! They say people’s work gets moderated anyway but that’s just superficial I highly doubt marks get changed unless you flag work was marked with no objectivity and clearly outline where you should have picked certain marks with cross reference to the mark scheme.
Original post by jad3msryann

Update: It was reviewed and altered from 20/70 to 27/70, it’s still nowhere near a B while keeping the previous years of grade boundaries in mind, but it’s better than nothing. Advice I’d give to you would be to appeal it straight away and use objective language whereby you cross reference your work against the mark scheme and annotations they’ve marked onto your work and basically criticise how it doesn’t align and have good grounds i.e why you should be placed in a L3 band or get slightly higher within a band because marking at the end of the day is subjective but if you’re coherent with your appeal it should be changed to a slightly higher grade and you could get those 3 marks which you’re looking for…!

Quick Reply

Latest