The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

There have been quite a few threads with titles along the lines of:

"Am I good enough for Oxford"
"Are my GCSEs good enough for maths"

Here is the place to ask those questions to stop the forum getting clogged up with the same questions

Scroll to see replies

Ahh, very good idea!!!
Reply 2
Well, it will only work if the mods get behind it, I've made a thread in AAM, and hopefully they will.
I don't see why they won't lol.....
Reply 4
GCSEs: AABBBBBCCCCCD

A-Levels (already got): A*A*E (Maths, Further Maths, Physics)

Universities applied to: Oxford, Warwick, Manchester, Leeds and Bath

What d'you think, guys?
Reply 5
Those GSCEs aren't great for places like Oxford, Manchester and Bath, but the thing which will really hold you back is the E in physics. I'm not sure many of those universities will overlook it.

I'd be surprised if Warwick didn't give you an offer, and if you can perform well in the admissions test, and interview, Oxford isn't entirely out of reach (although your chances aren't great).
Reply 6
Got 6A* 6A 1 B

Got ABBCC at AS (partly caused by school messing up coursework)

Got predicted A*AA for A Level and preparing for STEP already :yep:

Applying to: Cambridge, Nottingham, Manchester, Warwick and King's College London

What are my chances (not too bothered about Cambridge, although it would be nice to get in :p: :rolleyes: )

Note: I'm still getting neg rep for this post I made over 2 years ago! If you are interested, I did get into Cambridge, King's, Nottingham and York. I am now at King's.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Yeah I'm planning to resit Physics or take up Additional Further Maths - speaking of which, do you know which of those (if any) require the three A-Levels to be done within two years?
Reply 8
Which subjects are those ASes in? Are you retaking anything?

For Cambridge it would be useful to post module marks too.
Reply 9
Crushed Bug
Yeah I'm planning to resit Physics or take up Additional Further Maths - speaking of which, do you know which of those (if any) require the three A-Levels to be done within two years?

AFM is an interesting choice. I did it, but I can think of much more worthwhile things you could be doing with your time. (A different A-level perhaps)

I don't know if any of them do, but its something which is definitely worth checking out before you send off UCAS.
SimonM
Which subjects are those ASes in? Are you retaking anything?

For Cambridge it would be useful to post module marks too.

The ASes were in:

Maths - 283/300
Further Maths (Self taught in 4 months) - 225/300
Chemistry - 223/300
Physics - 183/300
Biology - 187/300

I would be doing 3 retakes. I am not happy with these grades, and my school admitted that they messed everyones science coursework. But will have a shot at it and see what happens. So far, my two favourites in unis are cambridge and nottingham (although I would be so shocked if I got into cambridge :eek: :eek: :eek: )
Nah it's too late, I applied a few days ago

Also, I got 90%+ in every C/FP module (which I mentioned in my personal statement). Think that'll help at all?
Reply 12
Crushed Bug
Also, I got 90%+ in every C/FP module (which I mentioned in my personal statement). Think that'll help at all?

It will help, but that sort of stuff is often better left to the school reference.
Crushed Bug
Nah it's too late, I applied a few days ago

Why did you apply so early? :confused:

Congrats on 90+ on all modules
Reply 14
cpdavis
The ASes were in:

Maths - 283/300
Further Maths (Self taught in 4 months) - 225/300
Chemistry - 223/300
Physics - 183/300
Biology - 187/300

I would be doing 3 retakes. I am not happy with these grades, and my school admitted that they messed everyones science coursework. But will have a shot at it and see what happens. So far, my two favourites in unis are cambridge and nottingham (although I would be so shocked if I got into cambridge :eek: :eek: :eek: )

As you say, Cambridge is a bit ambitious, but I think you'll still get an interview so long as your PS and reference aren't absimal. You will really need to shine at interview to get in though.

Warwick and KCL should both be fine and I'd be reasonably confident about Nottingham and Manchester.
My school just emailed me the reference that they used the first time around, and back then I was a lot worse at maths than I am now. I explained in my PS that I turned it all around in Year 13 so hopefully they'll give me a chance
cpdavis
Why did you apply so early?

Well it was exciting obsessing over Track last year, I was eager to do it again
Reply 16
Crushed Bug
My school just emailed me the reference that they used the first time around, and back then I was a lot worse at maths than I am now.

I hope that they updated it for this year's application.
SimonM
I hope that they updated it for this year's application.

Judging by some of the phrasing, it was the same one. Big mistake?
Reply 18
Crushed Bug
Judging by some of the phrasing, it was the same one. Big mistake?

Depends on what they said in the previous one. But if you're a better candidate now, I'd expect your school reference to reflect that.
Reading through it now. It's all positive stuff, I think it should be all right. I'd've thought reapplicants using the same reference would be common, is that not the case?

Quick Reply

Latest