The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Thanks guys. Also, will the fact that my school is in the bottom 40% in the UK give me any kind of advantage? I know Bristol and Oxford look at this but do the other universities mentioned also take this into consideration?
Original post by GingerGnu
Thanks guys. Also, will the fact that my school is in the bottom 40% in the UK give me any kind of advantage? I know Bristol and Oxford look at this but do the other universities mentioned also take this into consideration?

My school had 27% 5A*-C GCSE pass rate and only Bristol seemed to take it into consideration..
Original post by TheIrrational
My school had 27% 5A*-C GCSE pass rate and only Bristol seemed to take it into consideration..

Thank you :smile: I was only wondering because I saw that Bristol have a contextual offer that they will use for applicants from certain schools. I was just hoping that other universities would take it into consideration in the admissions process!
Thank you :smile: I was only wondering because I saw that Bristol have a contextual offer that they will use for applicants from certain schools. I was just hoping that other universities would take it into consideration in the admissions process!

Bristol gave me an AAB offer 3 years ago, but I got the standard offer from everywhere else.
Original post by -Gifted-
I will be applying to mathematics and computer science at imperial, if I have an A in computing gcse instead of an A* and don't do computing A level will i be at a disadvantage?

No.
Original post by Joshthemathmo
Hey guys! I'm thinking of applying for maths this cycle for 2016 entry and was wondering if i was being 'realistic' with my choices please be critical;
GCSEs: 8A's, 4B's
AS: Predicting 5A's ~ 93% ums average across all 5, and 98% in maths, phys and chemistry. (i'll update on results day)
A2: predictions of A*A*A*A*A/A* (what my teachers did before we summer)
some extra extra curricular stuff, thinking of applying to Bath, Cambridge, Nottingham (or UCL), Wawrick and Imperial.

You're doing 5 A2s? Wow!!
If I were you I'd apply to Cambridge/Oxford, imperial, Warwick, bath, Bristol.
But really you could apply to anywhere and probably only struggle with an Oxbridge offer.

GCSES: 12A*2A
AS: AAAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chem, Econ
Predicted A2 grades will most likely be A*A*A*A in Maths, FM, Econ and Chem respectively.

Provided I do well in the MAT, would an offer from Imperial be likely? I'm planning to apply to Oxford, Imperial, Bath, Warwick and Bristol but I don't know how safe my choices are and whether AAA from Bristol (or maybe A*AA from Bath) would be a good insurance choice. I was thinking maybe taking out either Bath/Warwick for a more safer choice like Kings/Surrey? I don't want to be overly optimistic and end up with no offers lol.
Original post by Magnesium
GCSES: 12A*2A
AS: AAAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chem, Econ
Predicted A2 grades will most likely be A*A*A*A in Maths, FM, Econ and Chem respectively.

Provided I do well in the MAT, would an offer from Imperial be likely? I'm planning to apply to Oxford, Imperial, Bath, Warwick and Bristol but I don't know how safe my choices are and whether AAA from Bristol (or maybe A*AA from Bath) would be a good insurance choice. I was thinking maybe taking out either Bath/Warwick for a more safer choice like Kings/Surrey? I don't want to be overly optimistic and end up with no offers lol.

What are your maths and further maths UMS like?

I would bet my life savings you would get Warwick, Bath and Bristol offers. Depending on MAT/UMS (you would need to do well) you would probably get an Imperial offer. Oxford and Cambridge are always harder to guess, Oxford mostly look at the MAT, so it's impossible to say before you sit that really..
What are your maths and further maths UMS like?

I would bet my life savings you would get Warwick, Bath and Bristol offers. Depending on MAT/UMS (you would need to do well) you would probably get an Imperial offer. Oxford and Cambridge are always harder to guess, Oxford mostly look at the MAT, so it's impossible to say before you sit that really..

My UMS wasn't that high, 92 in maths and 83 in FM (The only one that really brought me down in FM was an 80 in D1).

I wasn't too worried about UMS, as I don't think I'll be listing them anywhere and Imperial/Oxford don't seem to ask for them (unless they do, and I'm completely wrong here). I've done a few MAT papers, and from the ones I've done, it seems good, just need more prep hopefully.
Imperial's website say a borderline MAT score could still be considered if you're taking STEP ll/lll, which I am, but I don't know how often this happens?
Original post by Magnesium
My UMS wasn't that high, 92 in maths and 83 in FM (The only one that really brought me down in FM was an 80 in D1).

I wasn't too worried about UMS, as I don't think I'll be listing them anywhere and Imperial/Oxford don't seem to ask for them (unless they do, and I'm completely wrong here). I've done a few MAT papers, and from the ones I've done, it seems good, just need more prep hopefully.
Imperial's website say a borderline MAT score could still be considered if you're taking STEP ll/lll, which I am, but I don't know how often this happens?

The main reason I was asking about UMS was to see how close you are, or how comfortably you should get the A*A* maths and further maths - as they're often the deciding factors for the top universities. I would think you'd definitely get A* normal maths.

You are right that no where will ask for UMS so you'll be pretty safe there. I would definitely think you'd get Warwick and Bath offers and if you don't get oxford or imperial you can always firm and insure those two. I'm afraid I personally didn't apply to either Imperial or Oxford, so I'm not 100% sure about Imperials MAT/STEP rules, sorry. Hopefully someone else on here can answer about how often Imperial give STEP offers if you've sat MAT already..
The main reason I was asking about UMS was to see how close you are, or how comfortably you should get the A*A* maths and further maths - as they're often the deciding factors for the top universities. I would think you'd definitely get A* normal maths.

You are right that no where will ask for UMS so you'll be pretty safe there. I would definitely think you'd get Warwick and Bath offers and if you don't get oxford or imperial you can always firm and insure those two. I'm afraid I personally didn't apply to either Imperial or Oxford, so I'm not 100% sure about Imperials MAT/STEP rules, sorry. Hopefully someone else on here can answer about how often Imperial give STEP offers if you've sat MAT already..

Thanks for your help! :smile: I'll have to see how it goes and perhaps speak to my teachers - as they're not cashed in yet, and I prefer the module content next year, I will hopefully be able to get A*A* (fingers crossed)

Would it therefore not really be necessary to switch out Bath for another uni that has lower requirements (AAA-AAB) for extra insurance?
Hi.

I'm currently on my gap year and will apply for 2016 entry.

I have A* in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and A in AS Further maths.

my ums in my further maths modules are

FP1: 100
S2: 90
M2: 74

I was looking at universities for maths, looking at warwick, lse, ucl, birmingham and nottingham.what are my chances for the first 3?
Original post by Sycopation
Hi.

I'm currently on my gap year and will apply for 2016 entry.

I have A* in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and A in AS Further maths.

my ums in my further maths modules are

FP1: 100
S2: 90
M2: 74

I was looking at universities for maths, looking at warwick, lse, ucl, birmingham and nottingham.what are my chances for the first 3?

Are you planning on sitting the full A level in further maths or STEP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you planning on sitting the full A level in further maths or STEP?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both
Original post by Sycopation
Both

Then I'll say your chances for a Warwick offer are fairly high, I'm afraid I can't say much about the rest.
I want to do maths a cambridge.
6a*s 3a's 2b's at gcse
i only got an A in gcse fm, and i was 1 mark from an A in English language.

Are these gcses okay?

Do i still have a good chance if I don't take physics for AS or A2?

I'm taking biology, chemistry, fm and maths.

Should I do all 6 maths modules in yesr 12, or 3 for fm and 3 for maths?

Would i have a good shot at other maths unis?
(Imperial, lse, warrick, duhram, etc)
Original post by vd12345
I want to do maths a cambridge.
6a*s 3a's 2b's at gcse
i only got an A in gcse fm, and i was 1 mark from an A in English language.

Are these gcses okay?

Do i still have a good chance if I don't take physics for AS or A2?

I'm taking biology, chemistry, fm and maths.

Should I do all 6 maths modules in yesr 12, or 3 for fm and 3 for maths?

Would i have a good shot at other maths unis?
(Imperial, lse, warrick, duhram, etc)

If you can only get an A at GCSE FM, I doubt you're good enough to go to Cambridge. Only a small percentage of those who got A^s can get in. Also, most candidates will have 9/10/11 A*s or more, so I'm not too sure. If you can do well in A level maths you should be ok but it doesn't look likely I'm afraid :frown:
Most unis prefer you to do 3 modules from each
For the other unis, I'd say Imperial is just as difficult to get into as Cambridge, Warwick similarly but less so. The others you should get into easily.
Sorry for the honesty, but I wish you the best of luck and hope you prove me wrong!
Original post by a96clark
If you can only get an A at GCSE FM, I doubt you're good enough to go to Cambridge. Only a small percentage of those who got A^s can get in. Also, most candidates will have 9/10/11 A*s or more, so I'm not too sure. If you can do well in A level maths you should be ok but it doesn't look likely I'm afraid :frown:
Most unis prefer you to do 3 modules from each
For the other unis, I'd say Imperial is just as difficult to get into as Cambridge, Warwick similarly but less so. The others you should get into easily.
Sorry for the honesty, but I wish you the best of luck and hope you prove me wrong!

I appreciate the honesty, but I feel like I should have gotten a better grade for Fm. Mainly because I had a bad headache and could only answer 5 questions fully for the first paper (I got A* in mocks and A^ in all the paper 2 past papers and most paper 1 past papers). Also, I missed an A* in lit by 2 mark and an A* in history by 1 mark, which is really sad imo, as I felt I should have gotten more A*s but I'm getting remarks. Considering my gcses, is Cambridge a long shot, or would high Ums at AS make it realistic?

Also, do you think extra curriculars matter for Cambridge Maths?
Original post by vd12345
I appreciate the honesty, but I feel like I should have gotten a better grade for Fm. Mainly because I had a bad headache and could only answer 5 questions fully for the first paper (I got A* in mocks and A^ in all the paper 2 past papers and most paper 1 past papers). Also, I missed an A* in lit by 2 mark and an A* in history by 1 mark, which is really sad imo, as I felt I should have gotten more A*s but I'm getting remarks. Considering my gcses, is Cambridge a long shot, or would high Ums at AS make it realistic?

Also, do you think extra curriculars matter for Cambridge Maths?

If you got high UMS in all subjects at AS, not just maths, you would stand an alright chance I think. Extra curricular barely matters. I think they want people who are good at maths, however if it's down to you versus someone else and they do more than you, they'll probably pick the other guy
Hi,
Im just wondering what my best possible options are with these grades...

GCSEs: 8A* 3A
AS Levels: Maths - A - 99%, Further Maths - A - 91%, Chemistry - A - 86%, Biology - B - 79% (one mark off of an A so getting a remark)
Predicted A2 grades: Most likely A*AA or A*A*A

Me again! I really appreciated the advice you all gave me but I have one more question!

For Bristol I qualify for the contextual offer, which is listed as AAB. Do you guys think that would be okay as a back up or do you think I should also apply for another 'less competitive' university with slightly lower entry requirements?

Quick Reply

Latest