The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hallo.C
I have sent off my UCAS today applying to Warwick, Bath, Bristol, Manchester and Leeds. When do people usually hear back for Maths at these universities?

I heard back from Warwick within like a few days to a week, Bristol certainly within a month, Bath within at most a couple of weeks I think
Reply 1161
Original post by Maxp103
Hi, it's approaching h date for me sending of my UCAS application and I'm still unsure where to apply. At GCSE I did little work and got 1 A*(maths) 3 A's 4 B's and a C. At AS level I started the year doing little work as and ABBB in maths, physical computing and Art&Design, I realised I shouldn't have done art and have dropped both Art and Physics and am doing A2 maths and the the full further maths A-level in one year as I thoroughly enjoy the further maths. In AS-level maths I got C1:85 C2:87 M1:73, I mainly self taught myself D1 and got 97 in that for my further maths. My teachers have predicted me A*AB in maths computing and further maths respectfully and said they will write me a very strong recommendation as I have self taught S1 S2 and half of FP1 along side D1 so am ambitious.

I originally wanted to apply to Durham as my top uni and St. Andrews, but now realising that I don't think I could live out of a city having been near Manchester all my life I'm rethinking my choices.
Do you think I should go for Durham?
Which of these do you think I should go for, I want a city lifestyle but a good maths and computer science institute too!!!)
(I'm applying for Maths and computer science joint)
Durham A*AA
Bristol AAA
Birmingham AAA
Leeds AAA
Manchester AAA
Southampton AAB
Sheffield AAB
Liverpool ABB

I'm sorry this is long I'm just so stuck in my head now!!

Personally I loved bristol and the fact that the uni was in the centre of the city. Both the mathematics and computer science departments have a great reputation at bristol. Bristol is a great city aswell so its perfect for what your looking for so i reckon you should apply but beware i do think its competitive but you should get an offer.
I can't speak for the other universities as i don't know a lot about them sorry.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello everyone! I have no idea if i should apply to where i want to with my grades. My IGCSE's were not great to say the least but my AS results have bumped up my expectations from myself.
IGCSE's: 2 A* 3 A 3 B 1C
AS: A (Pure maths 95 UMS) A (Further Maths 85 UMS [I BLAME D1]) A (Literature 85 UMS) A (Critical Thinking 85 UMS) and A (French 92% UMS) and have an A in the full A level for French.
I will take Maths, Further Maths and Literature to A2 level and plan on sitting at least STEP I along with FP3 and S4 as extra modules (14 total maths modules)
Unis i want to apply to: UCL (top choice), Warwick (the other top choice), Bristol, St Andrews (as security) and either Durham or Edinburgh (help decide which one or perhaps recommend another in this league)

I am just not sure if it is worth applying to UCL seeing how it is very competitive and just dropping it to ensure that i have more chances of getting offers from all the unis i apply to.
Reply 1163
Original post by 130398
Hello everyone! I have no idea if i should apply to where i want to with my grades. My IGCSE's were not great to say the least but my AS results have bumped up my expectations from myself.
IGCSE's: 2 A* 3 A 3 B 1C
AS: A (Pure maths 95 UMS) A (Further Maths 85 UMS [I BLAME D1]) A (Literature 85 UMS) A (Critical Thinking 85 UMS) and A (French 92% UMS) and have an A in the full A level for French.
I will take Maths, Further Maths and Literature to A2 level and plan on sitting at least STEP I along with FP3 and S4 as extra modules (14 total maths modules)
Unis i want to apply to: UCL (top choice), Warwick (the other top choice), Bristol, St Andrews (as security) and either Durham or Edinburgh (help decide which one or perhaps recommend another in this league)

I am just not sure if it is worth applying to UCL seeing how it is very competitive and just dropping it to ensure that i have more chances of getting offers from all the unis i apply to.

UCL still send out a lot of offers and with those AS grades i reckon you will get an offer assuming you have the required predicted grades(At least equivalent to A*AA) I think its less likely for the offer from st andrews from what ive heard its very competitive because of the small amount of space. Warwick have said anyone with AAA or above predicted grades usually gets an offer so i think having both warwick and ucl isnt a risk. The most risky uni is probably st andrews. Im not sure about durham or edinburgh.
Overall you shouldn't be hesistant to apply because unis send out a lot of offers for mathematics because achieving the offer is usually difficult...e.g warwick and ucl having quite high entry requirements.
Hi there got a B in maths at As level this year with 91 Ums c1, 80 Ums d1 and 65 Ums c2. Also taking further maths as level in year 13. Will universities still give me an offer if they require A* in maths, I am resitting c2 this year also. My other as results were AAB
177/200 economics
177/200 business
146/200 Modern History
Original post by Crozzer24
Hi there got a B in maths at As level this year with 91 Ums c1, 80 Ums d1 and 65 Ums c2. Also taking further maths as level in year 13. Will universities still give me an offer if they require A* in maths, I am resitting c2 this year also. My other as results were AAB
177/200 economics
177/200 business
146/200 Modern History

I doubt it to be honest. Would have an okay chance at some places that require an A in Maths I imagine.
Hey there. I'm from Singapore, and I've gotten my results for the GCE A Levels. I have an A for H2 Mathematics, H2 Chemistry, and H1 Economics and an A for H2 Physics and H2 Knowledge and Inquiry. From what I've gleamed from the various websites, I need to get three As for three H2 subjects including Mathematics for the universities I'm looking at - Warwick, Durham, St. Andrews, and ICL. Should I give up on applying to them, or do I have a chance of getting in? Do note that I'm taking the STEP test next year.
Hi i want to study maths at uni but not really too show where, any help would be appreciated, thanks :smile:
C1-94
C2-96
M1-95
S1-99
D1-98
FP1-87 ( possible retake)
GCSE grades - 1A*, 2As 7Bs 1C
Predicted a level grades - A*AA (probably get A*A*B) in maths, Further maths and business
As grades- AABB in maths, further maths, Business and physics.
would these grades be good enough for a Cambridge, Oxford or Warwick offer and which would be most likely to offer me a place? or should I stick to Lancaster/Leeds/Manchester, for a Maths degree.
I only got 1 A*(maths), 2B's and some C's, but in A level I really love maths and got 71/72 in my mocks for c1 and c2. Do I have enough GCSE's to go to good universities for maths like Warwick ,Cambridge, etc?
Original post by dididid
Hi i want to study maths at uni but not really too show where, any help would be appreciated, thanks :smile:
C1-94
C2-96
M1-95
S1-99
D1-98
FP1-87 ( possible retake)
GCSE grades - 1A*, 2As 7Bs 1C
Predicted a level grades - A*AA (probably get A*A*B) in maths, Further maths and business
As grades- AABB in maths, further maths, Business and physics.
would these grades be good enough for a Cambridge, Oxford or Warwick offer and which would be most likely to offer me a place? or should I stick to Lancaster/Leeds/Manchester, for a Maths degree.

It's possible you may struggle a little with Cambridge and oxford but besides that I don't see why you'd not get an offer from anyone else. I'd apply to Cambridge or oxford anyway as your reach choice and then you can pick out a couple you feel are more realistic like Warwick, Bristol and them maybe 1 or 2 slightly lower. Maybe Nottingham. Someone may have better suggestions but from what I remember these should be good for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexs2602
It's possible you may struggle a little with Cambridge and oxford but besides that I don't see why you'd not get an offer from anyone else. I'd apply to Cambridge or oxford anyway as your reach choice and then you can pick out a couple you feel are more realistic like Warwick, Bristol and them maybe 1 or 2 slightly lower. Maybe Nottingham. Someone may have better suggestions but from what I remember these should be good for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ill probably go for Warwick as my first choice. thanks:smile:
Just out of interest, if you receive an interview from cambridge, does your performance at interview determine whether you get an offer? Or do they take into account ums as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebeisgreat
Just out of interest, if you receive an interview from cambridge, does your performance at interview determine whether you get an offer? Or do they take into account ums as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both count
I think interview counts for more
Original post by dididid
ill probably go for Warwick as my first choice. thanks:smile:

I would say that the offer for Warwick is pretty similar to the offer at Cambridge, just without the interview process. My offer this year is 3 A*s / A* Maths and FM, A in 3rd subjects with a 2 in STEP / A* Maths, AA in FM and 3rd subject with a 1 in STEP. Which is going to be pretty tough to meet. However, Warwick maths give an offer to anyone who has predicted grades of AAB and above so you will almost certainly get an offer from them, it's just the question of meeting it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

both are important, UMS probably a little more so but interview still matters
Original post by newblood
both are important, UMS probably a little more so but interview still matters

To what extent is it more important?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there Im am a resitter so I probably have no chance to get into a decent university.
If I achieve AA for further maths and my predicted are A*A*. Is that good enough for any decent university?
I also do economics and will be surprised if I even get a C...
To what extent is it more important?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you'd probably have to do pretty well at interview to recover from bad UMS. With that said, even the most stellar UMS won't make up for interviews that show you're not at all up to scratch
Original post by newblood
you'd probably have to do pretty well at interview to recover from bad UMS. With that said, even the most stellar UMS won't make up for interviews that show you're not at all up to scratch

What do you mean by bad ums?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean by bad ums?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(by cambridge standards) low UMS, sub 90 average

Quick Reply

Latest