The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neek16
I got 4A'S 6B'S for GCSE

Got maths B, economics C, psychology C, chemistry D in Alevels but im resiting one unit from all of then and only got a B in maths because of D1 which i got a C in and got A's in C1 and C2.

I'm applying for Manchester, Sheffield, Cardiff, Liverpool and Lancaster

what do you think??? :confused:

What are your predicted grades? You got really similar results to me though so far :smile: I'm applying to Lancaster and Liverpool as well. Though it'll depend on what your school have predicted you... Lancaster/Liverpool want ABB, Cardiff and Sheffield want AAB and Manchester want extreme grades which I can't remember off the top of my head...
Original post by Neek16
I got 4A'S 6B'S for GCSE

Got maths B, economics C, psychology C, chemistry D in Alevels but im resiting one unit from all of then and only got a B in maths because of D1 which i got a C in and got A's in C1 and C2.

I'm applying for Manchester, Sheffield, Cardiff, Liverpool and Lancaster

what do you think??? :confused:

You'll need A*AB or AAA to get in to manchester with those A levels
Reply 102
My predicted grades are ABC (A in maths, B in economics, C in chemistry)
and i'm on the Manchester Access Programme so my offer is reduced by 40 UCAS points
it's AAA for Manchester so i'll need ABB to get in
GCSE: 3A*s (inc. Maths + Science) 6As 1B
Maths A2: A* [91 C1, 100 C2, 97 C3, 100 C4, 83 S1, 73 M1 (:lolwut)]
Physics AS: A [118/120, 96/120, 46/60 (practical)]
Geography AS: A
Economics AS: B
STEP I - 1 (97 marks)
A2 predictions: A* FM, A* Physics, A Geography.

This is primarily aimed at Cambridge maths, would my grades pose a major problem? My applied modules are abysmal but I don't feel as though I'm that bad at mechanics as I've been answering STEP questions on it all weekend and this is the first time I've ever bothered with them (inc. ones that aren't up on the solution banks yet)... I'm also interested in what problems that B in economics could cause.
Thanks in advance! :o:
Reply 104
Really, I don't think those would be much of a handicap (that 1 in STEP I is going to count for something, I'm pretty certain).

And getting a B in an unrelated AS isn't going to be that much of a hindrance either, I shouldn't think (when I applied I had a B in AS French...)
Original post by around
Really, I don't think those would be much of a handicap (that 1 in STEP I is going to count for something, I'm pretty certain).

And getting a B in an unrelated AS isn't going to be that much of a hindrance either, I shouldn't think (when I applied I had a B in AS French...)

I certainly hope so. Cheers. :o:
Reply 106
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
GCSE: 3A*s (inc. Maths + Science) 6As 1B
Maths A2: A* [91 C1, 100 C2, 97 C3, 100 C4, 83 S1, 73 M1 (:lolwut)]
Physics AS: A [118/120, 96/120, 46/60 (practical)]
Geography AS: A
Economics AS: B
STEP I - 1 (97 marks)
A2 predictions: A* FM, A* Physics, A Geography.

This is primarily aimed at Cambridge maths, would my grades pose a major problem? My applied modules are abysmal but I don't feel as though I'm that bad at mechanics as I've been answering STEP questions on it all weekend and this is the first time I've ever bothered with them (inc. ones that aren't up on the solution banks yet)... I'm also interested in what problems that B in economics could cause.
Thanks in advance! :o:

why dont u change ur AS economics into an A?.....judging from ur other grades in other subjects u can :redface:
Original post by Rahul.S
why dont u change ur AS economics into an A?.....judging from ur other grades in other subjects u can :redface:

I've already got that B and there's nothing I can do about it! I decided to drop economics as it's pretty boring at A-Level. Plus that leaves me more time to do maths. The B hopefully isn't the problem. I'm a bit more worried about my mechanics mark, which was inexplicably low considering I've been doing the STEP counterparts with moderate success...
Reply 108
I've already got that B and there's nothing I can do about it! I decided to drop economics as it's pretty boring at A-Level. Plus that leaves me more time to do maths. The B hopefully isn't the problem. I'm a bit more worried about my mechanics mark, which was inexplicably low considering I've been doing the STEP counterparts with moderate success...

well whether its boring or not....i maybe wud consider makin it an A; but if u feel it will suppress ur grade in further maths then yh 4rget doing it. if u do brilliant in m2, m3 etc.... m1 will be ignored. plus its the overall grade tht matters nd u got an A* in A level maths and a STEP 1 mark :eek:
Original post by Rahul.S
well whether its boring or not....i maybe wud consider makin it an A; but if u feel it will suppress ur grade in further maths then yh 4rget doing it. if u do brilliant in m2, m3 etc.... m1 will be ignored. plus its the overall grade tht matters nd u got an A* in A level maths and a STEP 1 mark :eek:

I think you're missing the point. My AS grade in economics CANNOT physically be changed because it's already been achieved. This is what all Universities on my UCAS application get to see. It doesn't really matter if I drop it or carry on with it...
The thing I'm worrying about it how I'll be judged on my M1 result, which is the only solid evidence of mechanics ability I have (and it's a particularly poor reflection of it). If I don't have an offer to work with, then regardless of what I get in M2 and M3, I won't be able to go to that particular uni. I'm currently worrying about getting the offer, not achieving it (although I know that STEP II and III are potentially the biggest hurdle).
I think you're missing the point. My AS grade in economics CANNOT physically be changed because it's already been achieved. This is what all Universities on my UCAS application get to see. It doesn't really matter if I drop it or carry on with it...
The thing I'm worrying about it how I'll be judged on my M1 result, which is the only solid evidence of mechanics ability I have (and it's a particularly poor reflection of it). If I don't have an offer to work with, then regardless of what I get in M2 and M3, I won't be able to go to that particular uni. I'm currently worrying about getting the offer, not achieving it (although I know that STEP II and III are potentially the biggest hurdle).

get rejected
get S,S in step
reapply
stroll into interview brandishing S,S, pretty much impossible NOT to be made an offer considering not enough people each year even make the 1,1 requirement and they have to take people with 1,2s

problem? :h:
Reply 111

u can always resit an exam for economics. if the course ur enrolling in demands a high grade in mechanics.....I would retake m1 to be on the safe side :cool: but i wudnt think it would be a hindrance if u do good in m2 and m3 duo :/
Original post by ziedj
...get S,S in step... problem? :h:

I love how casually you just said that. :h: :p:
Original post by Rahul.S
u can always resit an exam for economics. if the course ur enrolling in demands a high grade in mechanics.....I would retake m1 to be on the safe side :cool: but i wudnt think it would be a hindrance if u do good in m2 and m3 duo :/

:facepalm:
My AS grade in Economics is CASHED IN, it cannot be changed even if I took the exam and got the required mark. There is also VERY little point in doing so. I'm not really looking for advice here, but rather for people's opinion on my chances of getting in...
Of course the Tripos requires some sort of ability in Mechanics! It will be a hinderance if I don't get an offer because of the M1 grade. You're saying it as though, as an applicant, you see what they want and if you get those grades, you get in. It doesn't work like that. They need to offer you a place first.
Even if I get double 100 in M2 and M3 but don't have an offer to meet, then I won't be able to go to that university...
Reply 114
:facepalm:
My AS grade in Economics is CASHED IN, it cannot be changed even if I took the exam and got the required mark. There is also VERY little point in doing so. I'm not really looking for advice here, but rather for people's opinion on my chances of getting in...
Of course the Tripos requires some sort of ability in Mechanics! It will be a hinderance if I don't get an offer because of the M1 grade. You're saying it as though, as an applicant, you see what they want and if you get those grades, you get in. It doesn't work like that. They need to offer you a place first.
Even if I get double 100 in M2 and M3 but don't have an offer to meet, then I won't be able to go to that university...

people on tsr will give advice in goodwill :biggrin:....and i think ur m1 mark shouldn't hinder u in being offered a place due to ur other grades and other students tht ive known in the past tht have been in a similar position
(edited 13 years ago)

Without actually knowing (Ie the same as everyone) I have a feeling if they thought you were a good enough applicant other than the mechanics they would either grill you with some difficult mechanics in the interview or maybe make an offer like dependent on 90+ over M2 and M3.

It would only be problematic if you were borderline and there was a similar candidate with an A in mechanics. Was that M1 exam OCR last June? Bitch slapped me too, I was literally getting 98% every mock in about 45 minutes :s-smilie:
Original post by Jeppasloth
Without actually knowing (Ie the same as everyone) I have a feeling if they thought you were a good enough applicant other than the mechanics they would either grill you with some difficult mechanics in the interview or maybe make an offer like dependent on 90+ over M2 and M3.

It would only be problematic if you were borderline and there was a similar candidate with an A in mechanics. Was that M1 exam OCR last June? Bitch slapped me too, I was literally getting 98% every mock in about 45 minutes :s-smilie:

I certainly hope so! All I want is a chance to prove that I'm better at mechanics than my grade may suggest.
I was getting 90's across all the mechanics papers I did, that paper really seemed to screw me over. I didn't even feel as though I struggled that much. :s-smilie:
Reply 117
Original post by ziedj
get rejected
get S,S in step
reapply
stroll into interview brandishing S,S, pretty much impossible NOT to be made an offer considering not enough people each year even make the 1,1 requirement and they have to take people with 1,2s

problem? :h:

This is so unbelievably true.
Original post by SimonM
This is so unbelievably true.

Sounds truthful but it would be interesting to see if I can actually manage that... Not an easy task at all.
Reply 119
Sounds truthful but it would be interesting to see if I can actually manage that... Not an easy task at all.

Put in the hours and I believe that most people with the calibre to get a 1 in STEP could get an S.

Quick Reply

Latest