The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Interesting...it looks as if noone has reported any 2013 TC's acceptances yet...
I have an ac with a+o feb 1st, applied day before they closed and got it the day after, haha!

Also messed up my macf and weil apps, using copy and paste I found slaughter in the app even after checking it three times!
Reply 62
Hey all, may as well join this thread :smile:

After having an absolute nightmare of an autumn applying for vacation schemes left, right centre and managing a total of *zero* interviews, I'm going for some TCs. Already rejected within a day from A&O (to their credit, at least they were quick!), just waiting to hear back from CC, Freshfields, Weil Gotshal etc etc.

Background, if anyone's interested: Oxbridge, non-law, predicted 1st, pretty unique but non-law ECs, some commercial law work exp.... not really sure where I am going wrong so far, to be honest....

PLEASE INTERVIEW ME, SOMEBODY, ANYBODY :P
Reply 63
Original post by hmaus
Hi Gerard, welcome to the thread :smile:

Your background sounds pretty strong so not sure why you're not getting interviews. Can you ask your career service or any friends who do law to go over your applications with you? Hang in there and I hope you get some interview invites soon!

Yea, been there, done that! I'm just doing something not quite right. Ah well, my luck will turn at some point :biggrin:
Could it be that Clifford Chance only reviews applications (for the TC) after the deadline? Haven't heard anything after completing their online tests.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Redemption
I have an ac with a+o feb 1st, applied day before they closed and got it the day after, haha!

Also messed up my macf and weil apps, using copy and paste I found slaughter in the app even after checking it three times!

I hate to say this but if you can copy and paste and substitute the firm names then you probably aren't targeting them well enough. Additionally, I would question your attention to detail if you check a form three times and can't even notice the wrong firm name! Hmm maybe I'm being a biatch but fair comments in my opinion.
Original post by hmaus
Not sure. I did the verbal test the other day and it said something like "thanks for completing the tests. Your application is now under review and we will contact you soon" but seeing as the non-law deadline is 31st Jan I can imagine they might be waiting until then to sift through everyone.

For a moment you scared me. :biggrin: I never received an email after the verbal test, so I just checked my status via their application website. In fact, they have sent me the same message. Will try to stay patient. haha

Good luck with Cleary!
Original post by Lell
hurr durr typing errors mean you aren't clever

It wasn't in their motivational competency stuff, it was just a sideways mention of one aspect of skills being relevant to a firm like x (where x = slaughter).
Reply 68
I think my attention to detail point still stands. Think of it from the firm's perspective - imagine if you had spent the time checking a letter three times and still managed to put the wrong name in or something...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by GerardT
Hey all, may as well join this thread :smile:

After having an absolute nightmare of an autumn applying for vacation schemes left, right centre and managing a total of *zero* interviews, I'm going for some TCs. Already rejected within a day from A&O (to their credit, at least they were quick!), just waiting to hear back from CC, Freshfields, Weil Gotshal etc etc.

Background, if anyone's interested: Oxbridge, non-law, predicted 1st, pretty unique but non-law ECs, some commercial law work exp.... not really sure where I am going wrong so far, to be honest....

PLEASE INTERVIEW ME, SOMEBODY, ANYBODY :P

It has to be your application forms, from what you have said. Research, firm specific-ness, relating your cv to desired competencies, commercial awareness etc, utter pain but necessary and a skill you develop through practice.

I was lucky enough to get a TC without formal VS but you definitely should be getting interviews.

Someone like Chalks would probably be best qualified to review your app technique? Failing that PM me.
Original post by Lell
I think my attention to detail point still stands. Think of it from the firm's perspective - imagine if you had spent the time checking a letter three times and still managed to put the wrong name in or something...

Yes okay I get it I lied about checking it three times. It wasn't a firm I was ultra-hot on, so I only scan re-read it. Schoolboy error ofc. Did crap myself about whether or not I'd put it on say slaughter, farrer, fbd, cc, ash and S&C's.

Whilst on the subject, when is normal to hear back from US firms?
Original post by hmaus
I think a lot of US firms start interviewing a bit later than the big UK ones.

I applied to Shearman & Sterling and Dechert, who both only start reviewing apps after the deadline. Also applied to Orrick and haven't heard anything.

Don't know about S&C specifically but they probably interview later as well. I haven't really looked at them as I'm not sure I want to be a guinea pig in their first TC intake :wink:

You sure do get to be a well paid guinea pig, if that's your kinda thing though.
Anyone applied to LathW? I was doing the forms and was struck that they seem to be ultra-hot on the vacscheme and the indication was that there were no places for people who didn't do them. This vaguely true? The deadline for the easter vac has passed - I could apply for a summer vac 2011 but that would involve setting myself back by a whole nother year in terms of a training contract offer.
Hi all,

I was wondering whether tentatively asking about any options to defer (as I hope to do a masters - but no offers just yet) at an assessment day would be a cheeky thing to do. I had no plans to do a masters and so I didn't write anything in my application form, but after consulting the careers advisers and a bit of self-reflection, I would like to pursue a masters to develop some of my skills further. I don't think I would have much opportunity to do a full-time masters if I go into full-time work. Do you think this would affect my chances of getting a TC ...?
Original post by hmaus
If you do the summer vac scheme you won't be set back a year. They would give out TC interviews/offers afterwards, probably about September I guess. Most of the places do go to vac schemers so if you manage to get a place then that's definitely an advantage, but if you can't do the scheme it is still possible to apply for the TC on its own.

I've done most of my UK applications straight to TC, but it seems like the focus is a lot more on VS's at US firms. Here I'm talking Cleary, Latham, Sidley Austin, K&E, Mayer, White&Case, Skadden and S&C.

I want to start in 2013, and start the GDL in September 2011. I think it was you or someone else who said my academics are good enough for the US firms, but I was wondering whether you thought it would be a better idea to go vs with the US firms - since the TC interviews seem to take place in August anyway.

EDIT: ahh, i see you were in the same position and decided to go VS.

2nd Edit: hurm, though if I apply for VS now I may be too late in the rolling recruiting.

I hate rolling recruiting.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by hmaus
If you have the time in the summer them then I certainly think it's worth applying for VS at some of the US firms.

I applied for the Cleary VS because they seem to recruit almost all of their trainees that way and from their website it sounds like you put yourself at quite a disadvantage if you don't go the VS route. Of the US firms they would be one of my top choices so I thought I should just go for it. Unfortunately I can't really apply for many VS as I work full-time but if you can fit them in it would be good. Put in for a few before the deadline and if you get some then that'll look probably help your other US applications if you apply straight for TC.

I applied directly for the TC at White & Case, Mayer Brown and Skadden. I'm also thinking about Latham but not holding my breath for a TC from them without the VS!

We've missed the LathW easter vac scheme date, but could do summer as that's 31st jan - BUT they say summer only for penultimate year students, easter for grads/nonlaw - I'm a grad, nonlaw. Think I'd get flat rejected for summer vac?
Original post by hmaus
Hm, not sure! I'm also grad non-law. You could ring HR and ask if they are willing to be flexible about non-law going on the summer scheme, otherwise you'll have to just go straight for the TC. It must be possible to get in that way - just harder!

When do you have your A&O interview btw?

Feb 1st, of a list of available dates from jan 24th = do you have one also?

As to LathW - I feel like they'd just ask "Why didn't you apply to the easter one?", but I emailed and said I'd be out of country in easter. Will let you know what they say.

Also, how long were your US cover letters? I get the feeling they want a lot more than say, Slaughter do (presumably as slaughter interview a lot more people!) - I can't decide whether to keep it to one good short page, one full long page, or more.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 77
Does anybody have a Links interview? I've got one on Feb.1 but couldn't see any other dates available. I booked it only on 21 of Jan. Now I am totally nervous and scared that I am not prepared well enough. I Want to reschedule. What do you think? They should have other dates available b-c there were only 6 time slots for the 1 Feb. They definately have more candidates to be interviewed. Am I going to annoy them if I request to reschedule it?
Original post by anara
Does anybody have a Links interview? I've got one on Feb.1 but couldn't see any other dates available. I booked it only on 21 of Jan. Now I am totally nervous and scared that I am not prepared well enough. I Want to reschedule. What do you think? They should have other dates available b-c there were only 6 time slots for the 1 Feb. They definately have more candidates to be interviewed. Am I going to annoy them if I request to reschedule it?

you have a week to prepare - that's longer than many firms give you. To be honest, you should be able to do the firm research, think through likely questions about your cv and even do some background commercial awareness reading in that time.

If you have a genuine reason for changing the appointment, that won't probably affect your chances. But for goodness's sake do not tell them you are not ready.

good luck
Reply 79
Original post by peachmelba
you have a week to prepare - that's longer than many firms give you. To be honest, you should be able to do the firm research, think through likely questions about your cv and even do some background commercial awareness reading in that time.

If you have a genuine reason for changing the appointment, that won't probably affect your chances. But for goodness's sake do not tell them you are not ready.

good luck

Thank you for your answer. I am working full-time as a paralegal at a law firm. Even though I have a week, effectively i have only the evenings to prepare. A genuine reason for changing the appointment would be "not getting a leave of absence for the day of interview"...

This is my first interview ever, if you say that many firms do not give any longer than a week, probably, I shouldn't push my luck
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending