Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone I am trying to prove

Interior[interior(A)]=interior(A)

Where A is a set contained in R^n space,

If if start with proving the Int(A) subset Int[int(A)] then this is obvious because

If we let xEint(A), then as Int(A) is open and so there exist r>0 such that open B(x,r) is contained in int(A) and thus x is contained in Int[int(A)] so Int(A) subset Int[int(A)]

but how do I go about proving Int(Int(A)) subset int(A)?

Thank you, any help would be most appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what definition you're using for 'interior', but the one that I remember usually using was 'int A = the largest open set contained in A'. If we go with that definition then the proof almost writes itself. What definition are you working with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljfrugn)
    I'm not sure what definition you're using for 'interior', but the one that I remember usually using was 'int A = the largest open set contained in A'. If we go with that definition then the proof almost writes itself. What definition are you working with?
    The union of all open sets contained in A is the interior of A, which is the largest open set contained in A. Yeah I know the statement is very obvious, but how do you prove it for n space?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zcomputer5)
    The union of all open sets contained in A is the interior of A, which is the largest open set contained in A. Yeah I know the statement is very obvious, but how do you prove it for n space?
    It really is obvious isn't it? I mean, int(A) is the largest open set, so obviously since int(A) is already an open set, int(int(A)) is just int(A) by the definition of interior...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zcomputer5)
    When unsure just use your sets;

The interior is the union of all open sets in A. Hence open. therefore any point in the interior is an interior point, viz. some neighbourhood exists around that point.

Hence

int is a subset of int(int)

Yet the interior of some arbitary set must be contained in that set

hence

int(int) is a subset of int

It is usually easy to argue with inclusion because you are only attempting to do a single thing at once - namely show inclusion in one specific direction; the form of this argument is much better from the way it rests explicitly on quantifiers (almost) so can be easily adapted to prove

The closure of the closure of a set is the closure i.e.

clos(closA) = clos(A)

a result that you could perhaps prove to accompany the proof above they are intimately related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    When unsure just use your sets;

The interior is the union of all open sets in A. Hence open. therefore any point in the interior is an interior point, viz. some neighbourhood exists around that point.

Hence

int is a subset of int(int)

Yet the interior of some arbitary set must be contained in that set

hence

int(int) is a subset of int

It is usually easy to argue with inclusion because you are only attempting to do a single thing at once - namely show inclusion in one specific direction; the form of this argument is much better from the way it rests explicitly on quantifiers (almost) so can be easily adapted to prove

The closure of the closure of a set is the closure i.e.

clos(closA) = clos(A)

a result that you could perhaps prove to accompany the proof above they are intimately related.
    Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.