The Student Room Group

2nd year Psychology student wanting to do Interior Design

Hi Everyone,

I'm almost at the end of my second year of a Psychology and Counselling undergrad degree. I finish my second year next month! I'm already so far through but I don't like my course at all I know I should've realised this sooner and I would be in less of a jam if I had, but I want to do something more creative like interior design.

I don't know if anyone is in this exact same situation and can give me some advice.
I just feel because I have NO motivation to do the work that I'm already not good at all if I stick with it I'll have spent all this time to get a low grade however if I drop out I think I'll be in an insecure position as I also have no qualifications in art or design.
Also, my friends will all be graduating and I'll only just be starting another course (if I even were to get accepted)

If there are Interior Design students who could also inform me of the application process and general idea of what the degree is like I would be very grateful to know.

I know this problem seems like a dead end with no solution at the moment but if there's anyone who is doing a degree they don't like and would rather be doing a design/artistic degree please reach out as we might be able to help one another. Or if anyone has advice in general I would appreciate it!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by gdl7
Hi Everyone,

I'm almost at the end of my second year of a Psychology and Counselling undergrad degree. I finish my second year next month! I'm already so far through but I don't like my course at all I know I should've realised this sooner and I would be in less of a jam if I had, but I want to do something more creative like interior design.

I don't know if anyone is in this exact same situation and can give me some advice.
I just feel because I have NO motivation to do the work that I'm already not good at all if I stick with it I'll have spent all this time to get a low grade however if I drop out I think I'll be in an insecure position as I also have no qualifications in art or design.
Also, my friends will all be graduating and I'll only just be starting another course (if I even were to get accepted)

If there are Interior Design students who could also inform me of the application process and general idea of what the degree is like I would be very grateful to know.

I know this problem seems like a dead end with no solution at the moment but if there's anyone who is doing a degree they don't like and would rather be doing a design/artistic degree please reach out as we might be able to help one another. Or if anyone has advice in general I would appreciate it!

I haven't done a degree or curse in interior design, bhut from what I have seen you don't need it. See the following:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/interior-designer

Personally, I would just finish the degree you are on and then try to apply for work in interior design.

Usually it's a pain to do a master's in interior design without a relevant undergrad or extensive experience in the field, but consider contacting the universities for the following:
https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/architecture-spatial-and-interior-design/postgraduate/ma-interior-and-spatial-design-camberwell#application-process
https://www.gsa.ac.uk/study/graduate-degrees/interior-design/
https://www.rca.ac.uk/study/programme-finder/interior-design-ma/#requirements
https://www.lincoln.ac.uk/course/inardsma/
https://www.uwl.ac.uk/course/postgraduate/interior-environment-design?start=646&option=33
Original post by gdl7
Hi Everyone,

Hey there @gdl7 !
If you were in final year, this would be a completely different situation. However, you're not. You've realised something's not for you after giving it a really good go and you know exactly where you want to go next. Think about it in the terms of what you're paying for. Would you rather be another £9,000 in debt for a course you really don't like? Or would you rather use that 9 grand to pursue a career you actually want by starting fresh. It's never too late to go for what you really want. I wouldn't be worried about friends as you can still keep in contact with them, whilst also having the opportunity to make new friends. There's no point sticking at something you don't enjoy because you're going to make yourself miserable. It seems you're clear in exactly what you want to do and it's definitely not difficult to get you there. If you're unsure about qualifications then why don't you try and find an Interior Design course with a foundation year? Some universities offer a foundation year to catch people up who have never done anything about the subject before.

Hope this helps, please don't worry many others have been in your position.
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 3
Original post by gdl7
Hi Everyone,

Hi this post is a bit old and not sure if you have found an interior design degree you want to study. I am studying an Bsc in interior design with the open university and absolutely love it. Good luck and hope you are able to figure it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending