The Student Room Group

Is it too late to get braces at the age of 18

Will be going dentist tomorrow and dont know what they will do, do they ask you what type of braces and colour you want or do they chose one themselves?

I feel weird about wearing them, i think i will look ugly:frown:
Reply 1
I didn't get my braces fixed until I was seventeen and I thought it was the end of my life! I had to wear them for a little over a year. Tbh you just get used to them, they change the shape of your mouth a little, but I went around for about two weeks and most people didn't even notice until I pointed it out to them. And it's better than having fangs going in all different directions by the time you hit thirty. :smile:
Reply 2
No... I'm almost 19, got my braces when I was 17 1/2 and may still have them for a year yet. It's not that uncommon nowadays, a couple of my other friends had braces at the same age and I know people in their late 20s who have braces. :smile:
My ortho doesn't let me choose the colour... he just gives me white on top and silver on bottom, but I think most orthodontists let you choose the colour :smile:
It's not too late, I got mine at 17, and still have a way to go, but I expected them to be a lot worse than they are. A lot of people didn't even notice until a week or two later, and now I forget about them most of the time! I also think it's getting a lot more common - I'm not the only one with them in upper sixth at my school :smile: And I was allowed to choose the colour, the process of putting them on takes a while, but isn't painful at all, only a bit of aching afterwards
Reply 4
I know someone who decided to get braces at 47ish, and her teeth weren't even crooked.
Why do you want braces?

Do you have a gap between your 2 front teeth?

I have a gap - it drives the ladies wild!!! They always look at me like they need to go to toilet.
Reply 6
It's never too late to get braces. It's better if you do it now then later too, instead of when your thirty or something like that. If you don't want to have it too noticeable you can always get visalign. ^_^
Reply 7
I so badly want braces, but I didn't realise people can get them at this age! Are you going through NHS or Private? And how much are they costing you?
Reply 8
Im 27 and I have them. Im surprised you'll be getting them if you're 18, as I thought you had to pay for them after this age - I have had to pay for mine. Normally on the NHS you will be given the standard metal ones, but because Im paying for mine privately Ive had the clear ceramic ones.
Reply 9
Go for it. The lady at Phones4 U has braces and she is a grown woman

Quick Reply

Latest