The Student Room Group

Braces pain help

This is literally my first night after getting braces and the pain is unbearable. I want to kms and take the brackets off. Does anyone have any tips to relieve or get rid of the pain completely? The wax isn’t helping
Reply 1
You won’t get rid of the pain for a good few days it’s meant to hurt that’s what happens when your teeth are being pulled into a new position. Honestly get used to the feeling because everytime your braces are tightened this is what it will feel like. Take a couple paracetamol and ibuprofen and you’ll be fine!
Reply 2
Painkillers. Take them regularly for the next few days - if you are not sure what is safe to take, either ask your parents or speak to a pharmacist (I think you have to be 16 or above to buy paracetamol and ibuprofen so you may need an adult there with you; they may be able to sell something stronger than paracetamol/ibuprofen depending on your age so definitely worth having a chat to them). Hope you feel better soon - the initial pain of getting braces is the worst, it shouldn't be as bad when you get them tightened (at least it wasn't for me).
Reply 3
Original post by ALEreapp
You won’t get rid of the pain for a good few days it’s meant to hurt that’s what happens when your teeth are being pulled into a new position. Honestly get used to the feeling because everytime your braces are tightened this is what it will feel like. Take a couple paracetamol and ibuprofen and you’ll be fine!

Thank youu!! I’ve already done that but honestly I just feel the urge to pull the whole bracket out. Is it normal for your teeth to feel weak or loose?
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
Painkillers. Take them regularly for the next few days - if you are not sure what is safe to take, either ask your parents or speak to a pharmacist (I think you have to be 16 or above to buy paracetamol and ibuprofen so you may need an adult there with you; they may be able to sell something stronger than paracetamol/ibuprofen depending on your age so definitely worth having a chat to them). Hope you feel better soon - the initial pain of getting braces is the worst, it shouldn't be as bad when you get them tightened (at least it wasn't for me).

Thank youu, I appreciate it. And I’m 21 hahah, the pain is unbearable since I got 0 hours of sleep and had to go work the next morning. Just hope the pain goes after a couple days max
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Thank youu!! I’ve already done that but honestly I just feel the urge to pull the whole bracket out. Is it normal for your teeth to feel weak or loose?

Mine felt exactly like that! I guess that’s the idea so they are moveable. It’s not a feeling you would have experienced before so isn’t nice. I was eating very little the first few days but you learn to deal with it for the future appointments. The satisfying thing is along the course of treatment they will hurt less and less after tightening because your teeth won’t need to move so much x
Original post by Anonymous #1
This is literally my first night after getting braces and the pain is unbearable. I want to kms and take the brackets off. Does anyone have any tips to relieve or get rid of the pain completely? The wax isn’t helping

I’ve heard ice is good for pain too, rub it over the metal wires
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank youu, I appreciate it. And I’m 21 hahah, the pain is unbearable since I got 0 hours of sleep and had to go work the next morning. Just hope the pain goes after a couple days max

Things should start to get better over the next few days. If you are able to take them, you can get nurofen plus and co-codamol over the counter, both of which contain codeine (the former has more) so they may help more than regular paracetamol/ibuprofen.

Quick Reply

Latest