The Student Room Group

18 and still on braces waiting list? How does this work? (Wales)

Hi, so yeah! I'm 18 (have been for 8 months now). I've not really thought about this much until now, having had a hectic year with many family issues, but I just realised that I'm not too sure if I'm still on the waiting list for braces? The last time I remember my dentist mentioning them was around September last year, where he asked my Mum to phone the orthodontists. That didn't happen (again, family issues). Now it has just sunk in that I'm past the under-18 free care. I know I definitely was on a waiting list, but have I vanished off of it by now? Really hoping not, as I have an overbite I need to fix and won't be able to afford private.

I've heard Wales NHS sometimes has better care than England in regards to eligibility and stuff, but...I'm quite a bit past 18 now, being 19 in 6 months. I'm a year behind everyone in school, so will still be in full-time higher education (which I've heard is sometimes relevant when you're under 19?), but by the time I'll be able to book an appointment and ask, I'll definitely be over 19. Where there is an NHS dentist in Wales, waiting times for appointments are looong, just as waiting list for orthodontists. I have a hygienist appointment in October, but I don't think I can ask there. Not too sure what to do! I have university next year too, so if theoretically (and by luck I still qualified) I did manage to get into the orthodontists, how would that work with moving?

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so yeah! I'm 18 (have been for 8 months now). I've not really thought about this much until now, having had a hectic year with many family issues, but I just realised that I'm not too sure if I'm still on the waiting list for braces? The last time I remember my dentist mentioning them was around September last year, where he asked my Mum to phone the orthodontists. That didn't happen (again, family issues). Now it has just sunk in that I'm past the under-18 free care. I know I definitely was on a waiting list, but have I vanished off of it by now? Really hoping not, as I have an overbite I need to fix and won't be able to afford private.

I've heard Wales NHS sometimes has better care than England in regards to eligibility and stuff, but...I'm quite a bit past 18 now, being 19 in 6 months. I'm a year behind everyone in school, so will still be in full-time higher education (which I've heard is sometimes relevant when you're under 19?), but by the time I'll be able to book an appointment and ask, I'll definitely be over 19. Where there is an NHS dentist in Wales, waiting times for appointments are looong, just as waiting list for orthodontists. I have a hygienist appointment in October, but I don't think I can ask there. Not too sure what to do! I have university next year too, so if theoretically (and by luck I still qualified) I did manage to get into the orthodontists, how would that work with moving?

Thank you!

My bad, I meant still in full-time FURTHER education, I'm stupid!
If you haven't even seen an orthodontics then you probably won't get an appointment for over a year....
Odds are you will have to pay for braces...
However, I know that in some cases if you are on the waitlist as U18 and treatment got postponed then you still got U18 free treatment (this happened during COVID 19), I would ring up ortho...
One thing that might move you up the waiting list is talking to your dentist/ortho abt how your overbite is affecting your overall health (e.g. self image, mental health, speaking, etc) to emphasise the need for you to move up. This works for aesthetic treatments on NHS, this is usually private however in cases where pts have mental health and wellbeing problems they may be offered on the NHS.
Hope this helps
If you haven't even seen an orthodontics then you probably won't get an appointment for over a year....
Odds are you will have to pay for braces...
However, I know that in some cases if you are on the waitlist as U18 and treatment got postponed then you still got U18 free treatment (this happened during COVID 19), I would ring up ortho...
One thing that might move you up the waiting list is talking to your dentist/ortho abt how your overbite is affecting your overall health (e.g. self image, mental health, speaking, etc) to emphasise the need for you to move up. This works for aesthetic treatments on NHS, this is usually private however in cases where pts have mental health and wellbeing problems they may be offered on the NHS.
Hope this helps
Sorry don't know why it posted twice...
Call your dentist tomorrow and find out. Their receptionist should be well-informed. Given you're 18 you don't need your mother to make the calls for you anymore.
Ring them asap and see if you're still on the list. Once you're at uni you'll have to come back for your checkups, wire changes etc most likely.

Quick Reply

Latest