The Student Room Group

Orthodontist aid needed

In desperate need of braces. I can't even breathe properly and have been gasping for air for as long as I can remember at this point. I don't know if my teeth are the cause for it but I'm going to walk into my ortho tomorrow and ask that they move my appt forward. Will my issues breathing be valid for NHS funded braces? I don't have asthma or underlying health conditions, so I think it's literally just because of my teeth.
Reply 1
You can only get NHS braces once an orthodontist has assessed your need and walking in there asking for an earlier appointment likely wont get you one. They give you the earliest appointment they have when you get the first appointment. I really can’t see how your teeth would be a cause for breathing issues unless you have something very obviously wrong like a severe overbite… if you have an obstructed airway that would be a different issue. In short if it was your teeth, you would know it was your teeth.
Also if you are over 18 the criteria is far stricter. Have you been to the GP about your breathing?
Reply 2
Original post by ALEreapp
You can only get NHS braces once an orthodontist has assessed your need and walking in there asking for an earlier appointment likely wont get you one. They give you the earliest appointment they have when you get the first appointment. I really can’t see how your teeth would be a cause for breathing issues unless you have something very obviously wrong like a severe overbite… if you have an obstructed airway that would be a different issue. In short if it was your teeth, you would know it was your teeth.
Also if you are over 18 the criteria is far stricter. Have you been to the GP about your breathing ?

Yes I've been multiple times and the closest they've gotten to sorting it out, or even putting me onto the right track to sort it out, has been them telling me I don't have asthma, but I should take an inhaler to be safe. Also, I've been on the waiting list pre-18, so the criteria surely shouldn't be too rough on me(?) wishful thinking, maybe.

I could ask about cancellations is what I was thinking. I was also thinking they could refer me to another one of their sister practices as they all are part of a larger organisation of sorts, running under the same name with a lot of them accepting NHS patients and even offering free orthodontic appointments online.

Quick Reply

Latest