The Student Room Group

OCR Salters F334 Chemistry of Materials (26/01/2011)

Scroll to see replies

Pt electrode is also used in cells where there are only ions used (Fe2+ to Fe3+ and e-), since there's nothing to be used as the electrode. Pt is used because it's inert and conducts electricity.
Reply 141
aaaaah, im really confused when to put moderately concentrated HCL for reagents, and when to put concentratedc H2SO4 or dilute acid etc.. help please?!
Reply 142
Esterification reactions = Concentrated Acid
Hydroysis of esters = Dilute Acid
Hydrolysis of amides = Moderately concentrated acid/or alkali
could anyone......... my hero state the conditions and reagents for all the recations/mechanisms we need to know

also when a something in diluted in a titration like from 25cm to 250cm how to do you 'adjust' your calculations
sorry about the lack of technical terms/poor descrisption i am not that chemistry savvy
Reply 144
Original post by twinkabell_92
could anyone......... my hero state the conditions and reagents for all the recations/mechanisms we need to know

Esterification (making an ester from a carbocylic acid and an alcohol)
Reagent: Concentrated Sulfuric Acid
Conditions: Heat under reflux

Hydrolysis of an amide link/ester/phenol
Reagent: Moderately concentrated acid (HCl or Sulfuric acid) or alkali (NaOH)

Oxidation of Alcohols
Primary alcohol ---> aldehyde
Reagent: Acidified Potassium Dichromate (acidified with concentrated sulfuric acid)
Conditions: Distill

aldehyde ---> carboxylic acid
Reagent: Acidified Potassium Dichromate (acidified with concentrated sulfuric acid)

secondary alcohol ---> ketone

And I believe that's all we need to know. Correct me if I'm wrong.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 145
Original post by parallal
Esterification (making an ester from a carbocylic acid and an alcohol)
Reagent: Concentrated Sulfuric Acid

Oxidation of Alcohols

And I believe that's all we need to know. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just to quickly add... for Oxidation of alcohols, when you are going from a primary alcohol to an aldehyde, you Distill, you don't heat under reflux.
mug what are you on about yes you do.
Reply 147
Original post by AGM
Just to quickly add... for Oxidation of alcohols, when you are going from a primary alcohol to an aldehyde, you Distill, you don't heat under reflux.

Just checked my notes. You are right. I'll go fix that now.
Original post by smj14
aaaaah, im really confused when to put moderately concentrated HCL for reagents, and when to put concentratedc H2SO4 or dilute acid etc.. help please?!

Conc H2SO4 OR HCl to make esters from Carboxylic Acid + Alcohol
No catalyst for making esters from Phenol + Acyl Chloride, it goes at room temp.

Hydrolysing Esters (Adding a molecule back in)
Dilute H2SO4 OR preferred is an Alkali catalyst because it goes to completion (such as NaOH)

Hydrolysing Amides (to a carboxylate ion and an amine) is Moderately Concentrated Acid

Think that's all the ones that are needed :smile:
Does anyone else think that June 2010 paper was extremely hard?

I mean I was getting 75-80 in all the past papers till that one where I got like 69...it was so difficult!
Original post by parallal

It's definately only Dilute Sulfuric they'll accept here, been caught out by that in a few past papers. Worth noting that with an alkili catalyst the reaction goes to completion too :smile:
Original post by Darthdevidem

I mean I was getting 75-80 in all the past papers till that one where I got like 69...it was so difficult!

Yeah! That electrode potential question was horrible :|
Any essential storylines we should have a quick read over of guys? Just read over the ethics around DNA databases, which was a past paper question
Reply 153
Original post by joestevens2092
Any essential storylines we should have a quick read over of guys? Just read over the ethics around DNA databases, which was a past paper question

I reckon BOS process cause i havent seen that in like the actual papers for this spec yet :smile:
Original post by doomhalo
Yeah! That electrode potential question was horrible :|

lol thats the one I'm doing well on. I completely flopped on Q1 and 2 though, lost 15 marks in them both combined :frown:
Reply 155

June i got 77/90 or was it 74? I got in the 70s
69 is A* isnt it?
lol thats the one I'm doing well on. I completely flopped on Q1 and 2 though, lost 15 marks in them both combined :frown:

Yeah was pretty tricky throughout, although I imagine the boundary was a fair bit lower.
Reply 157
Original post by Mr-Joey-C
I reckon BOS process cause i havent seen that in like the actual papers for this spec yet :smile:

But apprantly BOS isn't listed on the spec...
Reply 158
what is bos? :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 159
Original post by smj14
what is bos? :s-smilie::s-smilie:

Basic Oxygen Steeling Making Process.

All you need to know is... steel is at first full of impurities, they get rid of the sulphur with a blast of Magnesium. And get rid of other impurities like Carbon(which makes steel brittle) with a blast of oxygen. Different levels of other elements in the steel give it different properties.

Recycled steel is added to act as a coolant and a source of recycled steel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending