The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yeah i think it is pretty near the medical school. So it will be filled with vets and medics!!! hmmm

I live in london so im used to not having to walk very far lol. Lazy ol' me!!!!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 21
Clarence
Yeah i think it is pretty near the medical school. So it will be filled with vets and medics!!! hmmm

I live in london so im used to not having to walk very far lol. Lazy ol' me!!!!

Hey,

I'm living in Wolfson atm, and yes it is full of Vets.
It is right beside the Vet School (not the Wolfson Medical Building - thats at main campus) so the majority of students here are Vets, but there are still quite a few students from the other faculties.
For getting to the main uni most people get the bus, some cycle and a few walk. I'd reccomend cycling, its quicker than the bus and you get plenty of exercise at the same time.
Someone mentioned about not being able to stay in catered halls over vacation. You can stay in Wolfson over the holidays, obviously you have to pay extra - quite a few of the international students do this.
Reply 22
chocchip
Yeah 45 mins or summit like that!! mmm. a bit worried bout that but i can always get a bus! my walk to school at the moment takes 30mins! I wanna do a wee bit of exercise everyday lol! It doesnt seem to be that popular so hopefully i ve got a good chance of getting in!
Does any1 know if its near the wolfson medical school! I wasnt sure but with there names being similiar i thought maybe?!?

Just noticed you’re going to be doing medicine - there are also quite a few medics/dentists staying in Wolfson. (Plenty of rivalry Between us vets and them :p: )
Also forgot to mention there is a chartered bus that goes direct from Wolfson to the main uni (stops right outside medical school). You have to buy a bus pass for this for the whole year; info should come with your accommodation pack if you get a place in Wolfson.
Reply 23
I liked the idea of catered accomodation, but i opted against Wolfson as QM looked way better!!!
I have a deffered offer to Glasgow for 2007, so does anyone know if I need apply for accomodation now? If so how do you go about doing it?
Murano looks ace and if its the party place sounds mint! QM looks lush as well. Anythings better than boarding school though! :smile:
Reply 25
I think you shouldn't apply until next year. I checked out the forms and there wasn't mentioned deferred entry anywhere. I think it's because you don't need the room right away but maybe it's better if you get a 100% right information somewhere..
Reply 26
I've sent my application for uni accommodation and just wanted to share my preferences :smile:

1. Queen Margaret
2. Winton Drive
3. Murano Hostle
4. Murano Flats
5. Kelvinhaugh Street

Any opinions welcome, even depite I've already sent it :wink:
Reply 27
I basically did the same as you!!!
Reply 28
Does it actually matter what they say in the Residence guide they sent? I mean there has been mentionad that some accommodation is only for postgraduates and later year undergraduates etc. but is it worth applying for them anyway?
Reply 29
I'm not really sure about.

I just put some of them as my 4th and 5th choices because I simply don't want to end up neither in catered accommodation nor in a twin room. So in my case it's more a way of avoiding what I don't what than 'preference' :wink:
Reply 30
What places are u more liekly to have to share a room?
Reply 31
Yeah, i really really don't want to share a room.
Reply 32
I think I just put the cheapest option there. (Meaning Murano Street Hostels, do you think it's hard to live with so many people?) A bit stressing that you have to pay the residence fee in only three parts, which means that they are going to be quite a big sums. :/

Well, it's only a year, maybe I'l survive no matter where I live. Have you planned where to live after the first year? I suppose I'm going to look for a place in the pricate sector.
Reply 33
Salla
So you've already applied, you're quick! I still haven't even got answers from all universities. I'm considering accommodation at Murano Street or Winton Drive. (But you have to put 5 places in the application, don't you? Just for case, I mean.) Student Apartments don't have an access to internet if I'm correct? That's a necessity for me, lol. And at the Cairncross Halls there are so many twin rooms that I'm sure that with my luck I would have to live in one of those rooms. And I'm a person who relaly needs own time.

Luckily the prices are tolerable, I couldn't afford very expensive accommodation. (For example compared to Edinburgh it seems almost cheap. :biggrin:)

I know i want to go there and I had an offer, so I went for it! yes I put five places but I want to be in Cairncross really.

My boyfriend lives up there so if I need to I can use his internet. (and for that matter, go and live with him if they try to make me share)

I'd really hate to share a room, too. It would be impossible for me.

I know what you mean about food, too. I can imagine catering not being very good and I like to eat random things at random times, and I'm veggie so as you say, it's more difficult.

Chocchip, what's your offer? Edit: just found your sig in another thread, couldn't see it for some reason. well done!
Reply 34
I would really like to apply dor accommodation already but the damn Warwick seems to take all the time it has to give offers. I don't even want to go there but I'm too lazy to organise things and withdraw the application. (Especially when the deadline for universities is the end of March and I'm an optimist..)

Besides, I'm not going to apply for the most popular accommodation alternatives so I'm quite sure I'll get into the Murano Street anyway. I know many people wouldn't want to live there but at the moment I don't see the other choices that much better..
Reply 35
Is it possible to apply for flats (like Murano or Winton Drive) if I'm not arranged with any other people to live together? I mean do they only accept groups?
Reply 36
Of course it's possible to apply by yourself. I mean, it seems to be a special case if you apply with a bunch of people rather than applying just for your own accommodation.
Reply 37
hey sloosh! another glasgow medic in the TSR havent seen many around!! u defo going to glasgow? I cant wait! If ur at applicants day 2moz i ll be the one looking hungover! lool yes on a tuesday havent been in glasgow for so long wanna make the most of it!!
Reply 38
oh just read the first page about wolfson! thanx for the info hawk! hope i get in there. I used wanna be a vet an i LOVE animals so i should get on with all the vet types aswell! Wolfson pleeeeaaassee!!
Reply 39
chocchip
hey sloosh! another glasgow medic in the TSR havent seen many around!! u defo going to glasgow? I cant wait! If ur at applicants day 2moz i ll be the one looking hungover! lool yes on a tuesday havent been in glasgow for so long wanna make the most of it!!

Yes, I'll be at glasgow in september, doing medicine if I get the grades (hope and pray) or medical biochemistry if not, so one way or another.

I haven't seen many around either. Are you Scottish originally?

Didn't go to the open day, I've seen it before because I went to the pre-application open day, and living where i do it would have involved missing about two days of school. What happened?

Latest

Trending

Trending