The Student Room Group

Queen Mary vs Warwick?

Hi

I'm an international student and have got offers from QMUL and Warwick for LLB Law(undergraduate). Now, Im confused as to which one to choose as I find both the law schools equally good. Since I'm not from the UK, I would like to seek guidance from some of the local students of UK.

In my country, people are well aware of Warwick due to it's good reputation for the Business and Economics courses but no one knows about its law programmme.
I would also like to know if a degree from QMUL is well recognized over there?

Also, I would also like to disclose that finally I intend to practice corporate law. So, does that make any difference on basing my decision or are these universities both good for corporate law.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I were you, I would base your decision on the location.

Both schools are equally respectable, Warwick's overall reputation may command more prestige, but QMUL's Law Dept really is the star of the university.

I'd base the decision on whether you want to live in London, the world's legal capital or in Warwick, which I'm told is essentially a field with the nearest town being Leamington Spa :smile:

They're both campus universities and QMUL really is special in that it's the only campus uni in London, so acts as a little retreat if the city life gets too much for you!

I don't think you would be disadvantaged in any way if you chose Warwick over QMUL or vice versa! It's all down to personal preference :smile:
Reply 2
Warwick's reputation for Law > QM's reputation for Law.

In the 2009 cycle, I firmed Warwick over QM, but I regretted it since reputation was the only thing persuading me to go for Warwick... good thing I messed up. Personally, given the choice again, I'd firm QM over Warwick because the difference in reputation isn't great enough to justify me living in Coventry/Leamington Spa/the Warwick campus for three years.
Original post by ilamba1
Hi

I'm an international student and have got offers from QMUL and Warwick for LLB Law(undergraduate). Now, Im confused as to which one to choose as I find both the law schools equally good. Since I'm not from the UK, I would like to seek guidance from some of the local students of UK.

In my country, people are well aware of Warwick due to it's good reputation for the Business and Economics courses but no one knows about its law programmme.
I would also like to know if a degree from QMUL is well recognized over there?

Also, I would also like to disclose that finally I intend to practice corporate law. So, does that make any difference on basing my decision or are these universities both good for corporate law.

I agree with Jakko247 totally, and I'll add that as you'd like to end up doing Corporate Law you can't get much better career links than being in London as it is FULL of Corporate firms.
I'd say QMUL :smile:
All I've heard about Warwick is that it is literally a bubble in the middle of nowhere...But you may prefer it if you'd like a peaceful/countryside student uni life?

Edit: P.S QMUL = one of the best UK Law departments at the moment!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Wow, Queen Mary must be very exited to hear that it's being compared to Warwick.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by FreshPrincess1
I'll add that as you'd like to end up doing Corporate Law you can't get much better career links than being in London as it is FULL of Corporate firms.

YeNO.

That is not true. Search for the_black_shinobi's thread on it. Studying in London doesn't automatically equate to having links with corporate firms.
Original post by Jingers
YeNO.

That is not true. Search for the_black_shinobi's thread on it. Studying in London doesn't automatically equate to having links with corporate firms.

No, I mean that if the OP is studying in London they have a range of Corporate firms around them and will therefore get a greater opportunity to visit them and attend workshops/law events at such firms because there are strong links. - This is something I've experienced first hand.

If the OP is aiming to go into Corporate Law it would be better to be studying in the heart of it to start off with, to make sure they like the atmosphere, rather than almost a hundred miles away in Warwick.
Reply 7
Original post by damidude
Wow, Queen Mary must be very exited that it's being compared to Warwick.

Sorry, did you see the results of the latest RAE survey?

QMUL was 11th overall out of 132 institutions and it's law department was rated the best, 5*. Not to mention QM's law dept is ranked within the top 10 of every league table that's out there....Keep your sarcastic thoughts to yourself...

The lecturers are brilliant and I do believe we have a lecturer widely thought to be the most respected academic in the field of medical negligence law....

I find it strange to read your comments, really....

Okay, I can or could understand if you were comparing the two universities head on, but we're talking specifically law departments....
Reply 8
Original post by Jingers
YeNO.

Hey Jingers...

I read his post a while back when I was having a discussion before...now I've experienced living in London I can confirm that I have had great networking opportunities, that which I am sure I can say, I wouldn't have otherwise had if I hadn't went to London to study.

Perhaps I can give some examples:
I have already been to the headquarters of Allen & Overy for a presentation and I am involved with a project with them now, meeting their solicitors who are helping QM's Legal Advice Centre by dedicating solicitors towards the pro bono initiative.

I have regular meetings with a partner of a city firm who has agreed to be my mentor, and I have recently been in contact with other accomplished lawyers who seem really approachable and they always seem to offer to meet for coffee....

Then there's the practical element of being able to drop in on a law firm for a tour of their offices and a chat with trainees which is possible I've found....

I just don't think this concentration of law firms exists anywhere else in the world....and there's real scope to make the most of that...
There is definately opportunities to become involved in pro bono initiatives...I have worked alongside Clifford Chance solicitors in advice centres and been able to network that way....I don't think the same opportunities are available in the smaller cities....or at least not to the same extent.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Ignore Jacko, he is obsessed with QMUL.

Warwick has a much better reputation domestically and internationally, it's simply a fact.

All that matters is the overall reputation, not how good the individual law department ranks.
Original post by Jakko247
If I were you, I would base your decision on the location.

Both schools are equally respectable, Warwick's overall reputation may command more prestige, but QMUL's Law Dept really is the star of the university.

I'd base the decision on whether you want to live in London, the world's legal capital or in Warwick, which I'm told is essentially a field with the nearest town being Leamington Spa :smile:

They're both campus universities and QMUL really is special in that it's the only campus uni in London, so acts as a little retreat if the city life gets too much for you!

I don't think you would be disadvantaged in any way if you chose Warwick over QMUL or vice versa! It's all down to personal preference :smile:

I would ignore most of this advice. Arguably the two law departments might be on par, but Warwick is significantly more prestigious and its graduate is far more sought after. The Warwick campus is significantly better and if you choose not to be a lawyer then far more prominent firms (actually all of them) come to Warwick careers fares, whereas this is not the case for Queen Mary's.

Don't get me wrong: Queen Mary's is an excellent university especially for law, but in terms of graduate prospects it is nowhere near as good as Warwick and there's a good chance you would be disadvantaged choosing Queen Mary's if you decided to go for a non-law career, but probably also if you went for a law career.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by tomlocke
Ignore Jacko, he is obsessed with QMUL.

Warwick has a much better reputation domestically and internationally, it's simply a fact.

All that matters is the overall reputation, not how good the individual law department ranks.

By that reasoning you might as well say, it doesn't matter what the quality of the education is, just as long as the reputation of the university is good.

Firms look for good quality graduates, and universities with the exception of Oxbridge, tend to have good and bad departments. It just so happens one of QM's good departments, is the law dept.

I didn't come to this thread to degrade Warwick, I came offering advice and that's all I've done.
You on the other hand along with the other guy insist on getting into these foolish debates arguing that one is better than the other. Can you explain to me the grounds for your wild assumptions?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by FreshPrincess1
No, I mean that if the OP is studying in London they have a range of Corporate firms around them and will therefore get a greater opportunity to visit them and attend workshops/law events at such firms because there are strong links. - This is something I've experienced first hand.

If the OP is aiming to go into Corporate Law it would be better to be studying in the heart of it to start off with, to make sure they like the atmosphere, rather than almost a hundred miles away in Warwick.

Errrm they all go to Warwick and hold careers fairs/ workshops and law events on campus. Warwick is so good that the prestigious firms pay a lot of money to come to them so their students don't even need to travel! If you were comparing QMUL to a less prestigious university that would be the case, but with Warwick all the firms go there.
Reply 13
Original post by invictus_veritas
I would ignore most of this advice. Arguably the two law departments might be on par, but Warwick is significantly more prestigious and its graduate is far more sought after. The Warwick campus is significantly better and if you choose not to be a lawyer then far more prominent firms (actually all of them) come to Warwick careers fares, whereas this is not the case for Queen Mary's.

Don't get me wrong: Queen Mary's is an excellent university especially for law, but in terms of graduate prospects it is nowhere near as good as Warwick and there's a good chance you would be disadvantaged choosing Queen Mary's if you decided to go for a non-law career, but probably also if you went for a law career.

The state of the grammar, spelling and overall style of this response leads me to believe the only university you went to is the so called University of Life.

You probably don't go to either Warwick or QM's law dept and you are probably not a law student. You aren't very well placed to be offering advice to be fair, and so rather than disregarding my advice, the OP should disregard yours.

You have no idea what firms attend QM's law department and for a start, Linklaters, a magic circle firm and widely accepted to be the biggest law firm in the world attends the 'fair'.

If you were in the field of giving advice from an outsider's perspective, then the advice you should be giving is that based on the differences between the two schools, as it is, it would be largely and almost entirely based on the candidates own merits whether they will succeed of fail in any part of their life, and probably nothing to do with whether he went to QM or Warwick.
Reply 14
o_O I'm typing on a really dodgy keyboard so please don't try to judge my intelligence by my spelling. I have to press really hard on the keys to get certain letters out and one of them is S and another is F, but there are ome more too.

As for my university: I am not going to be specific because I value anonymity, but I will tell you that the standard offer for my course is A*AA now...

I've also been enthusiastic about law from a very young age, having completed mini-pupillages before I even had GCSEs, worked in solicitors offices and done various internships.

Basically I know what I'm talking about when it comes to law and I even said in my post that the law departments might even be the same in terms of standards, my point was that Warwick overall is more prestigious, if the OP ever changed their mind about a legal career and wanted to go into something else then they would be disadvantaged by going to QMUL because far less prominent firms go there outside of law. I think this is pretty sound advice seeing as the average person now has something in the region of 6 different careers.

Well seems as though I saw you type 'law fare' I thought it was a little disappointing for you to be giving advice. I see no reason why you put an E in the word, but I'm willing to pass that off as a human error, haha.

If you read my original post you will see I admit that Warwick might be more 'prestigious' but what is that in the end? Nothing of discernable value except in academically snobby circles. I really believe the benefit of studying in the 'legal capital' of the world is grossly underestimated.
I have a general feeling that top firms really value the chance to interact and build up relationships with aspiring lawyers. Part of, rewarding back society for the million pound salaries they draw, perhaps.
I will avoid the juvenile 'this university is better than that university' but I would 100% have chose QM over Warwick knowing what I know now.
Does Warwick have the pro bono opportunities and the Legal Advice Centre QM has? I'm not sure, but I know QM does.

There are lots of opportunities in London if people only take the effort to find them. I really believe there isn't the same extra curricular opportunities in Coventry...and you mention the law fair but that's once per year and every university has one. Can you really tell me it's beneficial to see a presentation from a firm once per year? What about meeting a partner of a city firm every month for coffee, building up a relationship, which one would you value more?

P.s. I'd hardly call some pre-GCSE experience at chambers a mini-pupilage :tongue:
Reply 15
o_O I'm typing on a really dodgy keyboard so please don't try to judge my intelligence by my spelling. I have to press really hard on the keys to get certain letters out and one of them is S and another is F, but there are ome more too.

As for my university: I am not going to be specific because I value anonymity, but I will tell you that the standard offer for my course is A*AA now...

I've also been enthusiastic about law from a very young age, having completed mini-pupillages before I even had GCSEs, worked in solicitors offices and done various internships.

Basically I know what I'm talking about when it comes to law and I even said in my post that the law departments might even be the same in terms of standards, my point was that Warwick overall is more prestigious, if the OP ever changed their mind about a legal career and wanted to go into something else then they would be disadvantaged by going to QMUL because far less prominent firms go there outside of law. I think this is pretty sound advice seeing as the average person now has something in the region of 6 different careers.

I agree 100 percent. If for only that reason.

Sure the area around Warwick might not be eventful...but anywhere you go with thousands of 18-21 year olds is going to have something going on.
I'd go for Warwick because of what I've heard about the quality of it's research.
Reply 17
Original post by adam0311
I agree 100 percent. If for only that reason.

Sure the area around Warwick might not be eventful...but anywhere you go with thousands of 18-21 year olds is going to have something going on.

What I don't understand about this is even if you do change your career path, that's not changing the degree, you will still have a law degree.

A law degree is very relevant in a lot of careers.

If the original point-maker means on the other hand, more firms will be inclined towards the Warwick degree, well then I have to say if a firm chose a candidate from Warwick over one from QMUL simply based on university preference, well I doubt the job is worth the effort

If you want to talk prestige, talk the University of London degree that QMUL gives out. I very much think that the hisitoric UoL degree is more internationally recognised than the Warwick degree.
For jobs not requiring any specific degrees, like IBs or Consultancy, overall uni reputation > Department reputation. You'd find it harder to get interviews from a non-target uni.
Reply 19
Original post by Jakko247
What I don't understand about this is even if you do change your career path, that's not changing the degree, you will still have a law degree.

A law degree is very relevant in a lot of careers.

If the original point-maker means on the other hand, more firms will be inclined towards the Warwick degree, well then I have to say if a firm chose a candidate from Warwick over one from QMUL simply based on university preference, well I doubt the job is worth the effort

If you want to talk prestige, talk the University of London degree that QMUL gives out. I very much think that the hisitoric UoL degree is more internationally recognised than the Warwick degree.

Don't get me wrong QMUL has a solid law department--I wouldn't have applied there if it wasn't.

However, as a WHOLE, Warwick is the stronger uni...thus, for a non-law career it would be a better option. Queen Mary averages somewhere between 35 and 45 in rankings. Warwick is a consistent top 15, if not top 10.

I doubt a non-law HR department would know that QMUL ranks in the top 15 for law. Plus, in non-law careers, department reputation is pretty much irrelevant.

With regards to the UoL degree...its the college that matters not the UoL aspect. I doubt if QMUL has much of an international reputation in comparison to Warwick.

Now with regards to your comment---"well then I have to say if a firm chose a candidate from Warwick over one from QMUL simply based on university preference, well I doubt the job is worth the effort"--you do understand that in the MC 60 percent come from the top 10? Thus uni reputation has SOME weight. Are you saying that an MC job is not worth it? Pretty much any well paying entry level job (be it consulting, IB, law, etc.) is going to put some weight on uni reputation. Sure, uni reputation isn't the end all be all...but it is a factor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing QMUL. Go through my past posts, I'm constantly defending it. However, this is a question of QMUL vs. Warwick.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending