The Student Room Group

OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 3 answers Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
please help ....

how many marks for differentiating on 9 ii)...

thanks for all the help mr M
Original post by gunnerab
thanks, is an A* feasible then??
really need it fr the cambridge offer :P

yes
Original post by .?.
please help ....

how many marks for differentiating on 9 ii)...

thanks for all the help mr M

probably 2 and you are welcome
Hey mr m, thanks for all of the help! How many marks for differentiating 9 iii and stating the SP = 0, then making a very limited attempt to solve it for x?
Sorry, at Sp, dy/dx=0...
Original post by hutchy2010
for Q4 I put 25sin(theta + 73.8) instead of + 16.8 i did 24/7 instead of 7/24

I then worked out the answer for the next part using this answer.

assuming I did part ii correct using 25sin(theta+73.8) how many marks would I lose for Q4

1 for accuracy
Reply 86
Original post by Mr M
OCR (not OCR MEI) CORE 3 answers Jan 2011

1. x=a3x=\frac{a}{3} or x=3ax=-3a (3 marks)

2. Translation 3 units in negative x direction, reflection in x axis, stretch scale factor 4 in y direction. Stationary points (-5, 24) and (-3, 0) (4 marks)

3. dAdt=45000cm2hr1\frac{dA}{dt}=45000 \, cm^2 hr^{-1} (3 marks)

4. (i) 25sin(θ+16.3)25\sin(\theta + 16.3) (3 marks)

ii) θ=12.4\theta = 12.4^\circ or θ=135\theta = 135^\circ (4 marks)

5. V=24πln5V=24 \pi \ln 5 (9 marks)

6. i) dydx=2(3x316x3)(x34x2+2)2\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-2(3x^3-16x-3)}{(x^3-4x^2+2)^2} and show ... (4 marks)

ii) (2.398, -1.552) (5 marks)

7. i) x=e88x=\sqrt{e^8 - 8} (3 marks)

ii) f has inverse f1(x)=exf^{-1} (x) = e^x (3 marks)

iii) 6e3\frac{6}{e^3} (3 marks)

iv) 20.3 (3 marks)

8. a) i) 2 positive U shapes and 2 negative inverted U shapes (3 marks)

ii) β=3πα\beta = 3\pi - \alpha (2 marks)

b) i)
Unparseable latex formula:

\tan 2\theta = \frac{2 \tan \theta}{1-\tan^2 \theta}}

(1 mark)

ii) 225322\frac{225}{322} (6 marks)

9. i) a) Show ... (3 marks)

b) Show and
Unparseable latex formula:

x>\frac{\ln 3}{4}}

(5 marks)

ii) y2ky \geq 2 \sqrt k (5 marks)

hi mr m - thanks for posting the answers up :smile: i got a few questions:

2) i think i drew the correct grah and labelled the correct stationary points. i also stated the translation and stretch of sf but this case (-4), therefore i forgot to mention reflection: how many marks will i lose?

5) I can't remember what i got here but i think i wrote 12 something...will you be able to go through the method of that question with me.

6ii) for this question i got (2.399,-1.522), therefore are you sure the answer is right. if your answer is right, how many marks will i lost considering i did the iterative process correct?

8aii) here, i put -cosec(x-2pi) will i get any marks?

8bii) for this question, i figured that tanx=1/4 and then i multiplied out tan4x=tan(2x+2x) and changed cotx to 1/tanx etc...but my answer was 100/161 :s-smilie: how many marks will i lose?

9ia) for this question i diffrentiated then put in values of x=1, x=-1 and x=0 to come to a answer than the derivative is greater than 0, therefore how many marks will i lose :s-smilie:

bi) could you go over this question with me because i didn't get the right answer but how many marks will i lose if i diffrentiated again to find the second derivative?

9ii) i didn't have enough time to finish but stated that the answer can be found if k was found and one that equation was differentiated, then it can be equated to 0 to find the stationary point hence the range? will i get any marks for that question.

thanks again for taking time in reading my message and as a whole - how hard do you think this paper was compared to all the other past papers? what mark boundary will you reckon for a C, B and A?
Reply 87
for 9ii did you need to differentiate?
Reply 88
How many marks would I lose on 1st question, if I wrote both the answers but a=, instead of x=?
Reply 89
Thanks for the answers mr m :smile:
For question 1 did you need to get more than 1 answer?
And for q2 i struggled in drawing the graph but listed the transformations and stated the stationary points, do u think il gain any marks for doing this?
And finally i made a really silly mistake on question 5 and got a wrong value of a, all the rest of my working was correct, how many marks do u think il lose?
thanks so much for all of the help its much appreciated :smile:
Original post by mathsgeek101
Hey mr m, thanks for all of the help! How many marks for differentiating 9 iii and stating the SP = 0, then making a very limited attempt to solve it for x?

probably 2
Original post by trix909
How many marks would I lose on 1st question, if I wrote both the answers but a=, instead of x=?

2 probably.
Original post by pippa126
Thanks for the answers mr m :smile:
For question 1 did you need to get more than 1 answer?
And for q2 i struggled in drawing the graph but listed the transformations and stated the stationary points, do u think il gain any marks for doing this?
And finally i made a really silly mistake on question 5 and got a wrong value of a, all the rest of my working was correct, how many marks do u think il lose?
thanks so much for all of the help its much appreciated :smile:

1) yes

2) 3 out of 4

5) lose 2
Original post by coffee345
hi mr m - thanks for posting the answers up :smile: i got a few questions:

2) i think i drew the correct grah and labelled the correct stationary points. i also stated the translation and stretch of sf but this case (-4), therefore i forgot to mention reflection: how many marks will i lose?

5) I can't remember what i got here but i think i wrote 12 something...will you be able to go through the method of that question with me.

6ii) for this question i got (2.399,-1.522), therefore are you sure the answer is right. if your answer is right, how many marks will i lost considering i did the iterative process correct?

8aii) here, i put -cosec(x-2pi) will i get any marks?

8bii) for this question, i figured that tanx=1/4 and then i multiplied out tan4x=tan(2x+2x) and changed cotx to 1/tanx etc...but my answer was 100/161 :s-smilie: how many marks will i lose?

9ia) for this question i diffrentiated then put in values of x=1, x=-1 and x=0 to come to a answer than the derivative is greater than 0, therefore how many marks will i lose :s-smilie:

bi) could you go over this question with me because i didn't get the right answer but how many marks will i lose if i diffrentiated again to find the second derivative?

9ii) i didn't have enough time to finish but stated that the answer can be found if k was found and one that equation was differentiated, then it can be equated to 0 to find the stationary point hence the range? will i get any marks for that question.

thanks again for taking time in reading my message and as a whole - how hard do you think this paper was compared to all the other past papers? what mark boundary will you reckon for a C, B and A?

you didn't need to state the transformations on 2 - I just did that as I couldn't be bothered to attach a picture

5) I'm too lazy to do it all but you should have found a = 9 by integrating the area and then used this limit to find the volume.

6) Just whacked it into this computer and the point is (2.3979886339, -1.55210364) to lots of places so you made an error somewhere. Hard to say how much you might lose here as it depends what you did wrong and whether any of your iterations were correct.

8a) no

b) lose 2 or 3 - you were on the right lines there

9a) probably lose 2

I don't like to guess grade boundaries but it was fairly difficult.
Hi Mr M! Thanks for this
I was hoping you could work out how many marks ive lost :smile:

1. i squared both sides and got a quadratic but i didnt know what to do after that
3. i left it as 14400pi with no units
5. i left it as 12ln25
6. i dont think it quite got the differentiate part quite right but i got the 2.398, and for the 2nd part i dont think i got the right y value but i did some working
7. iii) didnt get it right but did some working
8. a) ii) wrong but did some drawing on my graph to indicate area, b) ii) i did the wrong formula for the tan4(theta) even though i said it was tan(2*2(theta)) and used that to get the wrong answer, i got the other parts right for ii
9. i) b) i used ln but stupidly made lne^2x=x^2 and same for the other bit so it was wrong would i get any for working? :s-smilie:
ii) i differentiated but again used like lne^2x= x^2 and i think so it went a bit wrong

sorry for the list!! :smile:
and also what grade do you think i will get? :smile:
Reply 95
MrM; on question 8bii) I expanded out everything correctly, like tan(4x) and cot(2x) and tan(2x). i wrote them all down in terms of tan(x). and i'm sure i'm right with my expanding. but when i subbed in the values i must have done something wrong and so i did the wrong multiplication

how many marks do you think i'd lose :frown: (it was out of 6)
Reply 96
Man I am not looking forward to OCR Core 3 :frown:
Reply 97
I have completely failed this paper......I got a fraction for the volume question! :frown:

On number 6 i) do you have to collect and simplify the terms because I just left it when doing the quotient rule.

still on 6 ii) How did you rearrange the expression?
I've done so badly... I worked out my maximum mark is 43/72 and thats with a hell of a lot of luck. I didn't even write anything for 4 ii) or iii) and nearly nothing for all of 8 or 9...

Anyone starting revision for June resits yet? :frown:
Reply 99
Original post by AnEmeraldSky
I've done so badly... I worked out my maximum mark is 43/72 and thats with a hell of a lot of luck. I didn't even write anything for 4 ii) or iii) and nearly nothing for all of 8 or 9...

Anyone starting revision for June resits yet? :frown:

Hell yeah!.....
I started my C3 June resit as soon as I came out of the exam hall.....:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending