The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who found the King's Speech boring?

Scroll to see replies

i thought it was kinda boring too, mind you i have a pretty random (terrible) taste in films lol
Reply 21
I didn't think it dragged at all :erm: Often in films I'm trying to look at my watch to see if the film will be over soon, but I didn't get bored once. Each to their own I suppose!
Original post by rylit91
I'm not afraid that I'll take issue with you on "Colin Firth was excellent." Not that I doubt his acting abilities, and I haven't seen the film, but I object to Hollywood making a quick buck out of our history. I don't mind the telling of our history, I encourage it, but when it's so overly dramatised/americanised, it's truly awful.

What further renders me irate is that said Mr Firth openly objects to the monarchy and says he doesn't support unelected authorities. Oh, okay, but that doesn't stop you paying your bills off the back of Her Majesty's family. Scumbag.

If you actually saw the film or did some research, you would find that the King doesn't want to be King at all, but there wasn't exactly a whole lot he could do about it. The film doesn't exactly take a stance of anti-monarchy, but it hardly gives the impression that being royal is brilliant either.

If you are going to openly criticise a film you really should see it first before you make a tit of yourself.
Reply 23
Original post by catoutofthebag
If you actually saw the film or did some research, you would find that the King doesn't want to be King at all, but there wasn't exactly a whole lot he could do about it. The film doesn't exactly take a stance of anti-monarchy, but it hardly gives the impression that being royal is brilliant either.

If you are going to openly criticise a film you really should see it first before you make a tit of yourself.

I hope you weren't trying to give me a History lesson. I needn't say any more.
Reply 24
It would have been better with zombies
Original post by rylit91

Original post by rylit91

Respond to my post please.
Original post by rylit91

Not at all - I'll be honest, all I know is what's presented in the film. But you can hardly be so harsh about a film when you haven't even seen it. Whether the film is historically accurate or not, Colin Firth can be excused for taking the role despite his opinion of 'unelected authorities' because it's a character who is forced into a position he's downright terrified of, all because of the concept of unelected authority.

If you see the film and then still feel the way you do then I can't say fairer than that, that's your opinion, but I can't respect your opinion unless you actually see the film you are attacking.
Reply 27
Original post by catoutofthebag
Not at all - I'll be honest, all I know is what's presented in the film. But you can hardly be so harsh about a film when you haven't even seen it. Whether the film is historically accurate or not, Colin Firth can be excused for taking the role despite his opinion of 'unelected authorities' because it's a character who is forced into a position he's downright terrified of, all because of the concept of unelected authority.

If you see the film and then still feel the way you do then I can't say fairer than that, that's your opinion, but I can't respect your opinion unless you actually see the film you are attacking.

You seem to have missed the point I was attempting to make. I'm not concerned with the film's content, although I'm sure it leaves a lot to be desired, what I take issue with is the people making films about something that, quite frankly, is above film making. I thought "The Queen" was bad enough. The Monarchy isn't here to provide entertainment for gormless people from all corners of the world who want to see a cringe-inducingly dramatised version of our history. I am also attacking the fact that Colin Firth is quick to take a role and earn some money from someone's perhaps painful past, and yet in real life criticises and despises those he is playing. So Her Majesty's family is providing a story at great personal cost to them that he is hijacking and making money off the back of.

I wonder how long before "Diana" comes to a cinema near us all.
I haven't seen it but was given the choice between King's Speech and Black Swan. Without much hesitation I went for the latter but the idea of watching a psychological thriller appeals more to me than a historical film anyway. Firth will get best actor with all the hype surrounding his performance but I do hope Black Swan and The Fighter take a good share of the plaudits.
Reply 29
Original post by Phalanges
Please explain to me how a film made by an independent production company based out of London with a British director, British writer and British cast is Hollywood making a quick buck.

So what you have an issue with is people acting. Do you sit through Scarface and say "Goddammit, Al Pacino is such a scumbag. He's got rich by playing a drug warlord when he's anti-murder!"?

For the latter comment, refer to my answer to someone else.

Actually it's a UK/Australian company. So you have somewhat of a point, but your assertiveness is unwarranted. Who do you think this was predominately aimed at? Americans. The Weinstein Company produced it in the US and I'm pretty sure they didn't do it for free.

It's a private story that doesn't need telling. How many people went to this film with a notepad and pen, taking notes and trying to learn some historical facts? The only reason they went was for entertainment from a story they most likely have never heard of before/know nothing about.

They made it to make money.
Original post by rylit91
For the latter comment, refer to my answer to someone else.

Your comment to someone else doesn't answer my question. Do you have a problem with anyone else acting in a role that they don't support, such as the many films with murderers in, or are you being hypocritical?

Actually it's a UK/Australian company. So you have somewhat of a point, but your assertiveness is unwarranted. Who do you think this was predominately aimed at? Americans. The Weinstein Company produced it in the US and I'm pretty sure they didn't do it for free.

What does it's audience have to do with Hollywood making money out of it? Seriously, your first post said this film was "just Hollywood making a quick buck". Nothing you've said here is at all supportive of that claim.

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of film terminology. The Weinstein Company were distributers, not producers. Furthermore, they're an independent company. Trying to use them as an example of Hollywood's exploitation of our history is an idiotic move.

It's a private story that doesn't need telling. How many people went to this film with a notepad and pen, taking notes and trying to learn some historical facts? The only reason they went was for entertainment from a story they most likely have never heard of before/know nothing about.

What a ridiculously hypocritical paragraph. At first you complain because it's not informative. Then you complain because the audience going don't know anything about the subject. By definition, when they come out of this film they will therefore be more informed.

Also, entertaining and informative are not mutually exclusive concepts, which you appear to be treating as if they are. Also, people do not have to take notes to learn. Not many people watch documentaries with a pen in hand, and yet millions of people around the world are informed by them.

They made it to make money.

It was made for a multitude of reasons, of which money was not the primary one. You only have to look at what everyone attached to this film has done previously to see that they didn't go into the film business principally to make money.

Look, you don't seem to know what the hell you're talking about. On any level. I suggest that rather than sit in your ivory tower complaining about the bastardisation of history you either shut up about something you have no comprehension of, or you go and watch. Who knows, you might actually learn something.
Reply 31
Original post by Phalanges
Your comment to someone else doesn't answer my question. Do you have a problem with anyone else acting in a role that they don't support, such as the many films with murderers in, or are you being hypocritical?

What does it's audience have to do with Hollywood making money out of it? Seriously, your first post said this film was "just Hollywood making a quick buck". Nothing you've said here is at all supportive of that claim.

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of film terminology. The Weinstein Company were distributers, not producers. Furthermore, they're an independent company. Trying to use them as an example of Hollywood's exploitation of our history is an idiotic move.

What a ridiculously hypocritical paragraph. At first you complain because it's not informative. Then you complain because the audience going don't know anything about the subject. By definition, when they come out of this film they will therefore be more informed.

Also, entertaining and informative are not mutually exclusive concepts, which you appear to be treating as if they are. Also, people do not have to take notes to learn. Not many people watch documentaries with a pen in hand, and yet millions of people around the world are informed by them.

It was made for a multitude of reasons, of which money was not the primary one. You only have to look at what everyone attached to this film has done previously to see that they didn't go into the film business principally to make money.

Look, you don't seem to know what the hell you're talking about. On any level. I suggest that rather than sit in your ivory tower complaining about the bastardisation of history you either shut up about something you have no comprehension of, or you go and watch. Who knows, you might actually learn something.

I think the fact that you are so passionate about films, and the fact that you are a TSR Moderator is more than enough evidence that I should leave this thread in the interest of sanity. I have more than enough to counter your arguments, but as I say, perhaps I'd best leave you to brood.
Original post by rylit91
I think the fact that you are so passionate about films, and the fact that you are a TSR Moderator is more than enough evidence that I should leave this thread in the interest of sanity. I have more than enough to counter your arguments, but as I say, perhaps I'd best leave you to brood.

A sign of a pseudo-intellect; does not counter the argument, point out 'flaws' in another's character totally irrelevant to the argument (borderline Ad hominem) and make promises that their non-existent point is better but fails to express the imaginary counter-argument.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
A sign of a pseudo-intellect; does not counter the argument, point out 'flaws' in another's character totally irrelevant to the argument (borderline Ad hominem) and make promises that their non-existent point is better but fail to express the imaginary counter-argument.

As is excessively listing terminology that adds nothing to a discussion, is wholly nugatory and whose 'point' is hollow and irrelevant.
Original post by rylit91
As is excessively listing terminology that adds nothing to a discussion, is wholly nugatory and whose 'point' is hollow and irrelevant.

Q.E.D.

I thought you were leaving? Can anything you say be considered valid?
Reply 35
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Q.E.D.

I thought you were leaving? Can anything you say be considered valid?

My intention was more to leave that isolated 'debate'. I was going to abstain from the thread altogether but I can't let you get away with fooling people into believing you possess an intellect superior to others'. In fact, I'll do my best to distance myself from now on.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by rylit91
My intention was more to leave that isolated 'debate'. I was going to abstain from the thread altogether but I can't let you get away with fooling people into believing you possess an intellect superior to others'.

No such illusion exists. Why would raising a perfectly valid point, about your assumption that your point was better, constitute me as 'fooling people into believing you possess an intellect superior to others'. Do you use that line in every argument in which you are proven a fool. Again you like inventing things out of thin air.

Solid evidence suggests people find you to be doing the same thing: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29706116&postcount=12

Do us all a favour and leave. :yawn:
Reply 37
I thought it was perfectly brilliant, but then I love history and my degree was in linguistics! It was honestly one of the best films I've seen for quite some time.
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

My biggest problem with the film was the anticlimactic ending. Since Colin Firth's character can deliver a speech perfectly if he's plugged into loud music, (the Shakespeare bit at the beginning) surely it would be have been much easier on everyone involved if he made the radio broadcast while listening to Mozart? I couldn't get over that plot hole.
Original post by Dogatonic
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

My biggest problem with the film was the anticlimactic ending. Since Colin Firth's character can deliver a speech perfectly if he's plugged into loud music, (the Shakespeare bit at the beginning) surely it would be have been much easier on everyone involved if he made the radio broadcast while listening to Mozart? I couldn't get over that plot hole.

That's a good point, but it would be cheating slightly, wouldn't it? The point isn't just for him to be able to give a speech without stuttering, it's also, cheese alert, for him to have confidence in himself as well. The music bit was for Logue to prove to him that he was capable of speaking fluently, the next step was to get him to be able to do it without that sort of help. If the film went as you are suggesting (if you could even make a full length film from that), surely THAT would anticlimactic?

Also, the film is based on a true story, so there's that too.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest