The Student Room Group

where to apply for law?

I'm predicted 42 IB (777 HL). I took LNAT a few days ago and while I feel okay about the multiple choice section, my essay was worse than the practice essays I wrote before. I'm an international (EU) applicant so I don't really need any "safety" choices.

My university choices are as follows:
1. LSE (they don't look at LNAT essay apparently)
2. UCL
3. Durham
4. Nottingham (non-LNAT)
5. Warwick / Manchester / Bristol / Edinburgh

So the pros and cons I wrote down are:
Warwick
+A good university overall
+non-LNAT
-apparently law isn't among their best subjects
-small town

Manchester
+non-LNAT
+standard offer lower than all the others
-apparently not that good for law

Bristol
+a good university overall and apparently law is one of their particularly good subjects
-emphasis on LNAT essay

Edinburgh
+good overall
+law is well-regarded from what I have seen
+non-LNAT
+I really like the city
-only offers Scots law

I would appreciate any advice :smile:
Reply 1
hey, I am also doing IB and I am literally in the exact same position as you, same predicted, and I don't think I did that well on the LNAT. So I have been doing some research and it's not recommended to apply to more than 2 LNAT unis unless you are sure you did well. Also, from what I have read, LSE does care about the LNAT, and the average score amongst applicants who received offers was around 27, which is high, and UCL's was 29. Also, you should consider Queen Mary, Kings, Leeds, and Durham, all are strong in their law departments. Oh, and Edinburgh is an extremely boring city, in my opinion, it's very education-oriented so keep that in mind.
Original post by aloexo
I'm predicted 42 IB (777 HL). I took LNAT a few days ago and while I feel okay about the multiple choice section, my essay was worse than the practice essays I wrote before. I'm an international (EU) applicant so I don't really need any "safety" choices.

My university choices are as follows:
1. LSE (they don't look at LNAT essay apparently)
2. UCL
3. Durham
4. Nottingham (non-LNAT)
5. Warwick / Manchester / Bristol / Edinburgh

So the pros and cons I wrote down are:
Warwick
+A good university overall
+non-LNAT
-apparently law isn't among their best subjects
-small town

Manchester
+non-LNAT
+standard offer lower than all the others
-apparently not that good for law

Bristol
+a good university overall and apparently law is one of their particularly good subjects
-emphasis on LNAT essay

Edinburgh
+good overall
+law is well-regarded from what I have seen
+non-LNAT
+I really like the city
-only offers Scots law

I would appreciate any advice :smile:

Hiya

Those are all really good choices for law. Some factors you can consider are-

graduate employment prospects- connections with law firms/chambers, professors who are professional lawyers also?

assessment processes- how many assignments do you have to do each term and is it overwhelming for current students?

student experience- law societies, non-academic societies, extra-curriculars, opportunity for pro-bono if you're interested, attend an open day- do you see yourself living there for the next three years?

finances- any scholarships available, do some uni have lower fees if that's preferable for you?

Apart from this, I would suggest talking to current students at these unis and attending uni fairs/events that might give you an insight into student life. I am a 3rd year law student at Durham so can offer some perspective. I have had a really good experience studying law here- can't say it's perfect but don't reckon it'd be perfect in any other university either. The professors and tutors are really helpful and almost always willing to help you out with any doubts during their dedicated office hours. The law societies run a plethora of events- workshops with organisations like law firms, Avokka, and The Negotiation Club (to name a few), networking events (recent ones include Milbank, Eversheds, Hogan Lovells, Travers Smith, Clifford Chance), booting competitions, mentoring schemes, guest talks and lectures (a particularly interesting one was on space law!) etc. You get allotted an academic advisor you can approach if you feel lost or just want advice on something. With the collegiate system, you've got that additional layer of support in terms of welfare, finance, etc. It's rather easy to meet new people at college events and join college societies to mingle with people who share similar interests.

Hope that helps, let me know if I can answer any more questions :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Hi,
I am also an EU student with an offer from Edinburg LLB. As the tuition is extremely high, I am trying to find out the career & job prospects. Are the top law firms, both from Scotland and England, hiring from Edinburgh Law School? What salary can a graduate LLB expect to get?

Thanks!
Original post by Gkmoon007
Hi,
I am also an EU student with an offer from Edinburg LLB. As the tuition is extremely high, I am trying to find out the career & job prospects. Are the top law firms, both from Scotland and England, hiring from Edinburgh Law School? What salary can a graduate LLB expect to get?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about salaries but I found this research useful when considering career and job prospects by University for law - https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending