The Student Room Group

UCL The Bartlett DPU or KCL Department of International Development

Hi anyone, I am a Thai student who will study in the UK in 2023.

I have an offer at UCL (MSc Development Administration and Planning) and an offer at KCL (MSc Emerging Economies and International Development).

To elaborate a bit more, I am interested in development issues that are somewhat related to global political economy and multinational enterprises (MNEs), about which I roughly understand KCL's Department of International Development as a freshman department. At just 10 years old, it ranks 46th in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022 for Development Studies. By contrast, UCL's Bartlett Development Planning Unit, an old institution founded in 1954, is not ranked in this area, but famously, UCL is ranked 8th in the world, better than KCL, with KCL being ranked 37th, which makes it difficult for me to make a decision.

May I ask for your opinions and advice on which is better and how?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Toonlin

I have an offer at UCL (MSc Development Administration and Planning) and an offer at KCL (MSc Emerging Economies and International Development).

To elaborate a bit more, I am interested in development issues that are somewhat related to global political economy and multinational enterprises (MNEs), about which I roughly understand KCL's Department of International Development as a freshman department. At just 10 years old, it ranks 46th in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022 for Development Studies. By contrast, UCL's Bartlett Development Planning Unit, an old institution founded in 1954, is not ranked in this area, but famously, UCL is ranked 8th in the world, better than KCL, with KCL being ranked 37th, which makes it difficult for me to make a decision.

I’d go with King’s College London keeping in mind your interests and the fact that KCL is still a big globally renowned household name.

Have you made your decision yet and if so where?
Reply 2
Original post by Toonlin

Hey there! I’ll be doing MSc International Development & Emerging Economies from King’s College London starting in 2023.
Reply 3
Original post by smh97
Hey there! I’ll be doing MSc International Development & Emerging Economies from King’s College London starting in 2023.

Hi there! Sorry, I cannot reply to your private message. I made a decision to select King's College London, and that sounds good that you chose King's College too~~~
Reply 4
Original post by Toonlin
Hi there! Sorry, I cannot reply to your private message. I made a decision to select King's College London, and that sounds good that you chose King's College too~~~

Great to hear! We’ll be in the same course and degree then 👍🏻
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
@smh97 Could you send me your contact information (or social media account) in a private message?
Reply 6
Original post by Toonlin
@smh97 Could you send me your contact information (or social media account) in a private message?

my ig is @smhussain__

Syed Mohammad Hussain
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Toonlin

I can’t private message.

insta @smhussain__
I am a US student who uses the same GPA measure as Thailand. I think in the development-related field, KCL is harder to enter than UCL's the Bartlett because MSc programmes at KCL normally require a minimum GPA of 3.3 or 3.5 in the case of the War Studies department, while UCL’s require only a GPA of 3.0, such as an MSc in Urban Economic Development or Development Administration and Planning. It is interesting to note that the courses at UCL quite relate to urban planning and the environment, and in my view, UCL is insufficient to satisfy your interest. As far as I am aware, Bartlett is one of the faculties at UCL that is easier to get for international students in postgraduate study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending