The Student Room Group

English speaking exam

By selecting a topic from the list below, you not only maximise your chances of passing and excelling in this unit, but you will also enrich and embed your knowledge of the literature specification.

Write a speech on Romanticism and the sublime in art and literature
Should we consider Lady Macbeth as “the fourth witch?” Give a speech expressing your thoughts on this idea
Are human beings intrinsically evil? Give a speech with reference to Jekyll and Hyde.
Discuss how Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is presented in the Power and Conflict anthology, with links to mental health issues in wider society
Do you agree that Macbeth is a “tragic hero?” Give a speech expressing your thoughts on this idea

Can please someone help me with my English speaking I don’t know what to say the topic is like literature like the point above
Reply 1
Sorry just checking is this your English public speaking gcse?
Reply 2
What do you mean by that?
Reply 3
Before you do your English language I think it is you have to do about a 5 minutes speech and then answer a couple of questions on a topic. Is this what you’re doing?

What year are you in?
Reply 4
Original post by Teresa09
Before you do your English language I think it is you have to do about a 5 minutes speech and then answer a couple of questions on a topic. Is this what you’re doing?

What year are you in?

Yeah the speech it’s about 7-8 minutes and I’m in year 10
Reply 5
Have you been given a list of different things that you can do it on?
Reply 6

Yeah this is what my teacher sent
By selecting a topic from the list below, you not only maximise your chances of passing and excelling in this unit, but you will also enrich and embed your knowledge of the literature specification.

Write a speech on Romanticism and the sublime in art and literature
Should we consider Lady Macbeth as “the fourth witch?” Give a speech expressing your thoughts on this idea
Are human beings intrinsically evil? Give a speech with reference to Jekyll and Hyde.
Discuss how Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is presented in the Power and Conflict anthology, with links to mental health issues in wider society
Do you agree that Macbeth is a “tragic hero?” Give a speech expressing your thoughts on this idea
Reply 7

This is what I wrote for now

Good morning everyone,
Today, I want to discuss whether Macbeth qualifies as a "tragic hero." People have been curious about this issue for a very long time. Let's consider Macbeth's persona and narrative to see if he meets the criteria for a tragic hero.

A tragic hero is a protagonist who possesses positive traits yet commits a grave error that spells their doom. They frequently have a shift in luck, which turns out terribly for them. Let's see whether Macbeth meets this description now.

Macbeth is introduced in the play as a valiant warrior who is devoted to King Duncan. For his bravery in the battlefield, he is admired. However after hearing the witch prophecies he has a power-obsessed desire to rule and wants to become king.

As the play progresses, Macbeth transforms from an honourable and trustworthy person to an evil and repressive king. In order to maintain his position of authority, he allows his ambition to rule him. He murders Banquo, the Macduff family, and King Duncan. These deeds expose how low he has descended morally.

Despite his terrible actions, Macbeth still possesses human emotions. Shakespeare displays his inner conflicts and regretful times. Particularly in the infamous speech where he discusses the meaninglessness of life, we can perceive his remorse and suffering. Macbeth suffers as a result of his tragically self-destructive ambition.

Additionally, Macbeth's demise allows us to express our feelings, which is crucial in sad tales. While witnessing the play, we experience a variety of emotions: sympathy for his early troubles, horror at his terrible acts, and a feeling of justice as he meets a horrible end. It is clear that Macbeth is a tragic hero as a result of this emotional journey and the examination of significant topics like ambition, fate, and the corrupting influence of power.

In conclusion, it is obvious that Macbeth qualifies as a tragic hero. His redeeming traits, irreparable fault, and final demise make him a figure who has always struck a chord with viewers. The tale of Macbeth cautions us against uncontrolled ambition and serves as a reminder of how brittle human nature can be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending