The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

University of Liverpool Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Hey :smile: I've got a conditional offer for dentistry, and I've chosen prospect point as it's pretty close to the centre and I don't think I could get up early enough to wait for a bus :tongue: I wouldn't really suggest melville court, when I went to the accom open day it seemed really quite and secluded. Carnatic and Greenbank is where most 1st years go, and it is really studenty there, but you have to get the bus in to campus, and apparently at greenbank you may have to wait around 40mins for a bus. On campus, mulberry court and philharmonic seem pretty studenty, but they're quite old (creaky floorboard etc). Vine court looks like it will be quite good and full of first years, but it's £120-150 per week. I think the Uni are making Prospect point more a first year place, prospect point is ensuite, self catering and 5 mins from the main campus and town. Sorry for the long paragraph :tongue: x
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
for people with CONDITIONAL offers, is the accommodation first come first served?
because im hopfully be doing a health related course and i'd deffo prefer On-Campus room due to the fact i'll probably have classes/lectures almost everday 9-5.

thanks. :smile:
Reply 482
Original post by hello123450
for people with CONDITIONAL offers, is the accommodation first come first served?
because im hopfully be doing a health related course and i'd deffo prefer On-Campus room due to the fact i'll probably have classes/lectures almost everday 9-5.

thanks. :smile:

People with an unconditional offer will be given a room offer around May time so i was told.. if you're waiting on a-level results and stuff then accommodation gets allocated after results day :smile: I think most first years go for the offsite campus accommodation so you might stand a better chance if you chose one of the onsite ones :smile: xx
Reply 483
Original post by niksta
Hey :smile: I've got a conditional offer for dentistry, and I've chosen prospect point as it's pretty close to the centre and I don't think I could get up early enough to wait for a bus :tongue: I wouldn't really suggest melville court, when I went to the accom open day it seemed really quite and secluded. Carnatic and Greenbank is where most 1st years go, and it is really studenty there, but you have to get the bus in to campus, and apparently at greenbank you may have to wait around 40mins for a bus. On campus, mulberry court and philharmonic seem pretty studenty, but they're quite old (creaky floorboard etc). Vine court looks like it will be quite good and full of first years, but it's £120-150 per week. I think the Uni are making Prospect point more a first year place, prospect point is ensuite, self catering and 5 mins from the main campus and town. Sorry for the long paragraph :tongue: x

Thanks thats reallly helpful :smile: so you think prospect point would be the best? i couldnt get up early for a bus either :P lol is prospect point expensive?
Original post by zoeclarex
People with an unconditional offer will be given a room offer around May time so i was told.. if you're waiting on a-level results and stuff then accommodation gets allocated after results day :smile: I think most first years go for the offsite campus accommodation so you might stand a better chance if you chose one of the onsite ones :smile: xx

oh okays, thankyou! :smile:.. yeah on campus is what ive been looking at.. but now im have the annoying dilemma about not having the 'typical student life' by choosing on campus! (from what i've read) blaaaaaaah D:
Reply 485
Original post by hello123450
oh okays, thankyou! :smile:.. yeah on campus is what ive been looking at.. but now im have the annoying dilemma about not having the 'typical student life' by choosing on campus! (from what i've read) blaaaaaaah D:

tbh.. i think it'll be whatever you make it to be. you'll still be involved in freshers week wherever you live! and i'm sure you wont get stuck with 'boring' housemates if you chose onsite accommodation! just go with whatever you think you'd like most :smile: x

edit: i've just realised you said before you're doing a health course.. i'm going to be doing occupational therapy myself so i think i'll be in the same 9-5 situation with lectures and stuff! i decided that i prefered the off campus more because of the grounds it was in - dead nice greenary and space and things ahah. but i also looked at prospect point and liked that but thought the offsite would provide me with a bit of a 'break from the city' i guess.. x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 486

In my experience it's actually the on campus accomodation that goes first, lots on Gap Year, Unconditional and international students tend to opt for on campus as it's self-catering.

As said before, U/C offers get their accomodation in May, those who hold a Conditional Firm (and are successful) will get their accomodation within a couple of days of results day, those who hold Conditional Insurance (or whatever it's called these days) will get their offer the week after results, and then finally the Clearing students will get slotted in.

Don't worry, every student who wants one gets a room in some form of student accomodation, with the vast majority getting space in the University halls.

If you realy want accomodation close to campus, there's quite a few private student halls around as another option. You're likely to be put with other students from the Uni (unless you apply really late), and they're all Self Catered.
Reply 487
Original post by DMed
In my experience it's actually the on campus accomodation that goes first, lots on Gap Year, Unconditional and international students tend to opt for on campus as it's self-catering.

As said before, U/C offers get their accomodation in May, those who hold a Conditional Firm (and are successful) will get their accomodation within a couple of days of results day, those who hold Conditional Insurance (or whatever it's called these days) will get their offer the week after results, and then finally the Clearing students will get slotted in.

Don't worry, every student who wants one gets a room in some form of student accomodation, with the vast majority getting space in the University halls.

If you realy want accomodation close to campus, there's quite a few private student halls around as another option. You're likely to be put with other students from the Uni (unless you apply really late), and they're all Self Catered.

ahh i wasn't sure haha! i'll be a gapyear student but i've put derby&rathbone self-catered ensuite as 1st then just d&r then roscoe&gladstone for my 3rd cos i wanted to go offsite :') x
ahh i wasn't sure haha! i'll be a gapyear student but i've put derby&rathbone self-catered ensuite as 1st then just d&r then roscoe&gladstone for my 3rd cos i wanted to go offsite :') x

i've applied for d&r self catered as well, i have friends who lived there when they were in first year and so i've stayed there and although the halls are nothing special its got everything you need and the grounds are so nice!
Reply 489
Original post by harrieth93
i've applied for d&r self catered as well, i have friends who lived there when they were in first year and so i've stayed there and although the halls are nothing special its got everything you need and the grounds are so nice!

ooh yay :3 do you have an unconditional? i visited on the open day and really liked it. and i knoww! such pretty grounds x
ooh yay :3 do you have an unconditional? i visited on the open day and really liked it. and i knoww! such pretty grounds x

no i'm in year 13 now so got a conditional offer but hopefully (!) i'll get the grades! what are you studying? x
Reply 491
no i'm in year 13 now so got a conditional offer but hopefully (!) i'll get the grades! what are you studying? x

ohh cool, good luck with your gradees! i'm sure you'll be fine :h: andd occupational therapy! what about you? x
ohh cool, good luck with your gradees! i'm sure you'll be fine :h: andd occupational therapy! what about you? x

thank you! i'm gonna be doing combined honours english, politics & communication :smile: x
Reply 493
Original post by medigirl
Thanks thats reallly helpful :smile: so you think prospect point would be the best? i couldnt get up early for a bus either :P lol is prospect point expensive?

Maybe, cause medicine and dentistry lectures start at 9am, at least with prospect point you can roll out of bed and be there :tongue: it's not too bad £98 per week
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 494
yeah lectures are so early and frequent its practically like your still in school :/ i think i'm goning to apply for prospect point now it sounds good :biggrin:
Reply 495
thank you! i'm gonna be doing combined honours english, politics & communication :smile: x

ohh nice! i can't wait to start :^_^: x
Reply 496

Just out of interest, did you choose the 3 or 4 year course for your combined honours degree on Student Finance?
what do you guys think of Opal court? I saw they added that for first year students, but I think it's a hall where students from all Liverpool universities choose to stay. Also, a bunch of weird questions, where do people usually iron their clothes? I mean, do I have to bring my own iron? And if I were to live off campus, could I buy a bike and go to the university or is it really cold and rainy most of the time making it impossible to travel by bike?
Reply 498
Original post by franchesskah
what do you guys think of Opal court? I saw they added that for first year students, but I think it's a hall where students from all Liverpool universities choose to stay. Also, a bunch of weird questions, where do people usually iron their clothes? I mean, do I have to bring my own iron? And if I were to live off campus, could I buy a bike and go to the university or is it really cold and rainy most of the time making it impossible to travel by bike?

Opal Court is primarily a JMU halls (as are most of the private halls in the city), but I've always heard fairly good things about it.

In terms of ironing, you can do it in the kitchen or in your room depending on how sociable you want to be at the time, and you will need to bring your own iron and ironing board.

Cycling is definately a good option. In terms of the weather, it's the North West Coast, so the weather's not fantastic, but you'll probably be okay cycling most days. However, on campus storage may be difficult, as there wasn't a lot of storage space, and a lot of departments don't like you chaning your bike to the building. My advice would be to hold fire until you get to campus, as by then you'll know your timetable and you'll know if there's adequate storage. Plus if you're living in the likes of Opal Court, you'll be able to walk to Uni.

Hope that helps.
Original post by DMed
Opal Court is primarily a JMU halls (as are most of the private halls in the city), but I've always heard fairly good things about it.

In terms of ironing, you can do it in the kitchen or in your room depending on how sociable you want to be at the time, and you will need to bring your own iron and ironing board.

Cycling is definately a good option. In terms of the weather, it's the North West Coast, so the weather's not fantastic, but you'll probably be okay cycling most days. However, on campus storage may be difficult, as there wasn't a lot of storage space, and a lot of departments don't like you chaning your bike to the building. My advice would be to hold fire until you get to campus, as by then you'll know your timetable and you'll know if there's adequate storage. Plus if you're living in the likes of Opal Court, you'll be able to walk to Uni.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to choose Prospect Point, I really cba to take the bus everyday, although I still wonder how am I going to manage with cooking. I will probably end up living on milk and cereals as my main meal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending