The Student Room Group

I want to support a football team :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In a recession?
Reply 21
Original post by Cybele
If you don't have interest in football, don't bother. Don't be a half-arsed fan of team you've picked at random.

what's wrong with suqqorting a team half-arsedly?

And yeah, if you don't like footy there's not much qoint in suqqorting a team. Qersonally I don't suqqorst a football team.

QS- my q reversed doesn't work hence I use q.
Reply 22
Original post by Stratos
what's wrong with suqqorting a team half-arsedly?

What's the point? I don't suppose you'll get anything out of it. It would be like me picking a rugby team at random and deciding to 'support' them... I don't see the point.
Reply 23
Original post by pete.mcfc
That's fair enough, you're supporting your local team.
It's the ones living in Manchester supporting a team from Trafford that wind me up.

Why?
Reply 24
Original post by Cybele
Why?

I just think people should support a team they have a connection to. Like the team from their town, the team their parents support or most importantly a team that represents them and their community.
Personally I don't like it when people say "I support United because they're class" etc. They won't always be a top team (probably) so who will these people support then.
Well I live iin London..
The nearest teams to that are somwhat good
is 1.Tottenham
2.Arsaenal..it's just like few stops with train :/

The thing is i LIKE football..but i cant choose a team :/
I'm waitngfor barca vs Arsenal 2nd leg in nou camp :/
dunno it's harddddd
Reply 26
Original post by Menakshelatte
Well I live iin London..
The nearest teams to that are somwhat good
is 1.Tottenham
2.Arsaenal..it's just like few stops with train :/

The thing is i LIKE football..but i cant choose a team :/
I'm waitngfor barca vs Arsenal 2nd leg in nou camp :/
dunno it's harddddd

Support Arsenal, it's fun being Arsenal fan!
Reply 27
I just think people should support a team they have a connection to. Like the team from their town, the team their parents support or most importantly a team that represents them and their community.
Personally I don't like it when people say "I support United because they're class" etc. They won't always be a top team (probably) so who will these people support then.

What about foreign fans? They don't technically have a physical connection to their team but there are still strong Man United/Man City/Liverpool etc supporters clubs in different countries. Do they irritate you as well?
Reply 28
Original post by Cybele
What about foreign fans? They don't technically have a physical connection to their team but there are still strong Man United/Man City/Liverpool etc supporters clubs in different countries. Do they irritate you as well?

That's different because these people won't have a local team.
What would irritate me though is when people 'support' a team for the sole reason that "they're good".
If you want to watch the most entertaining football in England there is one place to go :

AFC
Gooners
Gunners
Arsenal

(L)
Just support Newcastle United. Easy.
Reply 31
Original post by Menakshelatte
My mum&Dads divorced so i didnt have the chance of supporting what my dad supports but yh anyway what makes you support a football team?
why do you support the team you support?
recently it's become important for me,and i feel like something's missing in my life..
so yh..
people around me generally support either
Tottenham,arsenal,man u,chelsea:s-smilie:

Whatever team is your local team and you can go to a lot of matches. If you don't go to matches, there's not much point.
Bristol Rovers.
Reply 33
Please read the article below. It was written when MCFC were in the **** basically. Gives and insight in to what it's actually like supporing a team. It's not an easy ride. I hope all football fans can relate to it.

CITY OF LOST SOULS

To support Manchester City is to believe that God might have trouble running things on this planet, but he's in control of the next world. He has to be. The Devil rules this world and always will, because his team are Manchester United, and they are world famous and monolithic.

Manchester City, who's name travels the world about as well as Gracie Fields or Pulp, are on the side of the angels; the poor, sapped, unfortunate angels who still believe in quaint antiquated notions of earthly good. To support Manchester City is to accept with heroic willingness the dead-flat that the universe is cold and hostile, and nothing good will become of it. To support City is to tackle head on the crushing pointlessness of existence and to attempt to make something of it. It is hard work. So why do it? Because somehow this seems ultimately more dignified and fulfilling than taking the easy way out and supporting the lulling and obnoxious United.

To support United is too easy. It's convenience supporting. It makes life too easy. There is no challenge. It is a cowardly form of escapism, a sell-out to the forces of evil. United fans have no soul and will spend their eternity neck deep in boiling vomit. City fans retain their soul and will spend their eternity forever reliving the moment their team beat Newcastle 4-3 away from home to win the League Championship in 1968, beating United into second place. Surely we will have such eternal bliss again, for why do we spend so much time suffering in this life watching our team climb to the summit only so that we can watch them dive, dive, dive to their pitiless bottom of the heap while United, of Manchester, but nothing really to do with it, float every more triumphantly skywards?

Heartless United are the incarnation of shamelessness and to support them is heroism in a can. Cavalier City, however awry their football, however dire their straits, glow with something mystical and transcendental. City have soul. United do not.

When they are great again, City will have shown that they are worth their extraordinary fans. To this day these fans will walk a million miles for one of Joe Mercer's smiles. They'll sing a million songs waiting for some new Mercer-like magic. Because they are City, and Christ do they know they're born.

Paul Morley
November 1998
Reply 34
Man Utd! :biggrin:
Reply 35
Please read the article below. It was written when MCFC were in the **** basically. Gives and insight in to what it's actually like supporing a team. It's not an easy ride. I hope all football fans can relate to it.

CITY OF LOST SOULS

To support Manchester City is to believe that God might have trouble running things on this planet, but he's in control of the next world. He has to be. The Devil rules this world and always will, because his team are Manchester United, and they are world famous and monolithic.

Manchester City, who's name travels the world about as well as Gracie Fields or Pulp, are on the side of the angels; the poor, sapped, unfortunate angels who still believe in quaint antiquated notions of earthly good. To support Manchester City is to accept with heroic willingness the dead-flat that the universe is cold and hostile, and nothing good will become of it. To support City is to tackle head on the crushing pointlessness of existence and to attempt to make something of it. It is hard work. So why do it? Because somehow this seems ultimately more dignified and fulfilling than taking the easy way out and supporting the lulling and obnoxious United.

To support United is too easy. It's convenience supporting. It makes life too easy. There is no challenge. It is a cowardly form of escapism, a sell-out to the forces of evil. United fans have no soul and will spend their eternity neck deep in boiling vomit. City fans retain their soul and will spend their eternity forever reliving the moment their team beat Newcastle 4-3 away from home to win the League Championship in 1968, beating United into second place. Surely we will have such eternal bliss again, for why do we spend so much time suffering in this life watching our team climb to the summit only so that we can watch them dive, dive, dive to their pitiless bottom of the heap while United, of Manchester, but nothing really to do with it, float every more triumphantly skywards?

Heartless United are the incarnation of shamelessness and to support them is heroism in a can. Cavalier City, however awry their football, however dire their straits, glow with something mystical and transcendental. City have soul. United do not.

When they are great again, City will have shown that they are worth their extraordinary fans. To this day these fans will walk a million miles for one of Joe Mercer's smiles. They'll sing a million songs waiting for some new Mercer-like magic. Because they are City, and Christ do they know they're born.

Paul Morley
November 1998

That is one of the corniest things I've ever read. :lol: It's very melodramatic, no?

"United fans have no soul...", good lord. :indiff:
Not much point supporting anyone if you dont have a passion for the game. It has to be your local team though if you do!

If youre not sure just watch football as a 'neutral fan', then you dont have to stress when your teams doing badly (or put up with the abuse :wink:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Faith01
Support Arsenal, it's fun being Arsenal fan!

You get to see them knocked out of every competition and fall out of the running for the league every April!
Reply 38
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
You get to see them knocked out of every competition and fall out of the running for the league every April!

Hmmm..we'll see this year.
:arsenal:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending