The Student Room Group

Please help?!

Hi, I'm Rebecca.
I would like to be a vet but don't know where to start, or which university to go to
PLEASE HELP
xxx Becci Pullin xxx
Reply 1
I'll direct you to the stickies and articles. They will answer virtually every question you can think of.
Reply 2
What stage of education are you at?
Reply 3
Original post by Becci Pullin
Hi, I'm Rebecca.
I would like to be a vet but don't know where to start, or which university to go to
PLEASE HELP
xxx Becci Pullin xxx

What do you mean exactly?
Do you need help on A level choices? Go for sciences/maths.
Which university depends on your predicted grades but there are only 7 uk unis that offer vetinary science so it is very competitive. Look at the wiki for more help.
Reply 4
Well, I'm just generally confused. As I know what I want to do.
I'm confused in the sense that I don't know what subjects I should do to prepare my self. I have to choose my options, for gcse's fairly soon.
Bristol university seems a fairly good choice as it's one of the best and is fairly close.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Ok for GCSE it doesn't matter that much as long as you do Maths, English Lang, English Lit and preferably triple science, if you can only take double that's fine but you may need to take physics at AS level in order to qualify for admittance to some universities. Choose whatever you enjoy doing and will work hard in for your choice subjects.

There's only 7 UK vet schools at the moment and this is probably fairly unlikely to change dramatically by the time you get to applying. It's nice to have an idea of where you'd like to apply at the moment but all the universities look for slightly different things and you get to apply to 4 when you apply to uni and can't necessarily guarantee you'll get into the one you want to. But take the time between now and when you apply to look around the different vet schools as that may sway your opinion. When you say that Bristol seems one of the best all of the vet schools are amazing and I don't think that currently on any subject tables Bristol is top - not that that matters - but just to warn you that it's not just about how the university as a whole does in league tables, more how you feel about the actual vet school.

Importantly get LOADS of work experience. You will need some to get into any vet school and the more you do the more you will learn about the various lines of work a vet may go into, not to mention loads about the animal world - and of course the more you have, the more committed you look on your UCAS application. Core work experience should include small and large animal veterinary practices, dairy farm, kennels/cattery, stables and then anthing else you can add that will make you stand out.

Look at the sticky threads, especially the work experience bible on this forum and the 'applying for 2012 entry' thread to hear how other people are getting on in their applications.

Hope that's helpful :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks Stef, I have a much better idea now.
You don't know how much it's helped me.
Once again thank you.
Reply 7
Original post by Becci Pullin
Thanks Stef, I have a much better idea now.
You don't know how much it's helped me.
Once again thank you.

You're welcome and good luck again for everything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending