Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    That's not old! :zomg: The earliest (TV) anime I've watched would be Jungle Taitei/Kimba the White Lion, 1965-1966. :giggle: Which is the first colour anime, hence why I thought it was worth a look. I haven't watched much else from the 60s or early 70s, if only because a lot of it isn't subbed, but I love most 80s and 90s animation/manga styles.

On Rave Master... well, it is Hiro Mashima's earlier (and I believe his first) work, so it's no surprise he'd have learned from his mistakes and made improvements for Fairy Tail. I though the manga was fun, if nothing special, but I've heard the anime ends abruptly. :s: Can't give much advice besides suggesting you stop watching it if/when it stops being entertaining. :dontknow:
    You mentioned a shop earlier about you picking up a manga, which shop was it?
    Does it sell anime too?

ReputationRep:
    Just finished reading the manga where Fairy Tail meets Rave Master - One of the funniest manga chapters I have ever read! XD
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    You mentioned a shop earlier about you picking up a manga, which shop was it?
    Does it sell anime too?
    Ah yes, I saw your earlier post asking about shops just as I was about to leave for work and meant to reply, but forgot about it.

Forbidden Planet mostly focus on comics/manga, but the ones I've been to (Birmingham and Bristol - I didn't stop to look in Wolverhampton, I just went straight for the manga :p:) also had fairly decent anime selections. As good if not slightly better than what you'd find at your average HMV or CEX, at least. :yes: Here's a link to their store list.

[EDIT] And another link to another store list. Don't know whether 'Forbidden Planet' and 'Forbidden Planet International' are two seperate companies, but they sell similar stuff either way. :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    Am so watching this next month! XD

Who knows, maybe 3 plues.

1 from Rave Master
    2 From Fairy Tail
    Gemini transforms into 3. XD

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, I saw your earlier post asking about shops just as I was about to leave for work and meant to reply, but forgot about it.

Forbidden Planet mostly focus on comics/manga, but the ones I've been to (Birmingham and Bristol - I didn't stop to look in Wolverhampton, I just went straight for the manga :p:) also had fairly decent anime selections. As good if not slightly better than what you'd find at your average HMV or CEX, at least. :yes: Here's a link to their store list.
    I can assure you, you will be lucky to see like 4-5 anime DVDs in my local CEX shop, I can also assure you they are NOT flying off the shelves...

I was so happy when I saw a complete DVD set of Death Note in there I bought it before anyone else had a chance...

ReputationRep:
    I epic fail for that store you mention...

Name:  Epic Fail....PNG
Views: 55
Size:  24.2 KB
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I epic fail for that store you mention...

Name:  Epic Fail....PNG
Views: 55
Size:  24.2 KB
    Did you see the second link that I edited in? Here it is again if you missed it.

http://forbiddenplanet.com/stores/

Like I said, haven't a clue what the difference between 'Forbidden Planet' and 'Forbidden Planet International' is, but maybe one of these stores might be a bit closer? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    My CEX has a decent range, considered picking totally random anime dvds up for cheap and watching them Ideally a first season though which is harder.

ReputationRep:
    Did you see the second link that I edited in? Here it is again if you missed it.

Like I said, haven't a clue what the difference between 'Forbidden Planet' and 'Forbidden Planet International' is, but maybe one of these stores might be a bit closer? :dontknow:
    Makes it a little easier but I HATE TRAINS, I ALWAYS get lost! DX
    At least I don't have to change trains, literally a single bus and then a single train. So, 2 buses and 2 trains in total, although, journey time = little under 3 hours there and back...

I hope it's worth it the one in London.

ReputationRep:
    Makes it a little easier but I HATE TRAINS, I ALWAYS get lost! DX
    At least I don't have to change trains, literally a single bus and then a single train. So, 2 buses and 2 trains in total, although, journey time = little under 3 hours there and back...

I hope it's worth it the one in London.
    I live in London, so I've only been to the London one and can't compare to others --- but even so, I think it's a pretty cool place. It's 2 floors the first floor is dedicated to Action Figures and merchandise such as t-shirts, mugs, posters, toys. It has everything from The Big Bang Theory to Star Wars. But downstairs, is where the magic happens - this floor is dedicated entirely to comics - both Western and Japanese and also anime. They also have those Shounen Jump/Shojo Beat magazines with like 10 chapters of different manga. Next to Forbidden Planet you have Trocadero, an arcade with a Tokyo Toys shop so that's always nice to check out I'm going FP myself on Tuesday and I'll be dragging a friend - he's not into anime but he likes superheroes so he'll be checking out the action figures with me

ReputationRep:
    Hope this is the right thread and not the other one! Many moons ago I used to love anime however for many years now I've been really out of touch with it and haven't watched any, been trying to get back into it and was hoping for some recommendations anything post 2005 really as that's when I largely stopped watching it

Used to love ones like Serial Experiements Lain, Hellsing, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Outlaw Star, etc.

Decided to give anime a go again after stumbling across some vids of Attack on Titan and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood whilst browsing youtube. I've done some quick searching and picked out Ergo Proxy, Darker than Black, Psycho-Pass and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom as some other ones to add to my list but I'm sure there must be more I generally like most things horror, sci-fi, fantasy and action related, don't particularly like anything that's too overly cutesy or heavily reliant on the comedy side of things.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Hope this is the right thread and not the other one! Many moons ago I used to love anime however for many years now I've been really out of touch with it and haven't watched any, been trying to get back into it and was hoping for some recommendations anything post 2005 really as that's when I largely stopped watching it

Used to love ones like Serial Experiements Lain, Hellsing, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Outlaw Star, etc.

Decided to give anime a go again after stumbling across some vids of Attack on Titan and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood whilst browsing youtube. I've done some quick searching and picked out Ergo Proxy, Darker than Black, Psycho-Pass and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom as some other ones to add to my list but I'm sure there must be more I generally like most things horror, sci-fi, fantasy and action related, don't particularly like anything that's too overly cutesy or heavily reliant on the comedy side of things.
    Your quick search has brought up some good results, the shows you've listed are certainly among the best action series of recent years. :yes: Here's a few more I'd suggest - sorry if the list is a bit big, but 8 years out of the loop means you've missed out on a lot. :p:

2006:
    Black Lagoon - Code Geass - Death Note - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Noein

2007:
    Baccano! - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Claymore - Zombie-Loan - Sword of the Stranger

2008:
    Ga-Rei Zero - Kaiba - Kurenai - Shigofumi - Macross Frontier

2009:
    Kemono no Souja Erin - Sengoku Basara - Guin Saga - Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - Aoi Bungaku

2010:
    Shiki - Durarara!! - House of Five Leaves - Rainbow - Katanagatari

2011:
    Steins;Gate - Fate/Zero - Mirai Nikki - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Un-Go

2012:
    Shin Sekai Yori - Zetsuen no Tempest - Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - Jormungand - Robotics;Notes

2013 (bear in mind some are still airing):
    Kakumeiki Valvrave - Suisei no Gargantia - Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi - Danganronpa - Gatchaman Crowds

...those are just some of the ones I'd consider highlights. :giggle:

ReputationRep:

Holla! -waves-

Certainly some good stuff there and Angryjellyfish gave some great ones. IMHO you should check out Planetes which is my personal favourite sci-fi anime and if you try Higurashi no Naku Koro ni then 'Another' is worth a watch as well.

Other recs (I'm probably going to kick myself for missing a bunch but oh well):
    Hell Girl (Horror/Action)
    Paranoia Agent (Horror)
    Revolutionary Girl Utena (not as cutesy as it first appears, honest!)
    Eden of the East (Sci-fi elements)
    Texhnolyze (Only if you like your anime void of happy feels)
    Mushishi (Sort of horror-y)
    Gankutsuou (sci-fi/awesome version of Counte of Monte Cristo)
    Gyo (Lovecraft-esque horror film)
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes (bit old but it's brilliant sci-fi)
    Cat Soup (for when you no longer want your sanity)
    Monster (psychological thriller)
    Time of Eve (sci-fi)
    Pale Cacoon (dystopian future oneshot)
    Le Portrait de Petit Cossette (supernatural horror)
    Voices of a Distant Star (sci-fi one shot)
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Last Exile (Sci-fi/Steampunk)
    Gunslinger Girl (Action)
    Blood+ (Horror/Action)
    Elfen Lied (Just creepy as hell)
    Michiko to Hatchin (action)
    Demon Prince Emna (horror short series)

ReputationRep:

I've been to both. The only difference is they give you vouchers in "Forbidden Planet" that you can't use in "Forbidden Planet International"

ReputationRep:
    X
    Tell us, are you sub or dub? *Choose carefully*
    Although, if you like action, I would recommend Blue Exorcist/Ao No Exorcist
    Or even Sword Art Online =P

ReputationRep:
    DBZ is the only anime where i prefer dubs over subs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    DBZ is the only anime where i prefer dubs over subs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's because Goku sounds like a woman in sub...
    Then again, he is voiced by a woman and I don't like it when women are VA to guys, it just doesn't work, it sounds, well, Goku...

ReputationRep:
    Guys, does anyone know where I can find high quality anime downloads without the excessive data requirements?
    I have downloaded the first 48 episodes of Fairy Tail (although, quality is right up there, 1080p) and it takes up 39.9 GB of data...

ReputationRep:
    What anime are people watching from the current quarter? Personally i am a fan of Ginga Kikoutai MJP (my favourite over last two quarters), Shingeki no Kyojin, Highschool DxD New, Dangan Ronpa: The Animation, Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, TWGOK3 and SxS
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by JamesR1993)
    What anime are people watching from the current quarter? Personally i am a fan of Ginga Kikoutai MJP (my favourite over last two quarters), Shingeki no Kyojin, Highschool DxD New, Dangan Ronpa: The Animation, Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, TWGOK3 and SxS
    New this season:

Genshiken Nidaime (my favourite by far)

Danganronpa (obligatory survival game)

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G (the ultimate guilty pleasure)

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi (mysterious and intriguing)

Gatchaman Crowds (certainly has style)

Free! (basically K-On! with guys, but at least they take their club activities seriously)

Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou (it's trying so hard to be the new Madoka Magica...)

Gin no Saji (educational and entertaining)

Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu (light-hearted action)

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen (hurry up and start already!)

Love Lab (my body is lingerie)

Uchouten Kazoku (nice animation, character designs... traps...)

Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku (...this is actually pretty bad)

Blood Lad (...this is worse)

Continuing from earlier seasons:

Hunter x Hunter (epic)

Shingeki no Kyojin (EPIC)

Uchuu Kyoudai (great storytelling and character development)

Mushibugyou (current arc isn't off to a great start, but the show has its moments)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.