Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    So I decided to go through some of the backlog of anime DVDs that I have collected over the years, but have neglected to watch. Baccano! is my first one. Got it for Christmas in 2010 and only watched the first disc.

So I rewatched the first disc. I am watching it in dub because even though some of the voices might be a bit too high or... unemotional, it is set in America and is using some of the early 20th century slang such as dollface, so for me it is the most correct version to watch.

I love Isaac and Miria. They are both eccentric and just crack me up every time I see them on screen. They are the most light-hearted characters from what I have seen thus far. Also a shout out to Ladd Russo. He is a inherent psychopath and is actually quite frightening. Something about him being jolly and happy around death and suffering. But I just can't wait to see more of him.

Everyone else, I need a bit of more exposure, but they are all a decent cast so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I have to admit, the only Toriyama manga I've read is Dr. Slump (might as well start with his debut serialization, I thought!), which I finished earlier this year. It was amusing enough. :yes: I tend to stick to series that are licensed and printed in English, so probably won't get around to his new series (Ginga Patrol Jako) unless Viz or someone else pick it up. I'd been thinking about buying Cowa! and/or Sand Land at some point though, if only because they're short, single volume series. Guessing you'd recommend the former? Any thoughts on the latter?
    Oh I'm subscribed to weekly shonen jump on the iPad (it's international now!) and Jako is published in English. It's only £.69 an issue or £1.99 a month. They seem to have most of the shonens in English same week as Japan.

I'd defiantly give Cowa! a shot. Probably my most favourite short manga. Sand land is also very good. Both are comedy/action but sand land has a darker theme (loss of water, droughts). Both have an epic adventure and are very similar (start reading them both from the start and you'll se the similarities)

I tend to get a good supply of manga from my local library.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GalaxygunnerX)
    Oh I'm subscribed to weekly shonen jump on the iPad (it's international now!) and Jako is published in English. It's only £.69 an issue or £1.99 a month. They seem to have most of the shonens in English same week as Japan.

I'd defiantly give Cowa! a shot. Probably my most favourite short manga. Sand land is also very good. Both are comedy/action but sand land has a darker theme (loss of water, droughts). Both have an epic adventure and are very similar (start reading them both from the start and you'll se the similarities)

I tend to get a good supply of manga from my local library.
    Quick clarification.. these prices are of the shonen jump magazine within which you will find the chapters of Jako, which is in English. It's a VIZ media publication so I'd expect the first volume of Jako to be released here by the end of the year or early 2014. I don't think it's a must read yet so getting subscribed to the mag if you don't really want the other manga chapters inside may not be worth it..

For anyone else interested in Jako, I can do a review of it when it reaches around 3-4 chapters to tell you if its worth getting/reading or not... By the looks of it, it is probably going to get an anime by early 2014 as well.

ReputationRep:
    Danganronpa ep 5, Im annoyed because I had somehow guessed everything before they did so I didnt get to be surised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ammish)
    So I rewatched the first disc. I am watching it in dub because even though some of the voices might be a bit too high or... unemotional, it is set in America and is using some of the early 20th century slang such as dollface, so for me it is the most correct version to watch.
    Yeah same, although I ended up going sub at the end as I wanted to watch it on the PS3 and for a weird reason Funimation only put a couple of dubbed episodes online :K:

I love Isaac and Miria. They are both eccentric and just crack me up every time I see them on screen. They are the most light-hearted characters from what I have seen thus far. Also a shout out to Ladd Russo. He is a inherent psychopath and is actually quite frightening. Something about him being jolly and happy around death and suffering. But I just can't wait to see more of him.

Everyone else, I need a bit of more exposure, but they are all a decent cast so far.
    Isaac and Miria FTW <3 I could like them just based on their 'Next Time' voice overs alone. Their role in the last thrust of the plot is also just wonderful, if you like them now then they only get better :yep:

Personally Maiza becomes my favourite character especially once you get his backstory followed by Rachel and her clothes that better suit a Rambo film :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    To all fans of anime, Mang and mecha, watch Gundam. Youtube channel is GundamInfo, It's really something to get into.I know it because I already Have about 30 Gundam mobile suits in my house.http://www.youtube.com/user/GundamInfo

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if my NUS student card will work at Forbidden Planet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    Isaac and Miria FTW <3 I could like them just based on their 'Next Time' voice overs alone. Their role in the last thrust of the plot is also just wonderful, if you like them now then they only get better :yep:
    "It's like... we haven't aged at all" (Isaac and Mira ~2001)

I definitely agree with you on Maiza becoming one of the best characters. Though for me, Nice and Jacuzzi are nearly at the top alongside Isaac and Miria. I don't know, but I think it's the chemistry between them that makes them all so appealing.

Ladd Ruso was awesome, but I also started to like Claire because he has that good mixture of psychopath and humanity in him. Watched all of the episodes, included the specials that were in my Baccano! boxset. The specials were pretty good and it tied up more loose ends (such as the engagement between Claire and Chane), but I preferred the 13 episode anime.

Took me a while to adjust to the events and figure out which is in chronological order. But the light novel is still on-going and the story still goes on into 2001, so I want to see a sequel to Baccano! All in all, I love it and I feel ashamed for leaving it since 2010.

Now to watch my other backlog, Texhnolyze... or I may jump onto Durarara!

ReputationRep:
    #Does anyone know any good Anime games?
    and had anyone here ever played Audition EU before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    and had anyone here ever played Audition EU before?
    What gaming platform are you looking for? Most anime games will be fighting, the rest are RPG/adventure games...

If its the PS3/XBox then I'd give naruto ninja storm series a try. (Fighting, awesome)
    Nearly all of the dragonball z games are awesome on every platform (fighting again)
    One piece unlimited cruise (adventure/fighting on wii/DS/3DS/2DS)
    There's a one piece game on the Xbox live store whose name I don't recall but is pretty good (fighting/adventure)
    Naruto ninja council series is pretty good on the DS
    Some bleach games are good but if you're looking for fighting games I'd recommend naruto or dragonball z
    Dragonball origins 1 and 2 were really good on the DS (action/adventure with shortened versions of every dragonball episode in cutscenes )

Those are are the good games I'd recommend... If there's a specific anime that you'd like a game for give google a try and see if they have something good for it.

Hmm... Audition eu is defo not my type of game... Are you looking for games on PC? Or browser ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GalaxygunnerX)
    What gaming platform are you looking for? Most anime games will be fighting, the rest are RPG/adventure games...

If its the PS3/XBox then I'd give naruto ninja storm series a try. (Fighting, awesome)
    Nearly all of the dragonball z games are awesome on every platform (fighting again)
    One piece unlimited cruise (adventure/fighting on wii/DS/3DS/2DS)
    There's a one piece game on the Xbox live store whose name I don't recall but is pretty good (fighting/adventure)
    Naruto ninja council series is pretty good on the DS
    Some bleach games are good but if you're looking for fighting games I'd recommend naruto or dragonball z
    Dragonball origins 1 and 2 were really good on the DS (action/adventure with shortened versions of every dragonball episode in cutscenes )

Those are are the good games I'd recommend... If there's a specific anime that you'd like a game for give google a try and see if they have something good for it.

Hmm... Audition eu is defo not my type of game... Are you looking for games on PC? Or browser ones?
    Games on PC and browsers ones. More like adventure and Actions. Similar to legend of goku on GBA
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    The only games based on anime series I've played have been doujin games for the PC - Higurashi Daybreak and Rozen Maiden ALiBAT stuck out as my favourites, though Fatal Fake and Haruran 2 (can't find much info on the latter) were good too. Must have gotten those during my 1st or 2nd years of undergrad, around 2007-8 *feels nostalgic* I've not really looked into doujin games since then, aside from the browser-based Attack on Titan game I posted a video about a while back, but there's probably a whole load out there. :yes:

As for anime-style games that aren't based on any series, Carpe Fulgur have released three good ones in English (Recettear is probably one of my favourite PC games ever, and I should probably get around to finishing the other two). The only other one I've played is Cherry Tree High Comedy Club... which I wouldn't recommend highly. Too easy, and the 'localization' is painful - the game is obviously set in Japan, but the translation insists otherwise, and comes up with cringeworthy excuses for (or simply ignores) things like the cherry blossoms, shinto shrines and kimono. :s:

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone's top anime opening?
    I don't mean just the song, I mean how well it fits the opening in general as in how it fits with the scenes while the song is in progress. =l

Mine below;

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    I don't mean just the song, I mean how well it fits the opening in general as in how it fits with the scenes while the song is in progress. =l

Mine below;

Spoiler:
    Show
    Haruka Kanata for Naruto Chunin Exam Opening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Mine below;

Spoiler:
    Show
    Not sure whether it's my favourite, but certainly the first one that springs to mind is the Maria Holic OP. A fantastic animation sequence, and the music fits it perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    The first two and the 5th from here!
    As if the sig didn't give it away before you even saw the video

ReputationRep:
    I am not biased at all :p:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I just realised another opening that goes perfectly with it's animation. =P

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Also, Yuuki, damn it, I don't know why but I love your avatar's animation! :^_^:
    I tried when I joined TSR to get Tails (Miles Prower) winking but I then found out I couldn't add animated avatars (or any avatars) to TSR unless I subscribed. =(

I REALLY needed to get that off my chest! XD
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Also, Yuuki, damn it, I don't know why but I love your avatar's animation! :^_^:
    I tried when I joined TSR to get Tails (Miles Prower) winking but I then found out I couldn't add animated avatars (or any avatars) to TSR unless I subscribed. =(

I REALLY needed to get that off my chest! XD
    You can *technically* change your avatar as a non-subscriber here, though the limits are very low (50 x 50 pixels, 25 KB). In fact, TSR even has pre-uploaded anime avatars available, though they're pretty bad (IMO), and all from older series (nothing newer than 2002/03, I'd guess, which is probably the last time they were updated). :p: I think the only ones I've ever seen anyone use are Kakashi from Naruto and Mizuho from Onegai Teacher!

So yeah, you might be better off finding your own. :giggle:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.