The Student Room Group

How do I go about buying my own island?

Scroll to see replies

Private Islands with mansions on them can be found on some luxury real estate websites. From what I've noticed, the cost range is between 10 and 60 million.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by failingatm
:console: You'll get an island, but not Lewroll.

Thank you so much! I really needed that! :biggrin::biggrin: I'm trying to find ways in which I can win the title 'Queen of the World'. Hmmmm
Original post by Lewroll
Do you think we should be a dictatorship or a democracy? You can be second in command of the Royal Army of Lewland.

Dictatorship, of course. And just a second? I feel honoured, sir, but I have higher aspirations! ;D

Original post by no-fat-chicks
You can buy an island but cannot claim it as your own country because it will be under certain laws depending on where it is. I was actually thinking of buying an island the other day :P

If you did claim it as your own country then you will probably get invaded and end up losing the land anyway.

This is what The Royal Army is for :biggrin:
Original post by Ree-Ree-Real:p
Yup. Decided:biggrin: The climate has to be good. :wink:

No. My mum thinks I'm a child, because she's old enough to say so. You're ONLY three years older than me. No big deal.

....Silence.....OK, then. I hope you're not like that in real life. :wink:

Ideally we will be close to the equator. I want somewhere with a beautiful climate so that we could grow tropical fruits and attract more tourists.
Original post by Lewroll
Ideally we will be close to the equator. I want somewhere with a beautiful climate so that we could grow tropical fruits and attract more tourists.

Yup. Definitely. Already thinking about benefiting our economy. Very good, I like. :biggrin:
Original post by viksta1000
my dad bought a part of The World Islands in Dubai (back when they were cheap), which technically is an island

Really? How much did it cost? Have you visited it?
Original post by abracadabra.
Dictatorship, of course. And just a second? I feel honoured, sir, but I have higher aspirations! ;D

Dictatorships can work. Our motto can be 'if you dont like it here, you can GTFO' (someone translate that into latin for me please). But we wont be part of the UN, so those nosy countries like England and USA may try to get involved in our affairs.
Reply 87
Ooh, I'm in! Send me the questionnaire :biggrin:
I have no defence-of-a-country skill though. I'll..uh..plant the fruit trees?
Original post by ussumane
I already have an Island. I called it Africa.

Left it in a bad state though :erm:

Yeah, you didn't do a great job there, didya? I will not fail, I have ambition.
Come to Australia. There's an island for sale at the moment. Although I think it would be rather lonely there, and it probably doesn't have palm trees: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/louth-island-for-sale-at-3m/story-e6frea83-1225808413768

Or, if you're ok with just having your own country, you can come to Australia too! http://www.hutt-river-province.com/ The Hutt River Provence is a country within Australia, with its own Royal Family and passport stamp. The King had a dispute with the government or something in the 70s and somehow made his own country.

Hope that helps!:_)
Original post by Lewroll
Dictatorships can work. Our motto can be 'if you dont like it here, you can GTFO' (someone translate that into latin for me please). But we wont be part of the UN, so those nosy countries like England and USA may try to get involved in our affairs.

Si non placet hic, vos can GTFO!

(Google Translate used, so it's liable to be wrong)
Original post by Lewroll
Really? How much did it cost? Have you visited it?

back in the day (2001) we paid 32m Dirhams (£4.5m), since then its been under construction, meanwhile we visited Dubai once or twice a year but didn't get the chance to see the progress everytime simply due to the hassle of commuting to the island, but we went to see it in April last year when it was finally completed, was quite exciting tbh, but the wait during construction was intense!
Original post by Etoiliege
Ooh, I'm in! Send me the questionnaire :biggrin:
I have no defence-of-a-country skill though. I'll..uh..plant the fruit trees?

Once I purchase an island, I will notify you. I estimate it will cost you £100,000 to move to the island. Obviously you will then be paying taxes etc.

Original post by galadriel100
Come to Australia. There's an island for sale at the moment. Although I think it would be rather lonely there, and it probably doesn't have palm trees: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/louth-island-for-sale-at-3m/story-e6frea83-1225808413768

Or, if you're ok with just having your own country, you can come to Australia too! http://www.hutt-river-province.com/ The Hutt River Provence is a country within Australia, with its own Royal Family and passport stamp. The King had a dispute with the government or something in the 70s and somehow made his own country.

Hope that helps!:_)

That does help, however I don't want to move all the way to the Australia area.

Original post by History-Student

Thank you. You can be Education Minister.

Our national language will be English of course. However Spanish will be also be spoken on the island. Hopefully eventually a pidgin will develop, and perhaps in 1000 years we will have our own unique language.
Original post by History-Student

That means:

If you do not like this, you ... (can is not a Latin word) GTFO!

Even if the words were right, it's still sloppy. Put the verb (with the adverb) at the end of the clause.
Reply 94
Original post by Lewroll

Original post by Lewroll
Anyone can live on Lewland

To apply- I will send you a questionnaire

If you pass the questionnaire stage you will then be given an interview

If you pass the interview, my agents will then secretly follow you and your family around for 6 months, to make surre you are suitable

If you pass this stage, you will be able to move to Lewland

I will be King.

Erm...

I would like an application.

This island sounds rather intriguing :holmes:
Original post by toblerone93
That means:

If you do not like this, you ... (can is not a Latin word) GTFO!

Even if the words were right, it's still sloppy. Put the verb (with the adverb) at the end of the clause.

As I said: Google Translate was used. Can being in there is their way of stopping people from copy/pasting whole essays into it for school (2 people in my class failed French GCSE for trying to use Google to cheat).
This whole thread just reminded me of this cracked article: http://www.cracked.com/article_15821_fun-size-countries-insane-histories-worlds-6-tiniest-nations.html

I'd truly love to see a TSRian on that list one day... :biggrin:
Reply 97
I am a member of a body of assassins trained in regicide. Be careful.
Reply 98
Original post by Lewroll
Once I purchase an island, I will notify you. I estimate it will cost you £100,000 to move to the island. Obviously you will then be paying taxes etc.

£100,000? I'll buy my own for £30,000. You lost a citizen already. Your island may not last long..
Original post by Lewroll

I doubt it. Once they see our Army, they won't dare to run afoul of the L.. Kingdom.

And yes, we won't be part of anything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending