The Student Room Group

AQA Power and Conflict poems to compare to eachother

Does anyone have a list of the poems that are he best for comparing to eachother. One like this would be good:

Ozymandias - My Last Duchess
Bayonet Charge - Exposure

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ozymandias x My Last Duchess
The Charge of the Light Brigade x Bayonet Charge
Remains x Exposure
Poppies x War Photographer
Kamikaze x the Émigrée
Storm on the Island x the Prelude
Checking Out Me History x London
TISSUE x the Émigrée

Watch Mr bruff's youtube videos or Mr Salles the English teacher or Stacey Reay
Hope I've helped

Poem Comparisons - Checking Out Me History x London
Intro: Both ‘Checking Out Me History’ and ‘London’ are based around the power of humans and how its misuse can affect us all negatively. Both Agard and Blake explore the power of those in authoritative roles such as the government. However, in ‘Checking Out Me History’ Agard uses ‘dem’ to reflect his anger about the miseducation of his personal identity. Whereas, Blake explores the effect power has on an emotional and mental aspect.a 1:
Para 1:

Phonetic spelling “dem” shows Agard refuses to conform to the rules of the English language- forces the reader to acknowledge Agard’s own identity. Going against the Eurocentric view that was imposed on him in Guyana

Lack of punctuation punctuation is a restriction as we are told we must use it. Agard is refusing to accept the restrictions forced on him by the English language. It would restrict his identity and take away the musicality of the poem

Para 2: Similarly, Blake clearly challenges those in power and what they impose on us

Play on words “Appal” means to go pale with fear but the churches are going black with soot juxtaposes the two both shouldn’t be able to exist together if the church was doing their job properly poverty wouldn’t exist. Perhaps Blake is implying that the church exploit those who are less fortunate (liked bible but not organised religion)

Metaphor “Hapless soldier’s sigh/ Runs in blood down palace walls” the unhappiness of the British soldiers’ could lead to something like the French Revolution possibly implying an uprising should happen against those in power

Para 3:

Metaphor “Bandage up me eye” metaphors of vision and blindness which is ironic as bandages are used in aid in healing but in this case its used to hide history. Those who wrap the bandages shape our individual identities and understating of ourselves coupled with BROKEN SYNTAX draws attention to this point

Italicisation of Black history makes them stand out - no rhyme scheme shows no one controls them or their history suggests that black historical figures are more important than non-fictional white figures which would be contradictory as that was what the British did

Alternatively he uses enjambment continuously to show his uncontrollable emotion and to force the reader to combine the historical figures as history should have done

Para 4: Agard uses form to show he’s out passed the injustice Blake uses it to show it’s inescapable

Iambic tetrameter repetitive inescapable life people in London have

Cyclical Structure “marriage hearse” it’s like the cycle of life it repeats and is cyclical

Conclusion:

Agard’s poem ends with the narrator ‘carving me own identity’ whereas London accepts that it is cyclical and apart of life which is inescapable which is why Blake left London in later life

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Shamxz
Remains x Exposure
Kamikaze x the Émigrée
TISSUE x the Émigrée

Watch Mr bruff's youtube videos or Mr Salles the English teacher or Stacey Reay
Hope I've helped

Poem Comparisons - Checking Out Me History x London
Intro: Both ‘Checking Out Me History’ and ‘London’ are based around the power of humans and how its misuse can affect us all negatively. Both Agard and Blake explore the power of those in authoritative roles such as the government. However, in ‘Checking Out Me History’ Agard uses ‘dem’ to reflect his anger about the miseducation of his personal identity. Whereas, Blake explores the effect power has on an emotional and mental aspect.a 1:
Para 1:

Phonetic spelling “dem” shows Agard refuses to conform to the rules of the English language- forces the reader to acknowledge Agard’s own identity. Going against the Eurocentric view that was imposed on him in Guyana

Lack of punctuation punctuation is a restriction as we are told we must use it. Agard is refusing to accept the restrictions forced on him by the English language. It would restrict his identity and take away the musicality of the poem

Para 2: Similarly, Blake clearly challenges those in power and what they impose on us

Play on words “Appal” means to go pale with fear but the churches are going black with soot juxtaposes the two both shouldn’t be able to exist together if the church was doing their job properly poverty wouldn’t exist. Perhaps Blake is implying that the church exploit those who are less fortunate (liked bible but not organised religion)

Metaphor “Hapless soldier’s sigh/ Runs in blood down palace walls” the unhappiness of the British soldiers’ could lead to something like the French Revolution possibly implying an uprising should happen against those in power

Para 3:

Metaphor “Bandage up me eye” metaphors of vision and blindness which is ironic as bandages are used in aid in healing but in this case its used to hide history. Those who wrap the bandages shape our individual identities and understating of ourselves coupled with BROKEN SYNTAX draws attention to this point

Italicisation of Black history makes them stand out - no rhyme scheme shows no one controls them or their history suggests that black historical figures are more important than non-fictional white figures which would be contradictory as that was what the British did

Alternatively he uses enjambment continuously to show his uncontrollable emotion and to force the reader to combine the historical figures as history should have done

Para 4: Agard uses form to show he’s out passed the injustice Blake uses it to show it’s inescapable

Iambic tetrameter repetitive inescapable life people in London have

Cyclical Structure “marriage hearse” it’s like the cycle of life it repeats and is cyclical

Conclusion:

Agard’s poem ends with the narrator ‘carving me own identity’ whereas London accepts that it is cyclical and apart of life which is inescapable which is why Blake left London in later life

Thanks that's really helpful!
I think its going to be Exposure or London
Reply 4
Original post by Ella324242
I think its going to be Exposure or London

Hopefully :smile:
Depends what the question is. A lot of them can go together nicely. And if its just a question on "how is power presented" you have a lot of options

EDIT:
When picking poems to compare, try to pick ones with similar themes. That way you won't talk about subject content as much and will be ab;e to focus on the good analytical stuff.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ozymandias is quite good to compare with London as they both contain a lot of metaphors (Ozymandias is an extended metaphor for power, London contains a lot of metaphors). Both poets are romantics and criticise power, Shelly writing about how power doens't go on forever and will be defeated by nature, Blake also on how power can be defeated, but more in terms of revolution. Both poets are republicans etc...
Original post by Shamxz
Hopefully :smile:

how could you compare Exposure to Remains please help :biggrin:
how could you compare Exposure to Remains please help :biggrin:

Horrors of War/Reality of Conflict:

ENJAMBMENT: Remains - conversational tone, makes it seem more ordinary, creates a harsher juxtaposition; alternatively could represent how it keeps going on, and repeating itself.
Exposure - constant presence of nature, the whole thing is never ending

SIBILANCE: Remains - "sun-stunned, sand-smothered land" - makes it sound like he's spitting, upset by his memories, etc.
Exposure - "iced east winds that knive us" - harsh sounding, only emphasised by the assonance, make it seem a lot colder and harsher. Emphasises the effect of nature on the soldiers

TITLES: Remains - shows what's left of his time as a soldier: just bad memories that haunt him, remains of memories that are the worst thing of war; reminder of the remains of this man that are "tossed" around; remains of the soldier's life as he can't pull himself together again.
Exposure - it's exposure that's killing them, reminder of the main problem in war and what their enemy is; alternatively could be that he's exposing the reality to everyone else, as he wants them to know and sympathise with him

RHYME SCHEME: Remains - lack of one, adds to the conversational tone, which emphasises the horror; could also create a lack of structure that mirrors his life now, so the reader can sense the disruption.
Exposure - half rhymes "war, wire", make it seem like it's going to rhyme but then it doesn't, mirrors how he's waiting for something to happen "but nothing happens"

I might add more things if I think of particularly nice points
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AcornFalls
Horrors of War/Reality of Conflict:

ENJAMBMENT: Remains - conversational tone, makes it seem more ordinary, creates a harsher juxtaposition; alternatively could represent how it keeps going on, and repeating itself.
Exposure - constant presence of nature, the whole thing is never ending

SIBILANCE: Remains - "sun-stunned, sand-smothered land" - makes it sound like he's spitting, upset by his memories, etc.
Exposure - "iced east winds that knive us" - harsh sounding, only emphasised by the assonance, make it seem a lot colder and harsher. Emphasises the effect of nature on the soldiers

I'll add more points on in a bit

thanks <3 hope you do the rest, what is your prediction :biggrin:
What is context for storm on the island?
Original post by THE END786

Nothing important, I don't think. Don't put things in unless you have a real point to make about them.
thanks <3 hope you do the rest, what is your prediction :biggrin:

Added a bit more. And haven't got the slightest idea about what it will be. Just doubt it will be Tissue because that isn't accessible to a lot of people.
Original post by AcornFalls
Nothing important, I don't think. Don't put things in unless you have a real point to make about them.

For Storm on the Island you can talk about the poets Northen Irish heritage and how the poem is maybe an extended metaphor for the conflict between the English and the Irish. He uses a semantic field of warfare imagery to hint at this.
Reply 14
Seamus Heaney was a poet in Ireland, he grew up in a farming community and many of his poems were about very normal and homely subjects. He uses a large number of agricultural and natural images in his work as metaphors for human nature...The poem is set around a story of a small isolated cottage near the sea in a storm and the exposure to the elements.
STORMONT is the Irish town where the Parliament buildings are located so you could talk about a political storm at the time of the IRA
Original post by THE END786

whilst on the surface, storm on the island is about the island of Arran facing the extremities of weather, a more metaphorical interpretation is the conflict that occured in ireland during heaney's time of writing. you should talk about this war (catholic ira vs protestant loyalists), mentioning the extreme terrorist attcks executed by both sides. the conflict created a physical divide (a wall much like the one built in berlin during the cold war). northern ireland became a battleground and the volitile fighting was part and parcel of every day life.
I prefer the prelude and Ozymandias because they both talk about the power of nature and in both poems, the pride of man is diminished by nature.
Reply 18
Original post by Shamxz
Remains x Exposure
Kamikaze x the Émigrée
TISSUE x the Émigrée

How would you compare charge of the light brigade to bayonet charge?
Also how are people approaching the exam, in terms of the number of poems that you are closely analysing, and which are they?
Original post by Harrison.B 15
Does anyone have a list of the poems that are he best for comparing to eachother. One like this would be good:

Ozymandias - My Last Duchess
Bayonet Charge - Exposure

Thanks

E6E91782-DA4E-49EE-9AFE-731118B4825C.jpg.jpeg

This doesn’t directly give you comparisons but I use it to help with comparing themes etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending