The Student Room Group

AQA - Unit 5 - Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1760
Original post by A level Az
Yeah sometimes they do have a "wrong answer" list, but not always, so I guess my point still makes sense.

I do get what you're saying but from looking on here it looks like half the people forgot to divide by two, therefore a high proportion of answers the be the wrong same answer, not really a list. Also someone on here said they carry error forwards, i know they do it for ocr physics so why should aqa chemistry be any different.
Reply 1761
Do you think electrolysis is ok for the Aluminium Oxide ions question?
Reply 1762
ah people actually put the melting thing too?! :biggrin: yeah, I said if its Al2O3 then as a solid it won't conduct electricity, so melt it in a furnace/oven in a lab at a high temperature until its molten - then test for its conductivity and if it conducts now then it was indeed made of ions. Thought I'd made all that up, but it seems I could be right. ahh! and I think electrolysis might possibly be fine :smile:
Reply 1763
Did everyone get 53.7 percent, or something like that, for the section B calculation?
Original post by Cameronn
ah people actually put the melting thing too?! :biggrin: yeah, I said if its Al2O3 then as a solid it won't conduct electricity, so melt it in a furnace/oven in a lab at a high temperature until its molten - then test for its conductivity and if it conducts now then it was indeed made of ions. Thought I'd made all that up, but it seems I could be right. ahh! and I think electrolysis might possibly be fine :smile:

Yeh I pretty much put that, I was going to just say dissolve it but I couldn't remember if it was soluble and I know it would work if it was molten. I don't know if that's what they were looking for though, they didn't give a lot of space to explain it.
what was the oxidation state for palladium and what were the shapes
i put oxidation state +2 and trigonal bipyramidal and tetrahedral did anyone else get this
Original post by hahaff
i put oxidation state +2 and trigonal bipyramidal and tetrahedral did anyone else get this

I think the other shape was square planar or something? Whatever cisplatin is. Tetrahedral is right though.
Reply 1767
Ah I think I've done it wrong then. I said Al2O3 would be the electrode for electrolysis and something about it conducting a current. blah.
Why couldn't you recharge the "Pb" thingy ma bob?
Reply 1769
I said it was because all the lead had been used up or something along those lines

If you get the correct equation, but don't balance it, do you still get some marks?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1770
hey guys...

for the 'why does the emf decrease?'

i put because 'the reactants are being used up...'

is that right?
Original post by Zakir
hey guys...

is that right?

Probably yeah.
Reply 1772
Original post by Zakir

Original post by Zakir
hey guys...

is that right?

I put the cell runs out :tongue:
Reply 1773
Original post by Betsss
I put the cell runs out :tongue:

Lol, sorry that made me giggle!
U myt get it ryt?
Reply 1774
Original post by Zakir

Original post by Zakir
Lol, sorry that made me giggle!
U myt get it ryt?

hehe, it was a last minute frantic attempt.. better than leaving it blank :tongue:
Original post by hahaff

I think the trick to this question is recognising that it is the shape of the PALLADIUM COMPLEX only in the compound. In which case, the palladium complex has a coordination number of four and so the two possible structures are tetrahedral and square planar.
Original post by Betsss
LOL i wrote some crap about hydrogen bonding... h bonds form between electronegative F, and electropositive hydrogen on the water :tongue:

that's what ive written.. last minute :s-smilie:
Reply 1777
Does any one remember how many marks the question about calculating entropy and gibbs free energy change was and how many marks i stand to loose if i didnt divive the moles by 2.
Don't know mate, looks like a lot of people messed those up, you could loose quite a lot if the mark scheme is strict, but you may get error carried forward
Pb02 + Pb + 2H+ + 2HSO4- ----> 2PbSO4 + 2H2O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending