The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Students at Royal Holloway? Opinions?

I have an offer to do Classical Studies at Royal Holloway, and I just wanted to know what life at the university is like? I have stayed there before and been out as the SU which I thought was alright, but I just wondered how much else is there to do around Egham, mainly what is the nightlife like really. Any comments would be a real big help as I am struggling majorly with picking where I'm going to accept! Thanks xoxo
Reply 1
Hello there!

Many people have asked similar questions, so your best bet is to have a look at both the Royal Holloway FAQ (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1338129) and the main question thread (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=879472). If the FAQ doesn't answer your questions, then that second thread should be helpful. People have asked countless times about the nightlife, so here's the key information from the FAQ:

apotoftea: Nightlife wise - if you're after hard core clubbling every night then Egham won't be for you. The local pubs are really nice and student friendly. The union's always got something going on and you can go clubbing in Windsor or Central London (last train back though is quite early).
Haha lively and Egham don't go together. Again you're best off heading to Staines (bit chavvy) or Windsor (rather twee but bustling way more than Staines)

Pub wise - Happy Man and Monkey's Forehead are your closest. Both owned by the same guy so the food's the same at either. Really good food at reasonable prices. Happy Man is more of an oldie worldie pub style where as Monkey's is more modern inside. The Wheatsheaf which is literally next do to Virginia Water (the lake, not the place) is meant to be really good too.
SuperStaah: People usually go Liquid in Windsor on Thursdays (apparently, Sundays, as well, but I've never been. ) cos its a student night (so you can get in for free with your NUS card!). If you call the right cab company, a group of four people can get to Windsor for £2 each.

Sometimes there are also trips to clubs in Brighton or Birmingham, as well. They usually cost around £15 - £20, which includes coach trip there and back, queue jump and entry fee.

WokSz: Do students go out in London often?

soph222: Depends how much you want to really! Obviously it's quite expensive, but then also amazing nights to be had there! We have a society called NADS (who you might have heard of) who run trips to London clubs every few weeks. For about £15 they take you there, bring you back and it includes club entry/queue jump so not bad at all! It's great cos means you can go out without going back early on the last train or at 6am on the first train!

Hope that helps!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you so much! I will read it all now! But it looks very helpful, thank you!
Reply 3
Hi rqcm,

RHUL's nightlife is honestly what you make of it. In my first year, I didn't go out much as I was so active in societies that I didn't have the energy or time to really do much more that (even my course). In my second year, however, I've been out nearly every night and I haven't had trouble finding places to go to. Having said that, a lot of your social life will be on campus and you will find that you need to work a little harder than other students at other Universities to find parties / clubs to go to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending