The Student Room Group

Are Royal Holloway and Surrey quote on quote “dead” unis? Are they diverse?

I’m applying to both of these Unis however I’m not too sure on their location and the type of people attending them. I’ve heard Royal Holloway has a reputation for having introverted students and, being located in Egham, not having much to do. Both unis are in Surrey which is notorious for being a white upper middle-class area with quite a lot of “snobs” and “rahs”. Especially Guildford where Uni of Surrey is located. The problem is I am quite literally the opposite of everything that I have just mentioned. I’m extroverted, working-class and I am also not white. I’m worried I won’t fit into these unis and that I won’t enjoy my experience there. What are the demographics like in these unis? I’ve heard there is a sizeable South Asian population in Royal Holloway but what is it like in Surrey Uni? What is the experience like in these two unis? And what are the areas like?
Original post by ChanBlinkOnce
I’m applying to both of these Unis however I’m not too sure on their location and the type of people attending them. I’ve heard Royal Holloway has a reputation for having introverted students and, being located in Egham, not having much to do. Both unis are in Surrey which is notorious for being a white upper middle-class area with quite a lot of “snobs” and “rahs”. Especially Guildford where Uni of Surrey is located. The problem is I am quite literally the opposite of everything that I have just mentioned. I’m extroverted, working-class and I am also not white. I’m worried I won’t fit into these unis and that I won’t enjoy my experience there. What are the demographics like in these unis? I’ve heard there is a sizeable South Asian population in Royal Holloway but what is it like in Surrey Uni? What is the experience like in these two unis? And what are the areas like?

Hey there,

In my opinion both universities are quite similar in terms of demographics. They both do have a sizable South Asian population and a significant amount of international students.

I visited both at an open day and did not see any negative stereotypes. Personally, I did not like them because I prefer city universities that are local to the city centre and with great transport links but I highly recommend checking them out in person if you're able to.

Hope this helps

Hi there!

I'm glad you're considering Surrey :smile:

You'll fit perfectly here, and here are some recent numbers to explain why.

I understand how location can make people think like you do, as I did as well, but universities in the UK tend to have different demographics compared to where they're located. That's thanks to student fees and loans being the same virtually anywhere in the country, apart from London, allowing students to pick where they want to move to, without many barriers. This means Guildford, housing most of Surrey's students, is also quite diverse, and it offers a lot for students to do, such as parks, gyms, nightclubs, restaurants, pubs, etc.

Surrey is also very centrally located, which I think is the main reason why I applied here. It's a 10-min walk from campus to the train station (with 30-min links to Central London), and 15-min walk to the high street.

So no worries, you'll fit right in with everyone else :smile:

Hope this helps,

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Hi there,

We have a diverse student and teaching population, and welcome students from all over the world. You can find out more about student life at Royal Holloway here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/being-a-student/ or you can chat to some of our current students here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat/ - our students know us better than anyone and can tell you all about life at Royal Holloway, from what their courses are like, to accommodation options and what’s available on campus!

We hope this helps,

Royal Holloway, University of London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending