The Student Room Group

Genetic engineering

what exactly are the practical, ethical, social and moral issues regarding it?
is it actually that bad? humans have been doing it for thousands of years through selective breeding...
I suppose it will be an advantage for the more wealthy. They can design their children the way they want for example. Eventually we will have a large population would have perfect eyes, hairs, skin etc who happen to be a genius in music, maths, science.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
what if, we could cure cancer?
would the ends justify the mean?
practical - pros and cons (any health dangers etc.)
moral/ethical - is it right to manipulate dna etc. should scientific exploration have a limit ?
social - economy, impact on famine, long-term impacts on health etc. would people be open to the ideas?
Reply 4
If we're talking about plants then there should be nothing wrong with it. So many tests are done that eating a genetically modified cabbage should be no more dangerous than eating one sprayed with pesticides.

If we're talking about humans though it gets complicated. We still don't know what half our genes do, so we might make someone more likely to be intelligent but at the same time give them a rare genetic disease. Even if it's tested on animals first (which is in itself controversial) we have no way of knowing if it would be safe, as everyone is different.
When it comes to genetic engineering, I don't think we should rush headfirst into changing our entire genome just to see what happens. Methodical, careful experimentation is needed to find out what most of our genes actually do. As long as that experimentation is conducted and we investigate the ramifications of engineering different parts of the genome, then I am extremely supportive of the notion that we should attempt to eliminate genetic diseases through genetic engineering on an international level; however anything beyond removing negative traits, i.e. trying to improve intelligence, creative ability or physical prowess, seems very, very dangerous and ethically dubious to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending