The Student Room Group

does university think that further math and math are the same subject?

i'm doing further math, math, physics and computer science now in a level
Original post by ZhangXiao
does university think that further math and math are the same subject?

No. They are well aware that Maths and Further Maths and different subjects. What makes you think otherwise?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
No. They are well aware that Maths and Further Maths and different subjects. What makes you think otherwise?
cuz, my teacher told me some university think that, and i want to drop computer science so i just want to make sure
cuz, my teacher told me some university think that, and i want to drop computer science so i just want to make sure
I don't know any universities which think that Maths and Further Maths are the same subject.

You will occasionally find universities who consider there to be too much overlap between Maths and Further Maths. For example, if you were to apply to BSc Genetics with a Modern Language at University of Manchester, you would find the below in their entry requriements:

"Subjects with overlapping content are not normally considered as separate A-levels. For example, Further Mathematics is not considered alongside Mathematics and Human Biology is not considered alongside Biology. If you are concerned there is too much overlap in your A level subjects, please contact us for advice before applying." (source)

For what degree subjects would you likely be applying, and at what universities?
Likely to only be an issue if you apply to a non-Maths based subject at undergrad.
About 10 years ago some unis would only accept FM as a 4th subject rather than as a combination of 3, but these days it's really only medical schools and some non-mathematical courses at LSE and a couple other unis that take that stance.

Mathematical subjects (e.g. maths. Physics, Cs, economics, engineering etc) are all more than happy to consider applicants with maths, FM and another subject (physics in the case of physics and engineering normally).

Quick Reply

Latest