The Student Room Group

veterinary as a second degree!! HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It is really scary to think about how much I will be debt after vet school. But I got a bit of a scholarship so that helps a bit, and now to look for more loans and scholarships!
Reply 21
Ummm not all of us 'bought' our way into vet school. :tongue: I know some people in my class that didn't have to go abroad (got in in their home country/state) but chose to because they wanted to attend R(D)SVS (and I'm sure that goes for other schools). And some of us did get turned down from other UK graduate entry programs (again true of other schools)-which if they just wanted our money...

Sorry but I just found those comments to be a bit biased and insulting. As for only rich students being able to do this...some of us aren't rich, we've just committed to a massive debt load from bank loans.
Reply 22
Im not saying 'all' of the grads buy a place in. I just know of individuals who don't have 'top' marks but got accepted as international students. I'm not making this up, or assuming other factors were at play because I know these people and have chatted to them. I am not the only one who feels this way either.

Commitment is something we all have as a quality. Some of us simply cannot afford to have 100,000 grand worth of debt in the end. Commitment or not.
Reply 23
Also many Canadians who want to pursue a career are forced to look outside of Canada because of strict enrolment quotas and seat alotments entitled only for residents of a particular province. I am a BC resident so the only Canadian school I am elibible to apply to is Saskatchewan, in which there are only 18 seats for BC residents, and probably 300-400 apply for those seats every year. There are only 5 veterinary schools total in Canada, with one being French. Guelph just takes Ontario residents, PEI just Atlantic residents, Calgary just Alberta residents, etc so many Canadians have to look for other options to attain a veterinary degree, not because we can just "buy our way" into an international school.
Reply 24
Oh I am sure there are people getting in that don't appear to deserve it. That has happened at any school and I think any program I have been in or had friends in.

This was more what caused me to post

"So there will be a fixed number of poor students, who pay 9k in fees with a massive loan; and then if you happen to have £20,000 a year odd you can buy a place at the institution of your choice."

Not all of us bought a place-that poster didn't say 'some people' he/she said 'if you had' implying all people.

And I didn't mean to imply people that didn't take on those loans were less committed, just that some people do commit to that level of debt, as oppose to being born wealthy. It is my understanding that loans are easier to get in the USA or Canada than in the UK. So I admit there are a variety of factors, I just find such comments to be discriminatory, and I don't like discrimination, against economic status, race or anything else.

I just thought I'd point out how it came across to me as I think this is a great board, and I would hate to think that international students (whom may have loads to offer e.g. about EMS since they have less time to do it in) were avoiding it because of such comments.
Reply 25
Original post by Horsegirl
Also many Canadians who want to pursue a career are forced to look outside of Canada because of strict enrolment quotas and seat alotments entitled only for residents of a particular province. I am a BC resident so the only Canadian school I am elibible to apply to is Saskatchewan, in which there are only 18 seats for BC residents, and probably 300-400 apply for those seats every year. There are only 5 veterinary schools total in Canada, with one being French. Guelph just takes Ontario residents, PEI just Atlantic residents, Calgary just Alberta residents, etc so many Canadians have to look for other options to attain a veterinary degree, not because we can just "buy our way" into an international school.

I know this as I am Albertan, not ALL vet applicants can afford international fees, £20,000 for RVC
In regards to Slovakia, what do you pay fee wise and have you managed to get a job to cover living costs?
All the universities in the U.K. bar the Scottish ones charge £9000 a year (not sure where the above got £3000 a year from!) Ed and Glasgow make doing a second degree far more difficult with their very very high fee costs. Pretoria is notoriously difficult to get into if youre not South African, UVM Kosisce is cheaper fees wise but you still have to afford living costs, but it's a 4 year course rather than a 5 year one. RVC also offer the 4 year accelerated course.

I'm really not sure where people are getting the £3000 a year from, fees have certainly been £9000 a year since I started in 2014, and they haven't been reduced since then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending