The Student Room Group

Are Medical Students allowed to wear nurse/utility belts?

I was wondering if medical students are allowed to wear utility type belts on wards to carry items like pens, scissors etc as I know some nurses use these due to lack of pockets in scrubs, I have experience in veterinary practice where they are extremely popular for carrying essentials like scissors, pens and notebooks. Are they a useful thing to have and are they allowed to be used in hospitals/practices? Asking to see if this would be a useful gift for a friend who is about to start a medical degree for use on placements etc.?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by IonaVet
I was wondering if medical students are allowed to wear utility type belts on wards to carry items like pens, scissors etc as I know some nurses use these due to lack of pockets in scrubs, I have experience in veterinary practice where they are extremely popular for carrying essentials like scissors, pens and notebooks. Are they a useful thing to have and are they allowed to be used in hospitals/practices? Asking to see if this would be a useful gift for a friend who is about to start a medical degree for use on placements etc.?

Would avoid for a couple of reasons: 1) it will invariably flout infection control policy 2) it's just not a great look.

Every set of scrubs I have ever worn has had at least a couple of pockets.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by IonaVet

Hi @IonaVet

Whether you can wear a utility belt will depend on the rules imposed both by the medical school and the hospital trust- it may be that they can wear it on some of their placements but not others. At Lancaster, utility belts wouldn't comply with infection control policy, but I've never found myself short of scrub pockets personally! It's also worth thinking about whether they would be on placement straight away, the practical part of my course didn't start until second year.

Nellie (Third-year Medical Student)
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @IonaVet

Whether you can wear a utility belt will depend on the rules imposed both by the medical school and the hospital trust- it may be that they can wear it on some of their placements but not others. At Lancaster, utility belts wouldn't comply with infection control policy, but I've never found myself short of scrub pockets personally! It's also worth thinking about whether they would be on placement straight away, the practical part of my course didn't start until second year.

Nellie (Third-year Medical Student)

Hi,
Thank you for your help, they will be on placement right away as they are on a graduate program but that is good to know re the infection control, sounds quite different to veterinary practice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending