The Student Room Group

Exemption Courses

hi, im looking at going back to university, but I already have 2 years in a undergrad course funded for me.

I am looking to study social work.
I have been told social work is an EQL or past learning exemption course and I was wondering how I would go about getting the funding for it.

I have called SFE and been told that I cant get any tuition funding until my 2nd and 3rd year but I have been told that a social work degree is exempt from this.

I know it is alot of questions but if anyone could help that would be great.

How would I get funded for this?
Would I need to speak to SFE on the phone about being funded or do i apply as normal and automatically get the exemption funding?
Is there an updated 2024 intake list?
Lastly, Will the funding be both tuition and maintenance as a returning student that hasn't completed her initial university degree?
Original post by ggl98
hi, im looking at going back to university, but I already have 2 years in a undergrad course funded for me.

I am looking to study social work.
I have been told social work is an EQL or past learning exemption course and I was wondering how I would go about getting the funding for it.

I have called SFE and been told that I cant get any tuition funding until my 2nd and 3rd year but I have been told that a social work degree is exempt from this.

I know it is alot of questions but if anyone could help that would be great.

How would I get funded for this?
Would I need to speak to SFE on the phone about being funded or do i apply as normal and automatically get the exemption funding?
Is there an updated 2024 intake list?
Lastly, Will the funding be both tuition and maintenance as a returning student that hasn't completed her initial university degree?

Hi there,

How long is your new course? Did you receive a qualification for your previous course? Do you have Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) why you didn't complete your previous course?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

How long is your new course? Did you receive a qualification for your previous course? Do you have Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) why you didn't complete your previous course?

Thanks,
Claire

hi,
my new course would be 3 years, possibly 4 if they require a foundation.

I received a foundation degree during my last course and that is it.

I left the university due to covid and my entire first year being strictly online.

thanks.
Original post by ggl98
hi,
my new course would be 3 years, possibly 4 if they require a foundation.

I received a foundation degree during my last course and that is it.

I left the university due to covid and my entire first year being strictly online.

thanks.

Students who already hold an ELQ will be eligible for maintenance support only (maintenance loan as well as supplementary grants and/or DSA where applicable) if they undertake an ELQ exception course.
[start]Students will be eligible if they start a new course leading to a qualification as a:[/start]

Medical Doctor

Dentist

Veterinary Surgeon (Veterinary Science courses can only be classed as an exception if the course leads the student to be a fully qualified Veterinary Surgeon)

Architect (RIBA 1 and 2 studied as one continuous full time course)

Social Worker

Teacher

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
Students who already hold an ELQ will be eligible for maintenance support only (maintenance loan as well as supplementary grants and/or DSA where applicable) if they undertake an ELQ exception course.
[start]Students will be eligible if they start a new course leading to a qualification as a:[/start]

Medical Doctor

Dentist

Veterinary Surgeon (Veterinary Science courses can only be classed as an exception if the course leads the student to be a fully qualified Veterinary Surgeon)

Architect (RIBA 1 and 2 studied as one continuous full time course)

Social Worker

Teacher

Thanks,
Claire

hi,

As stated I don't have a university degree.

I hold one single year in a foundation degree to get me enough UCAS points to get into university.
Original post by ggl98
hi,

As stated I don't have a university degree.

I hold one single year in a foundation degree to get me enough UCAS points to get into university.

Hi there,

So you've only studied 1 year since leaving further education? Just to check you've not began a second year at anytime? Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

So you've only studied 1 year since leaving further education? Just to check you've not began a second year at anytime? Thanks, Jason

hi,

I have studied a foundation year.
Then went onto studying a first year and left at the end/very beginning of my second year due to spending most of my year with different people in my accommodation getting covid and personal health diagnoses during end of 2019- beginning of 2020.

I have only received certificates saying I have passed my foundation degree and that is it.
Original post by ggl98
hi,

I have studied a foundation year.
Then went onto studying a first year and left at the end/very beginning of my second year due to spending most of my year with different people in my accommodation getting covid and personal health diagnoses during end of 2019- beginning of 2020.

I have only received certificates saying I have passed my foundation degree and that is it.

Thanks. If you enrolled on your second year then this counts as a year of previous study (even if you didn't complete the full year). That will be why you've previously been advised you would be funded for years 2 onwards of your new course.

If you left due to reasons outwith your control you can apply for CPR to get back an extra year of funding. I've enclosed further info here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending