The Student Room Group

Please help me sort myself out!

Basically I want to make some changes to myself, I'm not happy with how I look or feel or dress and I want to improve it all! I'm 5'6 and 10.8, but I don't eat particularly unhealthily, I admit I have off days but everyone does! 2 years ago I was 11.2, and I got down to 10 stone, but since then I've kind of let it all go especially after breaking up with my boyfriend and have started putting the weight back on again, I plan to start going to the gym 3 times a week and start running 4 miles a week at home. I'm also going to start trying to monitor what I'm eating and try and work out where I'm going wrong, because I eat a fairly balanced and proportioned diet, although it is probably lacking a little in the fruit department, but I do eat enough vegetables to make up for this generally.

I've kind of got the hang of my make up now (I only started to really wear it about a year and a half ago and even then I didn't really do it very well, but I've found a good foundation, and generally when I go out in the day I wear this foundation, a bit of powder, dash of blusher, black eyeliner and mascara. When I'm going out for an evening I may add a bit of eyeshaddow but I don't really know how to 'do it up' in order to make it better for the evening/night.

I'm fed up with my hair and want a change, but I really love having it long, and don't really know what to do with it, I'd love to have it curled every day (quite loose big curls) But I simply don't have the time or a decent pair of curlers to be able to do this. Can anyone reccomend a decent daily hair style that would be easy to do while keeping my hair long?

And then we come to the big bit, the bit that made me write this thread in the first place. Wardrobe. I spent today sorting it all out, finding out what I have in there and getting rid of stuff I'm never going to wear. Problem is theres a lot of stuff I'm never going to wear and my clothes stock is greatly depleted by this. What I have left, a lot of it I'm not particularly keen on, or is a great item to have but I don't have anything to go with it. My problem is that I buy things in bits and pieces when I see something I like, rather than planning outfits and matching things. I want to find a style and I want to sort my wardrobe out, I need to basically buy a whole new wardrobe! I'm kind of hour glass at the moment, but I don't know whether this is because I'm carrying some weight on my hips as I have quite big shoulders (I used to swim competitively) and I'm wondering if when I lose weight my hips will lose some weight but my shoulders might stay quite big. I really love how Taylor Swift dresses but I just don't know how to sort my wardrobe out like that! And I don't know if her style would suit me. I have quite big boobs so if I buy things they have to go in under my boobs or they just drop straight down and make me look reallllly fat. So generally t shirts don't work for me :frown: but I have a couple of blousy style strappy tops that have a tie around the bra strap line so that it pulls in any excess material and doesn't add several inches to my stomach!

Can someone help me out? Basically I'm asking for a complete style make over! But I just don't know where to start or anything!

Scroll to see replies

Start with something like this:

Spoiler

You're so shallow
Reply 3
Original post by TheSownRose
Start with something like this:

Spoiler

Aww thanks you're so helpful! Might give it a go, stand out in the crowd and all that :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by rugbyladosc
You're so shallow

Not really, I'm just unhappy with how I look, and I want to feel better about myself, whats wrong with that?
Reply 5
You seem totally fine when i saw you :confused: but i kinda get what you mean though, i need to fix up my wardrobe and refine my personality/appearance for uni :tongue:
Sounds awful but I genuinely can't help you in the exercise/diet section because I have no idea :biggrin: I would just say don't be too ambitious or you will give up....

Make up is where I come in haha, I THOROUGHLY recommend you booking an appointment at a nearby 'MAC' for a makeup lesson (it costs about £50 BUT you use this £50 to buy their products) Number 1, there products are amazing I swear by them but they are SO helpful in telling you how to put the makeup on / what suits you / what colours to wear etc. Okay I don't know how well off you are because I know the makeup is expensive but it lasts such a long time honestly, the only thing I have found myself replacing is my mascara/foundation. The blushers/bronzers/eyeshadows last AGES I am not even joking literally a year even though I wear every day and also investing in some good make up brushes.

They will help you with different looks, you will probably have the same base (foundation,powder,blusher,bronzer) but then different eyeshadow colours / lipsticks/glosses for evening :smile:

My hair is also very long not sure how long you mean? :P You could maybe get some heated rollers so you can just stick them in when doing your makeup? What is your natural hair like - you could towel dry and then scrunch with some mousse. I just have my hair straight but a bit messy, I straighten it and blitz with hairspray it will last me 2 days and then a third day with dry shampoo without me having to wash it. You could try the curls with hairspray and see if they last. Ohh yeah TKMAX does really cheap and amazing hair curlers btw.

I am also crap with clothes sorry :P
Original post by emilymay
Aww thanks you're so helpful! Might give it a go, stand out in the crowd and all that :wink:

It'll make you feel good about yourself in loads of ways. :wink:

Spoiler

Reply 8

Wow you are a nice girl. I would have flamed that creep right back
Reply 9
Buy some fashion magazines etc to see what kind of style you like/would suit you..?
Reply 10
I have quite big boobs so if I buy things they have to go in under my boobs or they just drop straight down and make me look reallllly fat.

well hello
Reply 11
Basically I want to make some changes to myself, I'm not happy with how I look or feel or dress and I want to improve it all! I'm 5'6 and 10.8, but I don't eat particularly unhealthily, I admit I have off days but everyone does! 2 years ago I was 11.2, and I got down to 10 stone, but since then I've kind of let it all go especially after breaking up with my boyfriend and have started putting the weight back on again, I plan to start going to the gym 3 times a week and start running 4 miles a week at home. I'm also going to start trying to monitor what I'm eating and try and work out where I'm going wrong, because I eat a fairly balanced and proportioned diet, although it is probably lacking a little in the fruit department, but I do eat enough vegetables to make up for this generally.

I've kind of got the hang of my make up now (I only started to really wear it about a year and a half ago and even then I didn't really do it very well, but I've found a good foundation, and generally when I go out in the day I wear this foundation, a bit of powder, dash of blusher, black eyeliner and mascara. When I'm going out for an evening I may add a bit of eyeshaddow but I don't really know how to 'do it up' in order to make it better for the evening/night.

I'm fed up with my hair and want a change, but I really love having it long, and don't really know what to do with it, I'd love to have it curled every day (quite loose big curls) But I simply don't have the time or a decent pair of curlers to be able to do this. Can anyone reccomend a decent daily hair style that would be easy to do while keeping my hair long?

And then we come to the big bit, the bit that made me write this thread in the first place. Wardrobe. I spent today sorting it all out, finding out what I have in there and getting rid of stuff I'm never going to wear. Problem is theres a lot of stuff I'm never going to wear and my clothes stock is greatly depleted by this. What I have left, a lot of it I'm not particularly keen on, or is a great item to have but I don't have anything to go with it. My problem is that I buy things in bits and pieces when I see something I like, rather than planning outfits and matching things. I want to find a style and I want to sort my wardrobe out, I need to basically buy a whole new wardrobe! I'm kind of hour glass at the moment, but I don't know whether this is because I'm carrying some weight on my hips as I have quite big shoulders (I used to swim competitively) and I'm wondering if when I lose weight my hips will lose some weight but my shoulders might stay quite big. I really love how Taylor Swift dresses but I just don't know how to sort my wardrobe out like that! And I don't know if her style would suit me. I have quite big boobs so if I buy things they have to go in under my boobs or they just drop straight down and make me look reallllly fat. So generally t shirts don't work for me :frown: but I have a couple of blousy style strappy tops that have a tie around the bra strap line so that it pulls in any excess material and doesn't add several inches to my stomach!

Can someone help me out? Basically I'm asking for a complete style make over! But I just don't know where to start or anything!

You kind of answered this yourself. Go to the hairdressers and ask for layers or something and go shopping with your mates. Problem solved. :/
Original post by derp

I'm not really a creep... :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Original post by dmz
You seem totally fine when i saw you :confused: but i kinda get what you mean though, i need to fix up my wardrobe and refine my personality/appearance for uni :tongue:

:colondollar: cringe, I tried to post it anonymously but it wouldn't let me :frown: So just ended up posting it anyway because I wanted the advice, and was hoping no one I know would see :tongue: but yeah, I definately need a change I'm fed up with it all! :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by secret_geek
Sounds awful but I genuinely can't help you in the exercise/diet section because I have no idea :biggrin: I would just say don't be too ambitious or you will give up....

Make up is where I come in haha, I THOROUGHLY recommend you booking an appointment at a nearby 'MAC' for a makeup lesson (it costs about £50 BUT you use this £50 to buy their products) Number 1, there products are amazing I swear by them but they are SO helpful in telling you how to put the makeup on / what suits you / what colours to wear etc. Okay I don't know how well off you are because I know the makeup is expensive but it lasts such a long time honestly, the only thing I have found myself replacing is my mascara/foundation. The blushers/bronzers/eyeshadows last AGES I am not even joking literally a year even though I wear every day and also investing in some good make up brushes.

They will help you with different looks, you will probably have the same base (foundation,powder,blusher,bronzer) but then different eyeshadow colours / lipsticks/glosses for evening :smile:

My hair is also very long not sure how long you mean? :P You could maybe get some heated rollers so you can just stick them in when doing your makeup? What is your natural hair like - you could towel dry and then scrunch with some mousse. I just have my hair straight but a bit messy, I straighten it and blitz with hairspray it will last me 2 days and then a third day with dry shampoo without me having to wash it. You could try the curls with hairspray and see if they last. Ohh yeah TKMAX does really cheap and amazing hair curlers btw.

I am also crap with clothes sorry :P

Hmm I may try that MAC thing, £50 is a loooot of money but if they're as good as you say and really will be able to tell me how to do it all to suit me best, and last as long as you say.. then I could start off with this just to find out what looks good and then when they do run out find the same sort of stuff but cheaper?

My hair goes to a couple of cms below my bra strap, the only way I can think of explaining it. How do you mean by scrunch? I've heard people say it before but I don't get how you do it? I tend to wash my hair every other day most of the time, but yeah occasionally I resort to dry shampoo! :tongue: And I will drop into TKMAX next time and buy a pair then! :biggrin: Thanks so much!
Reply 15
:colondollar: cringe, I tried to post it anonymously but it wouldn't let me :frown: So just ended up posting it anyway because I wanted the advice, and was hoping no one I know would see :tongue: but yeah, I definately need a change I'm fed up with it all! :tongue:

Haha, was wondering why you didn't go anonymous!! tut tut, your picture on here too :tongue:, lets hope no-one see's it, if they do i'll have to knock them out for you :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by rugbyladosc
So much. I hate how people want to fit mainstream ideals. What ever happened to unique beauty? Everyone is unique and I always wonder why girls try to look like the 'pretty' girls. I'm sure you look lovely, if you don't think so put some pics up and i'll let you know

Thats me in the 'avatar' picture on my posts, my friend took it for her photography portfolio and it's one of the few pics of myself I like :tongue: but its not that I want to fit into any kind of ideals, its just that I don't feel happy with how I am at the moment, and I don't like most of my clothes and I just don't feel attractive! I'm not trying to be like a 'pretty girl' but I would like to feel pretty! :smile: I want to stay me but just update me a bit, and change a few things so that I feel better.
Reply 17
Original post by derp

Haha, much rather be laughing with them than have them laughing at me! Its much easier if you treat things as a joke :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by dmz
well hello

LOL :tongue:
Hmm I may try that MAC thing, £50 is a loooot of money but if they're as good as you say and really will be able to tell me how to do it all to suit me best, and last as long as you say.. then I could start off with this just to find out what looks good and then when they do run out find the same sort of stuff but cheaper?

My hair goes to a couple of cms below my bra strap, the only way I can think of explaining it. How do you mean by scrunch? I've heard people say it before but I don't get how you do it? I tend to wash my hair every other day most of the time, but yeah occasionally I resort to dry shampoo! :tongue: And I will drop into TKMAX next time and buy a pair then! :biggrin: Thanks so much!

But you can use the £50 to buy their products after haha so the lesson is technically free? I literally swear by MAC it's seriously amazing, makes you look amazing. You definitely get what you pay for.

Erm, let me find a youtube video about the scrunching. Okay I know she is so annoying but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLHcVeyd530 the type of curl after will depend on your natural hair / how much product you put in? haha. Yeah TXMAX I've picked up three pairs of hair curlers. Tight ones usually £220 got them for £15, toni and guy ones for £10 and nicky clarke for £10 and literally just as good...

http://www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-beauty/ultracurl-styler/invt/42086303/

they are usually like £30/40 quid but I highly recommend going into the shop :biggrin:

Quick Reply