The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I haven't applied, the campus was far too big. I mean, yes very pretty but if we're honest, who in their right mind would walk across the meadow to Derby Hall from the road at the top in the middle of the night, with one light on there.

And plus, when it rains you want to walk around even less. But having said, it's ok..SU was good, downsides about it, didn't like it as much as L'boro's SU and the halls were also SO dark in the weather...Blah, blah, blah.
Reply 21
The weather has been quite nice on the three open days I have been to so far - a bit cold but dry. Anyway, I can still bitch a bit:

I find it annoying when everyone else brings their parents. I would HATE my parents to come - not that we don't get along or anything, it is just that I would rather be able to look around independantly afeter all, it is me who will be going to the uni in the end. It is annoying when other people bring parents becasue basically that student will then just stick wuth their parents for as long as possible without talking to anyone else.

Pointless interviews. At Bristol, I got asked some academic questions, completly froze on both of them, got some really basic stuff wrong and still got an offer. What was the point in interviewing me?

The fact that on every open day, I seem to meet at least 2 or 3 people form Portsmouth. Not that there is anything wrong with Portsmouth or its people but surely it gets dull in a town where everyone is an Electrical & Electronic Engineering student/applicant?

Apart from that I really enjoy them :smile:
the main thing i hate about open days, is the fact that my parents want to appear to think they are the ones going to uni, so ask all the questions, pushing me forward to ask questions, when i blatantly don't!
shyopstv
Pointless interviews. At Bristol, I got asked some academic questions, completly froze on both of them, got some really basic stuff wrong and still got an offer. What was the point in interviewing me?

To see whether they would enjoy teaching you, that's all. It's not about whether you get the answer right. If you already knew it all there would be no point in you going to uni. They just want to see what you're like.
Reply 24
Fair enough. I was just in a bitchy mood :p: I have decided that I hate all interviews pointless or not!
Don't we all? :wink:
I quite enjoy open days. I don't like going as a school group because then i have to spend the day with people who jsut want to mess around. Like when 8 of us went to the birmingham open day we were all so hungover we just stayed in the union all day even though i wanted to see stuff and i couldnt leave them because i didnt want to get the train on my own =(
Reply 27
I have to show people around during these open days, and I dont like it either sometimes!!! Mainly because when I went for my own open days, I didnt like the students who would be extra cheery and show you around everywhere and act oh-so superior just because they've already got in. Now I realise I might give the same impression :eek: . So....who doesnt like those students that show you around for tours and stuff???? :creep:
I like the cheery/funny ones. The tour-guide really does change your impression of the university- if they like it here then it's obviously not a bad place. If they hate it there (like the guide at Royal Holloway my friends had- God knows how he became a student rep considering some of the things he's supposed to have said :wink:) then you immediately get a worse impression of the place.

I mean yeah, extra-cheery might be grating on a (however-long) tour but if when people are happy and helpful it makes the tour a lot more interesting than the guides who sound like they'd rather be anywhere else than showing you around!

On the subject of open days: I quite like them, though I've not been to any subject/departmental ones. I'm always so tired afterwards though- does anyone else find that?
Reply 29
Quite enjoyed some open days.. Went to Portsmouth, Exeter, Plymouth and Soton. Soton was actuallymy shortest.. Having arrived late and having to leave early to catch the train But I just knew I loved it. Its so great here :biggrin:
Exeter was great too, It was heartbreaking to know I couldnt get in thee.. Bu then I found Soton and alls well that.. You know what I mean.
I like rain and detest sunshine and it was raining when I visited Chester and everything was looking peaceful and damp. As well as visiting the university I walked round the city walls and went for an opentop bus ride :smile: I was smart enough not to allow my parents to come so really I had a great time. :biggrin:

oops I was meant to be moaning...headaches are a bad thing about open days
6. Seeing that all the other applicants are cooler than you.
7. Seeing that all the other applicants are geeks.
8. Having to talk to said geeks / 'cool' people.
9. Feeling stupid when you don't understand anything the lecturers talk about.
10. Feeling stupid when you don't understand anything the other applicants talk about.

All things that could happen when you actually get to uni, especially numbers 8 a and 9!...so it's a good thing you're getting some experience!
Reply 32
Elusive Moose
I like the cheery/funny ones. The tour-guide really does change your impression of the university- if they like it here then it's obviously not a bad place. If they hate it there (like the guide at Royal Holloway my friends had- God knows how he became a student rep considering some of the things he's supposed to have said :wink:) then you immediately get a worse impression of the place.

I mean yeah, extra-cheery might be grating on a (however-long) tour but if when people are happy and helpful it makes the tour a lot more interesting than the guides who sound like they'd rather be anywhere else than showing you around!

On the subject of open days: I quite like them, though I've not been to any subject/departmental ones. I'm always so tired afterwards though- does anyone else find that?

oh,yay :biggrin: .Hope everyone likes the cheery, enthusiastic ones. I do really enjoy giving the tours, however you do get some groups who never ask any questions or give any feedback, and that can be frustrating.
Open days definitely are tiring. Have to walk so much when they show you around and also wait for ages in common rooms for your turn at interviews. And if you have a long journey afterwards it makes it even worse.
aww they really boring! i went to the uea one, and me and my friend left half way throguh and went pictures :P

Latest

Trending

Trending