The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tek
Why are you asking me? You're at Oxford so you're quite clearly intelligent.

Because you seem to think that you are capable of determining whether someone's A Level choices include 'mickey mouse' subjects even if though you don't seem to have any actual experiences of the course whatsoever.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 21
I agree that there's no such thing as an easy subject, especially when you mention Drama/Theatre studies lol
That AS was the hardest thing I've ever ever had to do in my entire life. I could deal with maths. I could deal with Latin. But Drama?? lol my crappiest ever mark ever. I got a B overall but I think i got a D in the written paper :redface:
Tek, you crack me up. I feel compelled to tell you that I spent two years doing a BTEC ND in Media Studies. It was great fun, I ran around making hilarious films featuring stick-on moustaches. It was the most amazingly mickey mouse course - modules were passed with a 0% attendance rate at the lectures, and some projects were ignored completely yet still grades were given for them. And at the end of it all I'm going to a proper uni to do a proper subject (do you consider philosophy proper?). Mickey Mouse subjects are probably worth more at A Level when you have to sit exams in things, and learn things too - vocational courses aren't ideal preparation for an academic university course. I can't remember where I was going with this now but still, I remain convinced that you don't get Mickey Mouse A Levels, but you do get Mickey Mouse courses...
Reply 23
hildabeast
Because you seem to think that you are capable of determining whether someone's A Level choices include 'mickey mouse' subjects even if though you don't seem to have any actual experiences of the course whatsoever.

According to LSE, they do not make, or try not to make, offers based on results in the following subjects:

Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Dance
DT
Home Economics
ICT
Law
Media Studies
Sports Studies
Theatre Studies

Let's face it, if you MUST take two or three of those subjects at A Level then you're too stupid to be involved in academic study.
Reply 24
Tek

Let's face it, if you MUST take two or three of those subjects at A Level then you're too stupid to be involved in academic study.

What the f**k do you know? I take Media, Film and History for A Level and I'm not stupid. I got As in Maths and Science at GCSE, but I just didn't really want to take them to A Level, because I found them boring (apart from Chemistry, which I did briefly consider)

I am so sick and tired of twats like you who think they know it all, when in reality they don't have a clue.
Tek

That's all well and good for people who actually KNOW these things, but myself and my friends went to college after GCSEs not knowing that there was this 'distinction' between 'proper' subjects and 'easy' subjects. Maybe those people who are in schools are actually told, but I know someone who took A Levels in Communication Studies, Vocational Business and Law because the courses sounded interesting, and she had a great time. She got straight As, but didn't find any of those subjects easy, especially law, and yet was unable to get a decent university place. Of course if she had known she would have done maths, sciences, English etc, but a lot of 16 yr olds don't know and shouldn't be expected to know. If all A Levels are presented as equal even though universities don't regard them as such, something must be wrong. I persnally think it's largely inbuilt snobbery on the part of institutions such as LSE which is to blame.

Reply 26
Tek
According to LSE, they do not make, or try not to make, offers based on results in the following subjects:

Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Dance
DT
Home Economics
ICT
Law
Media Studies
Sports Studies
Theatre Studies

WHOA..theres a really strong opinion there...what I don't understand is why you base your opinion on what LSE thinks? I don't take business studies, but I know for sure that it isn't a 'mikey mouse' subject cuz I know loads of people who do it. As for Art and Design, the amount of time put into each piece of work is beyond what most people and do!!! LSE isn't even a place for a the art related subjects.
Reply 27
hildabeast
That's all well and good for people who actually KNOW these things, but myself and my friends went to college after GCSEs not knowing that there was this 'distinction' between 'proper' subjects and 'easy' subjects. Maybe those people who are in schools are actually told, but I know someone who took A Levels in Communication Studies, Vocational Business and Law because the courses sounded interesting, and she had a great time. She got straight As, but didn't find any of those subjects easy, especially law, and yet was unable to get a decent university place. Of course if she had known she would have done maths, sciences, English etc, but a lot of 16 yr olds don't know and shouldn;t be expected to. If all A Levels are presented as equal even though universities don't regard them as such, something must be wrong. I persnally think it's largely inbuilt snobbery on the part of institutions such as LSE which is to blame.

Well maybe your sixteen year old friend should have done some research first. The fact that she didn't get any "decent" university places just shows that an A in Law does not equal an A in Maths.
Tek
Well maybe your sixteen year old friend should have done some research first. The fact that she didn't get any "decent" university places just shows that an A in Law does not equal an A in Maths.

In the eyes of certain universities, maybe. But how can school-leavers be expected to do 'research' when colleges present all subjects as equal and actively try to fill up places on communication studies courses??? A Level Law is actually extremely difficult, and both Oxford and Cambridge accept it. Why can't LSE???

Reply 29
hildabeast
That's all well and good for people who actually KNOW these things, but myself and my friends went to college after GCSEs not knowing that there was this 'distinction' between 'proper' subjects and 'easy' subjects. Maybe those people who are in schools are actually told, but I know someone who took A Levels in Communication Studies, Vocational Business and Law because the courses sounded interesting, and she had a great time. She got straight As, but didn't find any of those subjects easy, especially law, and yet was unable to get a decent university place. Of course if she had known she would have done maths, sciences, English etc, but a lot of 16 yr olds don't know and shouldn't be expected to know. If all A Levels are presented as equal even though universities don't regard them as such, something must be wrong. I persnally think it's largely inbuilt snobbery on the part of institutions such as LSE which is to blame.

Yeah, I didn't pick my subjects on how hard they were or how respected they were, just what looked interesting at the time. Maybe if I'd known more I would have done a science, or at least done something better than English Lang. for my other AS so I didn't have to do Media and Film at A2.

But at the end of the day, I have a place to study Politics at a decent Uni, so I'm not all that bothered.
Reply 30
Tek
HAHAHA! You say it "doesn't affect you" yet you are studying Law and Sociology!! What mickey mouse subjects!! Hahaha.

- Tek (who is studying four "proper" subjects and General Studies.)

Thanks for your judgemental approach!

My point ( put badly) was that i had a mixture of what may be considered easy and harder a levels. 2 hard subjects Bio and German and an easy - sociology -but Law is middling. Law at A2 isn't easy, its has so many theories, judges interpretations, etc, it is an academic Alevel that you cannot walk into an exam for and pass with no preparation.

And as i stated before - the purpose of this discussion is not to slag off each others subjects and undermine them. As you blatently just have.

I can appreciate that some people have different circumstances. I go to a college, not a school (private or otherwise) colleges can't bend over backwards as far as timetabling and staffing go. People go to colleges to do non school subjects such as Law, Media, Film, Theatre, Performing arts, 3D design so they tend to dominate the timetable and leave less room for so called "proper subjects"

I had to make do with what would fit into my timetable and what was in an option pool. The way mine was laid out left sociology in a group with subjects that you have to have at least an ounce of liking to them, such as geography, art, media and film studies. Hence why i chose it, and no doing this subject does not make me feel inferior to anybody thanks "Tek"
Reply 31
We are in a point in time when many school leavers have no clue that taking such subjects may disadvantage them, and I don't think they should be expected to. It doesn't help when schools and stupid government initiatives try to make people believe otherwise. It was just this Friday that we started this ridiculous "head start" program in college, it teaches things like "why plagarism will get you in trouble." "It's just like having an extra alevel!" they say. Clearly rubbish.

Maybe in time though, it's going to make it through to the younger ones that it's not all the same.
Ladyluck
no doing this subject does not make me feel inferior to anybody thanks "Tek"

Well said Ladyluck. Many people haven't had the advantage of going to a school which knows the best way to get a good university place. In my area there are NO school sixth forms, so everyone has to go to colleges which offer a mixture of academic and vocational A Levels. School-leavers have a tendency to choose subjects they have not done before because they sound new and interesting, and have no reason to suspect that they may be considered inferior to more traditional subjects. I don't see how on earth they can be criticised for this.

Reply 33
Ladyluck
Thanks for your judgemental approach!

My point ( put badly) was that i had a mixture of what may be considered easy and harder a levels. 2 hard subjects Bio and German and an easy - sociology -but Law is middling. Law at A2 isn't easy, its has so many theories, judges interpretations, etc, it is an academic Alevel that you cannot walk into an exam for and pass with no preparation.

And as i stated before - the purpose of this discussion is not to slag off each others subjects and undermine them. As you blatently just have.

I had to make do with what would fit into my timetable and what was in an option pool. The way mine was laid out left sociology in a group with subjects that you have to have at least an ounce of liking to them, such as geography, art, media and film studies. Hence why i chose it, and no doing this subject does not make me feel inferior to anybody thanks "Tek"

I don't care what your purpose was. Perhaps I didn't take note of it, however, because it was as "badly put" as your first point. *Chuckles*.

Anyway, the kind of people who do mickey mouse A Levels are, generally speaking, the kind of people who'll do a mickey mouse degree. Now why the f**k my parents have to fund Tracey (who incidentally will qualify for Government support) to do a degree in "Media Studies" from East London Polytechnic when she has EEU at A Level is beyond me. People like her are simply too stupid to be involved in any form of academic study, and it's a bloody disgrace that we taxpayers have to finance it. Will she benfit society? Hmm NO.
Reply 34
ladyluck: good point.

Alot of schools put subjects into option blocks and you're forced to do a subject you wouldn't choose in a million years if it wasn't for that. You think I chose to geography GCSE for the fun of it? It's because I wasn't going to do RE or sociology in a million years. Luckily my college is large enough to organise teaching blocks around the demand, and not vice versa.
Reply 35
hildabeast
That's all well and good for people who actually KNOW these things, but myself and my friends went to college after GCSEs not knowing that there was this 'distinction' between 'proper' subjects and 'easy' subjects....
If all A Levels are presented as equal even though universities don't regard them as such, something must be wrong. I persnally think it's largely inbuilt snobbery on the part of institutions such as LSE which is to blame.

VERY WELL PUT !! LSE is obviously biased aginst these *often* college based subjects.

A private school near me, (what my bf went to) doesnt even offer sociology and psychology, instead they have to pick subjects from a tiny choice including classical civilisation, latin, Greek etc, hounding them into so called "proper" alevels.
Reply 36
Ladyluck
VERY WELL PUT !! LSE is obviously biased aginst these *often* college based subjects.

NO! MY GOD!! WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO? :rolleyes:
Tek

Anyway, the kind of people who do mickey mouse A Levels are, generally speaking, the kind of people who'll do a mickey mouse degree.

I did English lang/lit and gov and politics A Levels, Tek. They've been accused of being mickey mouse subjects. I'm now reading philosophy and theology. Is that a mickey mouse degree?

The point is, many people live in a different world to you. I know plenty of people for whom going to university in the first place is a major achievement, whether it be for law or for game design. There are others who are capable of doing law degrees, but because they are provided with very little information when making their A Level choices, they end up on a so-called 'mickey mouse degree' because certain universities snobbishly look down on certain subjects.

Reply 38
hildabeast
I did English lang/lit and gov and politics A Levels, Tek. They've been accused of being mickey mouse subjects. I'm now reading philosophy and theology. Is that a mickey mouse degree?

The point is, many people live in a different world to you. I know plenty of people for whom going to university in the first place is a major achievement, whether it be for law or for game design. There are others who are capable of doing law degrees, but because they are provided with very little information when making their A Level choices, they end up on a so-called 'mickey mouse degree' because certain universities snobbishly look down on certain subjects.

HAHAHA! It's "snobbish" to look down on "Film Studies" is it now? Oh deary, deary me. A sad, sad day for society indeed.
Reply 39
I cannot believe how snobby and ignorant some people are. Just because somebody may be very bright it dosn't mean that those who cannot cope with 5 maths/science based A levels are any less thick.

If you really were thick you would not pass any A levels. I know a person who got A's in his GCSEs and failed all his AS levels. The reason was because at school he was coached like a robot into passing good grades but he actually knew not much about the subjects he just knew how to pass exams.

I on the other hand got 5 C's and 4 D's at GCSE and did far better at A levels/AVCE than he did. I got AB in my AVCE and a B in my AS Business Studies.

I am at a proper university now (if not one of the best) on a proper course despite having probably done micky mouse courses. I am also doing better in my degree than many of my peers who have A levels maths etc.

Its all about the person not what bloody subjects you take.

Latest

Trending

Trending