The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hildabeast
I did English lang/lit and gov and politics A Levels, Tek. They've been accused of being mickey mouse subjects. I'm now reading philosophy and theology. Is that a mickey mouse degree?

What on earth...? Do you have trouble differentiating "Wine Studies" at Westminster Uni from Philosophy at Oxford? Jesus....do you just not understand the issue at all?
Reply 41
Tek
I don't care what your purpose was. Perhaps I didn't take note of it, however, because it was as "badly put" as your first point. *Chuckles*.

Anyway, the kind of people who do mickey mouse A Levels are, generally speaking, the kind of people who'll do a mickey mouse degree. Now why the f**k my parents have to fund Tracey (who incidentally will qualify for Government support) to do a degree in "Media Studies" from East London Polytechnic when she has EEU at A Level is beyond me. People like her are simply too stupid to be involved in any form of academic study, and it's a bloody disgrace that we taxpayers have to finance it. Will she benfit society? Hmm NO.

That is so snobby and selfish. You dont consider people may not be as gifted as you, and for all the trying in the world wont get A's, that doesnt make hem any less deserving of a place at a Uni, so what if it is a poly.
Not everyone gets opportunity laid on a plate before them.
Why shouldn't "Tracy" want to better her future and do a degree in a subject that she likes. She will still come out with a degree, which can offer opportunities for management / teaching whatever.

At least she wont be on benefits at home doing nothing for herself. When she graduates and earns a job will be paying tax like everyone else. She in turn will be supposedly paying for someone elses education, and personally i'd rather it was someone like her, than someone like you :rolleyes:
Tek
HAHAHA! It's "snobbish" to look down on "Film Studies" is it now? Oh deary, deary me. A sad, sad day for society indeed.

It's snobbish to look down on people who do it because they are interested in the subject and did not realise it was frowned upoon by LSE. Well I'd like to see how you would cope with Film Studies A Level. Half the people in my college last year who took it failed the Film Studies practical media coursework as it is VERY HARD.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 43
Tek
What on earth...? Do you have trouble differentiating "Wine Studies" at Westminster Uni from Philosophy at Oxford? Jesus....do you just not understand the issue at all?

I think actually Tek, you completely missed *her* point.
Reply 44
Ladyluck
That is so snobby and selfish.

No it's not, it's called a meritocracy.

If you get EEU at A Level, you are too stupid to do a degree. You should not even have done A Levels. You should have left school at 16.
Reply 45
amazingtrade

Its all about the person not what bloody subjects you take.

Well said :smile:
Tek

No, you claimed that people who do mickey mouse A Levels go on to do mickey mouse degrees. I did what might be considered mickey mouse A Levels and yet am not doing a mickey mouse degree.

Reply 47
Ladyluck
That is so snobby and selfish. You dont consider people may not be as gifted as you, and for all the trying in the world wont get A's, that doesnt make hem any less deserving of a place at a Uni, so what if it is a poly.
Not everyone gets opportunity laid on a plate before them.
Why shouldn't "Tracy" want to better her future and do a degree in a subject that she likes. She will still come out with a degree, which can offer opportunities for management / teaching whatever.

At least she wont be on benefits at home doing nothing for herself. When she graduates and earns a job will be paying tax like everyone else. She in turn will be supposedly paying for someone elses education, and personally i'd rather it was someone like her, than someone like you :rolleyes:

Very nicely said. This the is the whole stupid issue. If you go Oxbridge then good for you you have worked hard you deserve it. However if you're at Manchester Met you have probably still worked hard and deserved it. Despite what people think not many universities other places on just two EE's. It only tend to be the less popular ones. These people probably won't graduate anyway and will dropout. However I am sure some of them will go on to do well and get a good degree out of that.

My uncle went to a secondary modern school (worse than comps) he ended up going to university and is earning £70k a year now as a direct result of his degree.
Reply 48
hildabeast
No, you claimed that people who do mickey mouse A Levels go on to do mickey mouse degrees. I did what might be considered mickey mouse A Levels and yet am not doing a mickey mouse degree.

The point still holds. Is English Language and Literature akin to "Communication Studies" at A Level?
Tek
No it's not, it's called a meritocracy.

If you get EEU at A Level, you are too stupid to do a degree. You should not even have done A Levels. You should have left school at 16.

Two Es at A Level is enough to go on to certain courses. Two Es is still two passes, and yes, someone who got two Es from Eton where they have had exceptional teaching way well be classed as 'stupid', but for many people who haven't had these advantages this is a real achievement. That's certainly not very meritocratic in itself. My local university takes students with 2 Es (sometimes less) and they go on to vocational degree courses which have links with local businesses, so they are very employable.

Reply 50
hildabeast
It's snobbish to look down on people who do it because they are interested in the subject and did not realise it was frowned upoon by LSE. Well I'd like to see how you would cope with Film Studies A Level. Half the people in my college last year who took it failed the Film Studies practical media coursework as it is VERY HARD.

I took film studies, because I'm interested in the subject, and the time I was picking my A Levels it's an area I was interested in. It may not be the hardest thing ever, but it's not something that any old idiot could pass. It's valid and repected to study books and literature in English Lit. So why shouldn't we study film?
Reply 51
Tek
I
Now why the f**k my parents have to fund Tracey (who incidentally will qualify for Government support) to do a degree in "Media Studies" from East London Polytechnic when she has EEU at A Level is beyond me. People like her are simply too stupid to be involved in any form of academic study, and it's a bloody disgrace that we taxpayers have to finance it. Will she benfit society? Hmm NO.

re-edited due to comp refresh error.
But hey i can take this opportunity to thank those of you who share my "non snobby" beliefs!
Reply 52
AMazingtrade: Bolton Institute is 10x worse than Man Met, and the only EE students who get there make it through dodgy dealings.

Tek, you're acting like all the "Mets" "JOhn Moores" and ex polytechniques are letting in complete idiots, they're not, some very bright friends of mine are going to them, averaging B grades.Dare I say it, brighter than you?
Tek
The point still holds. Is English Language and Literature akin to "Communication Studies" at A Level?

Well, it has been classified in the 'mickey mouse' category before, and that was your point. If I had known it would be looked down on I would have done English Lit, but I preferred the Lang/Lit course. What's wrong with that???

Reply 54
Frances
I took film studies, because I'm interested in the subject, and the time I was picking my A Levels it's an area I was interested in. It may not be the hardest thing ever, but it's not something that any old idiot could pass. It's valid and repected to study books and literature in English Lit. So why shouldn't we study film?

That is exactly the same with me, I am studying Multimedia and Internet Technology because I love the internet so much, I love knowing how it all works down to binary level and I love producing fairly advanced websites. I will probably go on to get a first a good 2:1 with honours and then get a good job because I can be employed with little further training.

It maybe considered as micky mouse because I find it easy because its a natural interest but who cares? I've learn't so much over the last year I don't care if my university is ranked 63/125.
Reply 55
fishpaste
AMazingtrade: Bolton Institute is 10x worse than Man Met, and the only EE students who get there make it through dodgy dealings.

Tek, you're acting like all the "Mets" "JOhn Moores" and ex polytechniques are letting in complete idiots, they're not, some very bright friends of mine are going to them, averaging B grades.Dare I say it, brighter than you?

The MET did offer a place to a person for a chemestry course with just two EE's. It was on the front page of evening news. Bolton offered them a place on the same course with just one E. Salford said you can study here but that person would have to an HND first.

Manchester Met is very good for an ex poly the teaching standards are high, its just the research that lets it down. Salford has the opposite problem, very good for research not so good on teaching. Bolton isn't that good for either and has like the highest drop out rates in the country. This does not mean that everybody who goes to Bolton is thick and is doing a mickymouse course.

I lot of people go to ex polys because it is the nearest uni to them and they cannot afford to move out.
Reply 56
amazingtrade
That is exactly the same with me, I am studying Multimedia and Internet Technology because I love the internet so much, I love knowing how it all works down to binary level and I love producing fairly advanced websites. I will probably go on to get a first a good 2:1 with honours and then get a good job because I can be employed with little further training.

It maybe considered as micky mouse because I find it easy because its a natural interest but who cares? I've learn't so much over the last year I don't care if my university is ranked 63/125.

If you can study something you enjoy and get a decent job at the end of it, then who cares what idiots like Tek think? :wink:

Salford is a pretty decent Uni, my Politics teacher has a degree in history and politics from there. My sister applied there as well.
Reply 57
fishpaste

Yes they are.

Oh, and I hold a Scholarship at the best Public School in London, so don't try to guess at my intelligence.
Reply 58
Frances
If you can study something you enjoy and get a decent job at the end of it, then who cares what idiots like Tek think? :wink:

Salford is a pretty decent Uni, my Politics teacher has a degree in history and politics from there. My sister applied there as well.

Well quite, if your sister applied there and if your teacher went there it must obviously be a decent University. Can you back this up on the League Tables please? It might be a little more objective.
Reply 59
hildabeast
Well, it has been classified in the 'mickey mouse' category before, and that was your point. If I had known it would be looked down on I would have done English Lit, but I preferred the Lang/Lit course. What's wrong with that???

As I implied, English Language and Literature is a well respected A Level. Any University would make an offer including it; many Universities would "ignore" Communication Studies.

Latest

Trending

Trending