The Student Room Group

Your favourite A-level mathematics unit ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
M4 all the way, definitely the most interesting module i've done
Reply 21
S1 or D1. Loved both really.
I absolutely love M4 and M5. They contain all of the parts of Pure Maths that are great (Calculus/ Trigonomety/ Vectors) and leave out all of the naff parts (Graphs etc).

I don't think there is anything more satisfying at A Level Maths than solving a particularly tough variable mass question or being able to set up and solve your own 2nd order differential in damped/ forced harmonic motion.

Granted, there are some less fun chapters - I still don't really enjoy the statics-y type chapters, and the ones in M5 are a bitch. I liked vector calculus in the start of M5 but once it starts talking about couples my brain just switches off.

Having said that, my favourite chapters are probably FP3 integration and 1st + Second Order Differentials in FP2, but then again, I'm a bit of a calculus nut.
Reply 23
Where is FP4? :frown: Not that I like it particularly, but it's not so horrible that one shouldn't bother including it!

I liked FP2 best, I think. (This is on AQA.)
Original post by kerily
Where is FP4? :frown: Not that I like it particularly, but it's not so horrible that one shouldn't bother including it!

I liked FP2 best, I think. (This is on AQA.)

Most people do Edexcel and there's no FP4
D1 even though it's pointless.
Reply 26
Original post by ElMoro
(I'm gonna get slaughtered for this) D1 :teehee:

I feel like a chief engineer when carrying out prims algorithm in a table :h: no idea why

my one has to go to M1, though I haven't done any A2 units so far! if I did I would probably change my mind
Reply 27
Original post by dnumberwang
Most people do Edexcel and there's no FP4

I know AQA isn't that popular as a maths board (it shouldn't be used at all as far as I'm concerned, as there's no Additional Further Maths option. So on any other board I'd have 2.5 maths a-levels, but on AQA I only have 2 :frown:) but it does still exist :tongue:
Original post by kerily
I know AQA isn't that popular as a maths board (it shouldn't be used at all as far as I'm concerned, as there's no Additional Further Maths option. So on any other board I'd have 2.5 maths a-levels, but on AQA I only have 2 :frown:) but it does still exist :tongue:

no i meant that Edexcel doesn't do an FP4 exam
Reply 29
Original post by dnumberwang
no i meant that Edexcel doesn't do an FP4 exam

I know - but AQA still does and so it could still be someone's favourite module :smile:

(To be fair, it's unlikely to be unless you're massively infatuated with vectors and matrices.)
Original post by kerily
I know - but AQA still does and so it could still be someone's favourite module :smile:

(To be fair, it's unlikely to be unless you're massively infatuated with vectors and matrices.)

In fairness, FP4 doesn't really contain anything that isn't in the other boards FP1-FP3s. The stuff that's on the Linear Algebra of FP4 is covered equally in Edexcel and OCR, they've effectively just made an 'extra' pure module by taking stuff that's on the other boards pure modules from approximately C4-FP3 and made it into another one in order to make combining modules for FM easier.

I'm not saying any exam board is easier, I'm just saying that the content isn't actually that different between boards, you'll just do it in different quantities and in a different order, so if you wanted to pick FP4, just put FP2/FP3 down as your favourite - you can be pretty sure it will have been covered there.

Plus, I love Vectors; I'm just not very good at relative motion :frown: Curse you closest approach!
Reply 31
FP2 > C3 > The rest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> S1 > D1
Voted M1 because I found it easy and no pressure in the exam. I enjoyed learning FP2 the most because everyone else found it solid and I could do it :3
Reply 33
C1, it's piss easy.
Reply 34
I'm really awful at A–level maths, so much so that it's pushed me almost to the point of depression... I really wish I hadn't taken it.

I had a terrible teacher at AS who made me lose all confidence in the subject and I'm now facing the daunting challenge of sitting all six modules :sad:

It's odd reading about all you people who love maths and find it so simple and engaging... I wish I had half as much talent as some of you :sigh:

I'm a little embarrassed for getting myself into this position... and I feel like I'm starting to piss my friends off a little by being so down all the time.

I guess my favourite modules are D1/C1 for fairly obvious reasons... They're the only two that I think I have a chance at passing if I'm honest.
Reply 35
Original post by Rahul.S
u 4rgot m4 and m5 -_-

And where were you when it was listed, you should've gone to specsavers...... actually where i went :tongue:
Errrm noones mentioned DE....
DE is by far the most fun
Reply 37
I've only done C1, D2, and S2 so far. I am due to do C2, FP1 and D1 over the next couple of weeks. I like the pure stuff, it's real maths. Gotta love complex numbers. Thought stats was Ok. But I hate both decisions modules with a passion.
Who the **** decided that sorting numbers into numerical order should be part of an advanced level maths course?! It's this whole namby pamby thing where subjects were made to go out of their way to have applications in real life, and actually ended up creating something which is less applicable to real life than the pure stuff anyway.
Reply 38
Original post by Liam_G
I'm really awful at A–level maths, so much so that it's pushed me almost to the point of depression... I really wish I hadn't taken it.

I had a terrible teacher at AS who made me lose all confidence in the subject and I'm now facing the daunting challenge of sitting all six modules :sad:

It's odd reading about all you people who love maths and find it so simple and engaging... I wish I had half as much talent as some of you :sigh:

I'm a little embarrassed for getting myself into this position... and I feel like I'm starting to piss my friends off a little by being so down all the time.

I guess my favourite modules are D1/C1 for fairly obvious reasons... They're the only two that I think I have a chance at passing if I'm honest.

:console: Don't stress out, man, it's not good for you. Just try your best and nobody can ask for any better. Hope it all works out for you :smile:

If you ever need help with anything, feel free to drop me a PM :wink2: (modules done/doing are: C1-4, FP1, M1-2, D1)
Reply 39
Eh? How did mechanics score so high? LOL C1 all the way ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending